Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

exchange or send back

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

well done for getting your rights flaccus :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Now my 27" Dell which is 2 days old has a knackered vga input...shall be getting my rights again tommorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Flaccus wrote:
    Anyway, I'm sure the staff loved your ranting and raving as you stood your ground to get your rights and embarrased yourself in the process, but of course you felt good about yourself afterwards.

Is this what you did to get your exchange then yeah? Grew a pair in the end?

Har..har....did you think of that all by yourself or get mammy and daddy to help you

Well your the one who ended up doing what Miju was saying all along...so it's nice to see some sort of maturity because usually mentally challenged people like yourself don't mature...

PS: No, your mommy helped me...;)

• Advertisement

dont feed the troll flaccus

miju, as it turned out the 360 was around a month old, maybe a little more. I didn't even have to ask for a refund as the shop manager asked me what I would like to do...I decided on the ps3 as I had enough of the noise the 360 generates even though it has a wider selection of games. They even took in 4 games I had and gave me full price as I had the receipt and they were not much use without a 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

cheesedude, I've reported your post above.

cheesedude, I've reported your post above.

That's great man...well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lads all this does not answer whether a warranty is renewed with a replacement console though.

my xbox died about two months ago, at that time microsoft told me that I'd have to pay for the repairs (it was the three red sectors) but that once it was repaired, the warranty would be 'reset' (their words) to the date of repair.

However, I rang them again last week when I heard that they are doing the repair FOC, and asked if that was the case still, and they said no - They will repair it free (forever I think) if you get the three red sectors, but for anything else, the warranty applies from date of sale.

• Advertisement

That's interesting...so for the rings of death, it's from date of repair, anything else it's still from date of purchase. My mate brought his 360 back to gamestop and it was just over 30 days old so they didn't fuss about replacing it though they reminded him they could have asked him to send it off to MS. Anyway, the warranty they said was still from date of purchase. I have no idea what it should be legally but it seems to be common practice to set it from date of original purchase it seems. Although my Mum got here fridge repaired/replaced for like the 3rd time in under a year and they kept giving her a new warranty from date of repair/replacement. So no idea what the law is on this.

Flaccus wrote:
    Although my Mum got here fridge repaired/replaced for like the 3rd time in under a year and they kept giving her a new warranty from date of repair/replacement. So no idea what the law is on this.

she got that because that is the law. new appliance = completely new product = warranty starts all over again

miju wrote:
    she got that because that is the law. new appliance = completely new product = warranty starts all over again

That makes sense...that's what Argos did for me too.

So when a Vodafone shop gives you a new phone or repairs it 8 months months down the line after it goes kaputt and tell you your warranty is from date of receipt, they are breaking the law ?

no if you accept a repair on a phone then the warranty is from date of purchase. if you insisted on a replacement phone then that warranty starts from scratch if you get me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

miju wrote:
    no if you accept a repair on a phone then the warranty is from date of purchase. if you insisted on a replacement phone then that warranty starts from scratch if you get me

Miju you still never posted the link to that like you said you would. It's not in the sale of goods act or on the consumer sites. They only talk about getting it replaced within a reasonable period of time if it's not fit for what you bought it for (which DOES NOT = Warranty). Any sign of that link?

Like I linked to all the way on page 1.

You get your statutory rights with everything (this is your replacement within a reasonable amount of time)

Guarantee is optional. http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Jargon_Buster/G%20-%20Guarantee.html

Warranty is extended guarantee http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Jargon_Buster/W%20-%20Waiver%20to%20WEEE.html

Guarantee is decided by the manufacturer. If they say your guarantee restarts if you get the item replaced then it's enforceable. If they don't then you've got your statutory rights. Which don't say anything about a year.

Now consumerconnect.ie is the site of the National Consumer Agency. If I'm wrong please link to some reputable website rather than just say I'm wrong.

im still trying to find the link as i said already it was on the old ODCA site before they changed to the NCA. I know I'm 100% right about it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hardly an expert, but this is what Citizens Advice had to say.

