Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another quick question re: car documents

Options
  • 16-07-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Just another quickie, buying a car tonight, can someone confirm what I need in terms of documents?

At the moment I think I just have to fill in the registration document, sign it, get seller to sign it, and then send off to shannon.

Apart from that I'm getting the two keys, and a receipt.

Is that it? What's this I hear about a licensing certificate?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope I think that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Citizens information says something about a vehicle licensing certificate aswell as a registration certificate - I thought they were one and the same?

Can anyone shed some light?

"If you privately buy a vehicle that was first registered after this date, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government. The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate to you when you buy the vehicle."

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Elessar wrote:
    Citizens information says something about a vehicle licensing certificate aswell as a registration certificate - I thought they were one and the same?

Can anyone shed some light?

"If you privately buy a vehicle that was first registered after this date, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government. The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate to you when you buy the vehicle."

this is usually what you call the log book - the item you sign and the seller signs - this is what you send off to shannon. when the docs get back to you there may be a VLC with it for your own information. If there is no log book, the tax office will provide you with a new VLC in order to complete the sale and that is what you send off to shannon in that case. If you are unsure of what to do as regards after the sale, consult the dept of environment website or call into the tax office to get advice. if all you are getting from the seller is the log book, keys and reciept, that is enough for you, though a service history would be nice too, but all too rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It is the seller who is obliged to send the VLC or log book (older car) to Shannon. They would be foolish to give it to you.

Bring an envelope and a stamp with you, and accompany the seller to the letter box to see them post it, to be sure.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote:
    It is the seller who is obliged to send the VLC or log book (older car) to Shannon. They would be foolish to give it to you.

Correct. It is in the sellers interest to ensure that the vehicle changes ownership correctly - otherwise he will get the letters relating to traffic offences that may arise in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

esel wrote:
    Bring an envelope and a stamp with you, and accompany the seller to the letter box to see them post it, to be sure.
    :confused: It is in the seller's interest to ensure it is posted. Why should the buyer bring a SAE and ensure it is posted?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's freepost anyway, no stamp required so you're all wrong! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:
    It's freepost anyway, no stamp required so you're all wrong! ;)
    Smarty pants! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nupplenits

Smarty pants! :D

Crap, i just sent one away today and i paid 60c for a stamp!

Advertisement