Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[VISTA] Restart/Shutdown

• 16-07-2007 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

One thing I immediately noticed about Vista was the lack of a Restart function so here is a nice fix I found after a fair bit of googling that I thought I would share with you lovely Boardsies...

To create a shortcut on your desktop to restart your computer:

1) Right click anywhere on desktop and select New > Shortcut
    2) For "Type the location of the item" type shutdown -r -t 0
    3) Click Next, then enter a name, such as Restart My PC
    4) Click Finish

To create a shortcut on your desktop to shutdown your computer:

1) Right click anywhere on desktop and select New > Shortcut
    2) For "Type the location of the item" type shutdown -s -t 0
    3) Click Next, then enter a name, such as Shutdown My PC
    4) Click Finish

Works a treat and is that little bit quicker seeing as you don't need to access the start menu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

From the desktop, I think Ctrl+F4 gives you the classic shutdown menu: shutdown, restart, hibernate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

ethernet wrote:
    From the desktop, I think Ctrl+F4 gives you the classic shutdown menu: shutdown, restart, hibernate.

Just checked and it's ALT + F4 that does that. I still prefer my way. Less buttons to press and drop down menus to use. You just double click on an icon on the desktop and away it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Plenty of time and energy saved there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

One thing I immediately noticed about Vista was the lack of a Restart function

Im confused ! Click the blue button , then the arrow beside the padlock on the bottom of the screen , restart is the fourth option from the top ! Is this not in every version of Vista ?

So its 3 clicks away , same as it was on XP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The shortcuts are handy but I tend to agree with mathias the restart button isn't exactly difficult to get to.

Plus if you really miss the shutdown button you can change the start menu power button which is set to sleep by default to shutdown instead.

Go into the control panel\power options\change plan settings\change advanced power settings\power buttons and lid\start menu power button

Now you can select shutdown from the menu and the button will change from the yellow sleep to a red power off in the start menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe he did not know about that sub menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

All time and effort spent will be appriciated by those looking for simple options. Well done.

That said there are a number of different ways present within the system to do the same thing. Pick what's best for you.

Cheers
    Howard

Aha. I have only been using Vista a few days now. On my google travels regarding the restart function it never mentioned that not blatantly obvious (to me anyway) sub menu. I hadn't actually seen that damn arrow. Still. I like my shiny shortcut and as someone else said, some people will like the option of having it on the desktop rather than the other perfectly acceptable options presented in the other posts. Thanks for the relevant info guys. Hope someone else liked my suggestion anyway and it suited your way of computing.

:)

Oh by the by, 8t8...

It wasn't actually the Shutdown function that I was missing. I had that sorted in minutes of using Vista for the first time. It was just the Restart function. I only added the other instructions for Shutdown in my original post in case anybody else liked the simplicity of having shortcuts to the function on the desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Soundman wrote:
    Just checked and it's ALT + F4 that does that. I still prefer my way. Less buttons to press and drop down menus to use. You just double click on an icon on the desktop and away it goes.
    You're lucky you're not greeted by an UAC promt to proceed :D

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote:
    You're lucky you're not greeted by an UAC promt to proceed :D

First thing I disabled. ;)

Advertisement