They say that you are entitled to an exchange or a refund within 14 days AT YOUR DISCRETION for any faulty product. After 14 days, it is up to the seller to either replace, refund or repair within a reasonable time frame. They say that the law is not clear on what a reasonable time frame is but to get in writing the length of time they say it will take so you can hold them to that. If a repair is not satisfactory, and the same problem occurs (again, within a reasonable timeframe, ie it happens within a day and not 6 months down the road), you are entited to an exchange or refund. If a different fault occurs after a repair (ie your washing machine wouldn't spin firsty, and now it won't put in water. Different problem), the seller has a choice of repair, refund or replacement. Again, this was told to me by Citizens Advice (1890777121).

As for the warranties, I'm pretty sure it's from the date of purchase. If an item breaks, I believe the legal obligation of the seller is either 90 days warranty or the remainder of the warranty period, whichever is longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Flaccus wrote:
    That's interesting...so for the rings of death, it's from date of repair, anything else it's still from date of purchase.

not quite - there's a small but important difference - all repairs are carried out FOC if your box is under warranty, but the rings of death will always be fixed free, no matter when you bought the console. At least that was my understanding of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

chrislad wrote:
    As for the warranties, I'm pretty sure it's from the date of purchase. If an item breaks, I believe the legal obligation of the seller is either 90 days warranty or the remainder of the warranty period, whichever is longer.

Exactly, so for instance if you have a month left on your warranty, it will be extended a bit, but if you're in the first month of your warranty, it'll remain the way it was, from the date of original purchase.

Miju you can say you're 100% right all you want but you aren't, if you can find something to back that up do post it, but until then you can't say you're 100% right. A store or manufacturer may decide to do this, but if they do then it's a gesture of goodwill, not a law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

So yup, my friends xbox died while i was playin it. It was bought 8 months ago (for Christmas) in my local gamestop.

I really dont want it to be sent to MS as it takes 3 weeks. As I see it the contract is with Gamestop.

Problem is i dont have the receipt. What can I do?

Also would i have to trade in my harddrive, and lose all my Files?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't think it would make a difference if you had one or not, they won't change it on the spot after 8 months, it's in MS hands now.

Have to ring MS and get it sent to Germany, mine is currently on summer holiday over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

Darn, thats what i feared. So slim to none chance of a quick return? When it was purchased I thought a contract was entered with the retailer?

Anyone else have opinions? -( not that i dont believe you, im just lookin for some hope :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have to ring MS and get it sent to Germany, mine is currently on summer holiday over there.
    So's mine :( Lucky thing gets 20-25 working days off while I'm stuck here with games to play but nothing to play it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

Qwertyboy hi my sons 360 stopped working on friday red ring problem so i brought it back to gamestop. they replaced it with a new one and put my sons harddrive into the new 360. bought it as a christmas present so only eight months old .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Mine is also off on holidays, 4th time since launch the lucky so and so!
    However as its the 4th time they said they are just sending out a new one and it will be only 10 working days. My compensation has already arrived, but no 360 to use with :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Qwertyboy wrote:
    Darn, thats what i feared. So slim to none chance of a quick return? When it was purchased I thought a contract was entered with the retailer?

Anyone else have opinions? -( not that i dont believe you, im just lookin for some hope :( )

Even if you demand the contract is with the retailer (I'm pretty sure you can) they still have to test it and send it to Microsoft. Then you've got to check up on them every week or so to see if they get it back (I would imagine it would be back sitting in the shop for a day or so (at least) before they get on to you).

What if it takes more than 3 weeks. You've got to chase the retailer who's got to chase Microsoft and I'm sure that wouldn't be number one on their priority.

Who pays for the postage if you send it to MS? If it's the customer then I'd be bringing it back to the retailer and let them have the expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Even if you demand the contract is with the retailer (I'm pretty sure you can) they still have to test it and send it to Microsoft. Then you've got to check up on them every week or so to see if they get it back (I would imagine it would be back sitting in the shop for a day or so (at least) before they get on to you).

What if it takes more than 3 weeks. You've got to chase the retailer who's got to chase Microsoft and I'm sure that wouldn't be number one on their priority.

Who pays for the postage if you send it to MS? If it's the customer then I'd be bringing it back to the retailer and let them have the expense.

Microsoft send you a UPS label and then you call UPS to come and collect it quoting the tracking number on the label, but you don't pay anything.

Advertisement