Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License?

Options
  • 16-07-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some clarification on this.

I know sea fishing is fair game, but am I right in thinking that you need a permit/licence to fish rivers? I don't mean for Salmon on the Boyne I mean for wild rivers or lakes on common ground. Perhaps I'm being naive but it seems silly that someone can govern a public place like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

For some areas you do need a license, others you don't. You need to check with a local tackle shop. If a club or organisation stock/protect particular waters then its fairly obvious that it isn't going to be free to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

For some areas you do need a license, others you don't. You need to check with a local tackle shop. If a club or organisation stock/protect particular waters then its fairly obvious that it isn't going to be free to fish.

Yeah I completely understand if it's stocked, but can a club just decide you need a day ticket for a stretch of river because it's in their locality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Yes a club has leased the rights to a river in some cases one club may have one bank and another club will have the opposite bank. It does not cost that much to join a club. I pay €25.00 for the season not bad considering some stillwaters charge that for half a day. €25.00 is not a lot and considering the work my club does in conservation and maintenance of the river banks. I would gladly pay 4-5 times more for the enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yes a club has leased the rights to a river in some cases one club may have one bank and another club will have the opposite bank. It does not cost that much to join a club. I pay €25.00 for the season not bad considering some stillwaters charge that for half a day. €25.00 is not a lot and considering the work my club does in conservation and maintenance of the river banks. I would gladly pay 4-5 times more for the enjoyment.

Hear ya on that. The spot I wanna fish is almost unreachable though....I'd be more inclined to pay if it wasn't full of rubbish, plastic deck chairs, carpet and surrounded by nettles, brambles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Where do you want to fish? Are you even sure there are fish with all the rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement