Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC died, new mobo etc, now WinXP won't load

• 16-07-2007 7:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have a PC that died on me due to a power surge.
    So I installed a new mobo, CPU and RAM, which was no problem.
    However, the PC won't load Windows, it just keeps rebooting as soon as it hits the Windows startup screen (I sometimes get the briefest of glimpses of a blue error screen before it reboots - but it's too brief for me to read any of it).
    Whether I try to boot into safe mode or normal mode I get the same problem.

I imagine the above problem is driver related, as Windows is presumably looking for the old hardware on bootup, getting confused and rebooting.

Any ideas?

I don't want to start again with this PC, as there's a lot of stuff on it I want to retain.
    Can I re-install Windows on top without losing my applications?
    Can I use the Recovery Console to solve this?
    If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the motherboard uses a different chipset and/or HDD controller to the old motherboard then you will almost certainly see a STOP 07 error.

A repair install MIGHT work - just be very careful and read the screens to make sure it's not going to format the driver or wipe the existing install.

If the power surge damaged the registry then the repair install may not work.

Don't forget the OEM license for XP does only allows the Manufacturer to change the motherboard under warranty - all other motherboard changes invalidate your license.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If the motherboard uses a different chipset and/or HDD controller to the old motherboard then you will almost certainly see a STOP 07 error.

A repair install MIGHT work - just be very careful and read the screens to make sure it's not going to format the driver or wipe the existing install.

If the power surge damaged the registry then the repair install may not work.

Don't forget the OEM license for XP does only allows the Manufacturer to change the motherboard under warranty - all other motherboard changes invalidate your license.

Thanks, I'll try that.
    Re. the license issue, it's originally a self build PC, will I need to re-activate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

almost certainly, cba posting the link but the hash is formed from several devices, you are allowed to change 3 on desktop and 8 on laptop (give or take) the difference is if the computer had a pcmcia controller or not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Just installed WinXP over the old install.
    Did have to re-activate, but PC is working fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement