Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOVE TARA march, Saturday 21 July@1pm

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

A quick question to those objecting to the Motorway and interchange.
    I've just learned from another thread in the Meath forum that the new pylons proposed by Eirgrid could be up to 37 metres tall, which I feel in a flat county like Meath will be visible for many many miles, including from the Hill of Tara.

Now, I personally dont have any major issue with the pylons either, but I'm wondering of the folk worried about the visibility of the road and interchange from the top of the hill would have any concerns about the visibility of these huge metal pylons?
    After all, the Hill of Tara itself is not exactly far from any of the proposed routes for these power lines.

Just interested to hear peoples opinions.

http://www.eirgrid.ie/EirgridPortal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=MC%20Route%20Corridor%20Options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Grimes wrote: »
    Yeah thats more or less the big one they are telling.

Also the use of the phrase "sou-terrain complex" in their literature. Its kind of like saying "ritual" pantries.

I believe they misquoted Prof. George Eoghan and give false archaeological definitions.

There was more, but I cant remember, have to get a copy of the leaflet I found clogging up my favourite cafe.

who's misquoting who

http://seanharnett.blogspot.com/2007/05/more-about-tara.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I didnt say George Eoghan didnt say anything on TARA. I said they misquoted him. That post was three months ago so I cant remember exactly what it was they said that he stated but i dont see how your post shows i misquoted George Eoghan when i quoted no one ????? :confused:

what more then you want

http://www.savetara.com/letters/2004/052604_hill.html

Tara is not just a hill
    George Eogan,

Ah cool. Ask him what he thinks of that woman digging a 10m deep hole under Rath Lugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Just a quick comment regarding the pylons. The cost of running the cable over ground will be circa 120 million euro. The cost of undergrounding cables, will be approx 10 times as much, around 1.2 billion euro. The TOTAL value of the entire NIE transmission network is around 820 million....

The one place the cables WON'T be going is in the ground.....

Some interesting reading, especially from the references here ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Also...
    high voltage underground cables require gas being pumped through them to keep them cool as well as insulate them, overhead conductors do not, therefore more money is needed to keep the gas flowing. If you have a short circuit or earth fault in an underground conductor you have to dig up several kilometers of cable just to find out where the fault is.

Grimes wrote: »
    Ah cool. Ask him what he thinks of that woman digging a 10m deep hole under Rath Lugh.

nothing compared to miles of motorway, any archaeologist advocating building the road through tara is nonpracticing fraud.

nothing compared to miles of motorway, any archaeologist advocating building the road through tara is nonpracticing fraud.

okay so a little bit of destruction is okay if it makes a point for two days. There is also a difference between an archaeologist and a conservationist.

Advertisement