Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best phone on the market right now?

• 16-07-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia N95 at the moment which I was happy with until I started having problems with the slider being very loose. I'm not happy with it at all now and although this is happening to most N95's I am not accepting that it is a normal feature of the phone.

There are a load of threads on different forums online with people having this problem and some even using electrical tape on the rails to fix it themselves which seems to be sorting it for most people. I didn't pay over 600 Euro for this phone to mess about trying to fix it myself with bloody electrical tape.

Has anyone had luck getting this phone fixed at a Nokia drop-off centre? I'm wary because I've heard they are usually crap with Nokia phones that haven't been on the market very long. I'm gonna give it a bash and if they can't fix it I'll be getting my money back from the eBay seller Nokia themselves.

Also... what's the best phone on the market right now with a similar or closest feature set to the N95?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Silly question. The best phone for you is not necessarily the best phone for me. try outlining your needs and what you need in a phone and maybe you'll get some useful replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Depends on your requirements

e.g.

OS - Symbian or Windows Mobile
    Camera
    GPS builtin
    Keyboard
    Screen Resolution
    3G/HDSPA etc
    Push email

I have Toshiba G900 and am very happy with it, 800x480 screen is great for web and remote desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Sony Ericsson K800i is my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

elderlemon wrote:
    Silly question. The best phone for you is not necessarily the best phone for me. try outlining your needs and what you need in a phone and maybe you'll get some useful replies.

True that, I've edited my post slightly. :) How about the best phone with a similar feature set to the N95?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

kyub wrote:
    True that, I've edited my post slightly. :) How about the best phone with a similar feature set to the N95?

imo the phone with the feature set most similar to the n95 at the moment is the htc kaiser/p4550 which afaik has just been/is about to be released. it's windows mobile 6 os though not symbian.
    it has:
    a slider qwerty (which has a flip design meaning it can be used as you would a laptop)
    gps (qualcomm chip- meant to be reliable)
    hsdpa/hsupa (i don't think the n95 has hsupa)
    wm6 which confers on it push-email type capabilities (outlook account is quasi-push-email but hotmail account is actual push-email afaik)
    wifi-g
    bluetooth 2.0
    not vga (not sure if you need that tbh on small screen though)
    3mp camera (not as good as the n95's 5mp presumably).
    the n95 also looks neater though and is a lot lighter.

btw have nokia brought out a second device with inbuilt gps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

mkennedy wrote:
    btw have nokia brought out a second device with inbuilt gps?
    E90?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'd say the E90 is the "best" phone on the market right now in some ways. It's the highest end Nokia phone on the market, and has a feature list that almost includes making tea.

That being said, "best" doesn't necessarily mean "best"... It all depends on what you are trying to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

skearon wrote:
    I have Toshiba G900 and am very happy with it, 800x480 screen is great for web and remote desktop

Never heard of this so decided to have a look-see on the www... Wow, nice looking phone, i now want one... (but in no way need or anything, i'm using a nokia 6103 it does me fine, just envious...) Expensive bugger though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

the Toshiba G900 is getting slated over on the expansys forums. Apparently there is a software patch out the end of this week.

The Kaiser has been added to expansys - €765

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

dulpit wrote:
    Never heard of this so decided to have a look-see on the www... Wow, nice looking phone, i now want one... (but in no way need or anything, i'm using a nokia 6103 it does me fine, just envious...) Expensive bugger though...

Woah, I was really impressed with the Toshiba too until I saw pics showing the size of the bloody thing. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement