Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

exchange or send back

• 16-07-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

my 360 has just died .i bought my 360 in march of this year in gamestop and i was just wondering if they wud give me a new one or wud they tell me to send it to microsoft.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

they will tell you to send it, or you can tell them to look after it since your guarantee is with the store. either way it goes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mailrewop wrote:
    my 360 has just died .i bought my 360 in march of this year in gamestop and i was just wondering if they wud give me a new one or wud they tell me to send it to microsoft.

Take it to the store, they should exchange it right there after checking it out.
    I have seen it been done before.

I'm just going to have to buy a new one myself as I'm not paying for pick up and repair and wait over a month, just not worth the time and money for me. I have to pay for it as its not a ring of death failure and I've had it for 18 months.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gamestop should replace it.

Captain Chaos don't pay for it just lie to Xbox and tell them you got the 3 red lights, bingo-bango free repair.

I'll give it a try.

I'm just an impatient (sp) person with more money than sense.:D
    That and the wait is going to bug me. I really want to play that Ace Combat demo on Live.

Guys,
    if your 360 is over a month old most stores will tell you to send it to MS or they will do it for you. Gamestop included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

I work in Gamestop and if u have ur receipt and it is in warrenty it will be replaced straight away, no hassle

Really, well that's not your companies policy in Limerick...because at least 3 mates brought there's back and as it was over a month old it had to go back to MS. In fact when you buy the thing in Gamestop they tell you its covered for 30 days by them and after that it's MS. Don't know how many times I have heard staff say this.

Well it's covered for a year in GAME, don't see why Gamestop wouldn't do that either?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Id advise sending it to microsoft for repair even if it is still in warrenty with the shop. The new one will more than likely not have the new heatsink and other stuf they changed(not a clue what it is) and you might end up having to send that one back anyway. Better just to solve the issue here and now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if you have a receipt and its under one year old your entitled to insist on a replacement from game by Irish consumer law.

You dont have to accept a repair. I went in at the weekend in game in blanchardstown and got mine replaced. they tried fobbing me off tp microsoft but i was insistent and won out.

• Advertisement

miju wrote:
    if you have a receipt and its under one year old your entitled to insist on a replacement from game by Irish consumer law.

You dont have to accept a repair. I went in at the weekend in game in blanchardstown and got mine replaced. they tried fobbing me off tp microsoft but i was insistent and won out.
    No-one fobs anyone off. I work in that store and all the weekend staff know the protocol when someone brings in an xbox. If it's within a year and if you have proof of purchase you're walking out with a new 360 provided we have stock.

Well thats bad for timing for you because I can tell you now thats complete tosh. For example at 1pm on Friday just gone I was in the shop buying Fight Night 3 (good game BTW) and was behind a guy who had already had 1 xbox exchanged and had the ring of death and was now looking for a 2nd exchange.

The manager / assistant manager and another shop assistant behind the till was telling the customer that they wont exchange it and it will have to go back to Microsoft because his first xbox (which had already been replaced) was now over a year old and that the new xbox wasn't covered by same receipt. Basically completely lying to the customer and fobbing him off.

Anyway, after I'd finished in the que I leant into the customers ear told him his actual consumer rights and that replacement machines have their warranty started all over again and then left the store.

They tried the exact same with me about sending it back to Microsoft when I went in on the Sat but realised very quickly they were getting no-where fast.

Dunno how it finished but after witnessing two staff members lie bare faced to the customer I wont be going back into that store again unless it's to get another exchange on my xbox360

All of the above is 110% FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I work in Gamestop and if u have ur receipt and it is in warrenty it will be replaced straight away, no hassle

Must be just your shop mate as I bought mine in the Dun Laoghaire branch and the manager served me and made it quite clear that if my 360 failed in the 1st MONTH they'd replace it but after that he showed me a number for MS on my receipt.

Basically said the company policy was to replace the console within the 1st month no questions asked and after that you deal with MS. I think he did say that if you bring in a console after the month they would organise MS to pick it up from the store but he defo said you wont get a new console?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

miju wrote:

Anyway, after I'd finished in the que I leant into the customers ear told him his actual consumer rights and that replacement machines have their warranty started all over again and then left the store.

Any links to back up that "fact". I always thought that a warranty came when you purchased an item. When you get it replaced you're not purchasing a new item. I could be wrong but there's no mention of that fact on the Irish citizens info sites.

Edit:

The only similar info I can find is from an English website (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0054-1111.txt)

Q. I bought a microwave oven four months ago, and it went wrong. The shop has replaced it with a brand new one, which is working well. They won't, however, give me a new guarantee for this replacement. Can I demand one?

A. No. Remember, guarantees are viewed as being an optional extra, and are provided in addition to your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). Manufacturers will usually argue that their intention is to provide you with extra protection under the guarantee for a fixed period of time after the initial purchase, often for twelve months. Therefore, no matter how many repairs or replacements you get, it is usual for the manufacturers to stick to this time limit. You can always try negotiating though - sometimes persistence pays off, especially if you have had lots of problems with a particular make or model.

I know we're not in England and the law could be different but if you can supply links to where it says the guarantee restarts when you get a new item in Ireland we'd all benefit.

Edit again. Found some Irish stuff.
    You get statuatory rights with everything.
    Guarantee is optional but generally every manufacturer gives them but they're decided by the manufacturer. http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Jargon_Buster/G%20-%20Guarantee.html
    Warranty is generally something you purchase. Like an insurance policy.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Jargon_Buster/W%20-%20Waiver%20to%20WEEE.html

Am I wrong there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Mine is still goin strong by the way.........fingers crossed! Bought in Feb.

Yeah Miju, when a console is replaced a guarantee is not renewed. it's what we're told by head office. So if the customers original box was purchased over a year ago, went faulty within that year and was replaced the new one is not guaranteed from replacement date but from original purchase date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeah Miju, when a console is replaced a guarantee is not renewed. it's what we're told by head office. So if the customers original box was purchased over a year ago, went faulty within that year and was replaced the new one is not guaranteed from replacement date but from original purchase date.

Surely by the time it ends up in Microsoft Germany they go by the manufacturing date anyway, not a receipt.....

Im guessing!

Fieldog, I don't know :confused:

The only thing that concerns me about what staff are told is that GAME is an english company and I'm not too sure if they look into Irish law when they give us procedures for dealing with faulties.

well then your head office is wrong breaking the law. the information used to be on the ODCA.ie website before tey changed to consumer connect but I will dig it out and post it.

But basically when anything is replaced then the consumer rights of
    Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

start all over again. This is the same whether its the 20th time something has been replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Warranties can get extended sometimes, say you're in the last month of a warranty or something and you get a replacement, sometimes you can get some months extra to cover the replacement.
    But they definitely do not reset. Getting a replacement doesn't mean you get a whole new warranty.

• Advertisement

I'm telling you Koneko I 100% for fact that it does. I remember where I read it now ad it was on www.irishstatutebooks.ie so I'm just reading through it now and will post up the relevant article of law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd like to see a page that says that if you can dig it up. I know from experience (work) that you can get an extension on your warranty if you're near the end, but warranties don't reset. Sure, if they did, you could get a replacement near the end each time and never ever run out of warranty. That's not how a warranty works. You're not making a new purchase so there is no new warranty agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In Argos replacements receive a full new warranty. If you receive a new product fresh from a box, you are entitled to that products warranty.

Its not your original purchase.

What people have to remember is that different shops have different policies, and aslong as you are made aware of them its not against the law.

Alot of shops selling 360's dont inform you they cover items for 30 days after that its manafacturer. Now by law the retailer is bound to deal with you for the full warranty, unless its certain circumstances which have been requested by the manafacturer.

MS, apple, dyson are examples of companies who require products not to be replaced but to be sent for repair. This is to test products for faults but also save money on scamming.

So what have we learned?

If your worried about a product breaking and you know in advance they have a ****ty repair (xbox 360) buy in a store that guarantees instant replacement.

Ive had 3 xbox 360's this week from argos no hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Ive had 3 xbox 360's this week from argos no hassle.

So for each replacement Xbox they gave you a new receipt or a receipt saying the warranty started at the replacement date?
    Edit: Daft question. If the 3 boxes were in the same week it makes no difference. But do they give you a new receipt when you bring something faulty back normally?

Gamestop should replace it.

Captain Chaos don't pay for it just lie to Xbox and tell them you got the 3 red lights, bingo-bango free repair.

Actually just a few mins ago I tried to switch on my again 360 and bingo, the 3 red lights I was looking for. It took 2 weeks for that to happen:confused:.

Also does anyone know the deal abaot getting your hard drive back intact from a repair job? I know not everyone will get the same 360 back that they sent in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DO NOT, I repeat NOT give them your hardrive, you wont see it again!

Then again, if its only new go for it! As long as you have no Arcade games on it..... as you can only play them when the 360 is connected to Live.....

Fieldog wrote:
    DO NOT, I repeat NOT give them your hardrive, you wont see it again!

Then again, if its only new go for it! As long as you have no Arcade games on it..... as you can only play them when the 360 is connected to Live.....

It is 18 months old and there is a lot of game save data and Forza 2 custom cars that I'd hate to lose. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i sent off my hardrive and got it back again

miju wrote:

WRONG!! Please produce the piece of law which says that. The seller is entitled to repair the goods within reasonable time or replace if neccessary. It's not like I can go back to the garage with my 7 month old car and demand a new one if the engine is overheating, without the garage first trying to repair it. Your fooling yourself if you think this is how retailers in this country operate. You just got lucky that they caved.

I was lucky too. Gamestop were kind enough to replace my 360 which was just over the 30 day threshold for sending back to MS, but the new 360 warranty did not reset for anyone interested.

This is interesting. http://www.euroconsumatori.org/16856v18340d18510.html
    Doesn't say whether the consumer can insist on repair or replacement. And if the fault occurs in the first 6 months it's deemed to be at time of delivery. After 6 months, you have to prove it. And after 2 years, you have to prove it should have lasted longer. Nowhere does it mention you are entitled to a replacement on the spot.

Some people just seem to think you are.

• Advertisement

*sigh* most people know your entitled to a replacement or refund if a product is faulty you DO NOT have to accept a repair. the law on cars is actually seperate to that of electrical products. if you'd read any of the links posted above you'd have seen that

Advertisement