Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building Site Fashion

• 16-07-2007 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm starting my first proper grown up job on a building site as an engineer next week and I have no idea what to wear and still look remotely decent. I know that safety boots are definitely needed, but what else? Jeans? Hoodie? My God, Im going to look like a builder...any suggestions?:confused:

Oh, I'm a girl by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Hipsters (is that what the kids call them these days?) but accented with a thong for that feminine touch. G'luck, watch out for the pencils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A bit late to go shopping but...

Caterpillar desert boots, safety.
    Combats would be a good choice.
    Hoodie or a t-shirt
    High viz jacket.

try and get them a little dirty before you start work, you'll fit in perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Safety boots as you mentioned, jeans a couple of sizes too big for
    maximum bum cleavage exposure. White t-shirt covered in stains from
    oil, muck and ketchup from your breakfast roll. Top it off with a yellow
    hard-hat and colour coordinated high-vis vest and you should be all set.
    As an optional extra you could swap the handbag for a tool belt with
    pockets suitable for mobile phone, lip-gloss and the compulsory 20 Major
    and matches. If the weather changes for the better and the sun manages
    to break cover you can always ditch the off-white Tee and just wear
    the high-vis vest on it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once you have the safety boots, high viz and helmet then whatever you are comfortable in. Don't forget to layer clothing and have waterproof gear. It's not a fashion show on a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There will be lots of blokes on the site, and you'll be the minority. You don't want to attract unwanted attention with a thong now. You there to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

hmmm, safety boots in a size 5 are not that easy to find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Make sure and get boots with steel toe caps.
    TK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Speaking from experience on site you should really get a really comfortable pair of safety boots. I've got a pair of these or similar and with thick wooly socks you won't end up with blisters on your feet (which I learned the hard way)

http://www.davronline.co.uk/product/jcb-the-track-pro-safety-rigger-boots-brown

You might be given a high vis on site but if not, get a full jacket one that's relatively warm so you can have it for the weather. Have a normal high vis in the car so you have it if we ever get sunshine (hahaha).

A cheap pair of jeans and a cheap hoody+tshirts from penny's will do the job. No point wearing expensive clothes because they WILL get destroyed.
    As disgusting as you may think it is, the jeans should do you a full week and a wash at the weekend (unless you've been pouring concrete or been doing something messy) and you should have 2 sets of hoodys for the entire week.

This is coming from a guy of course so if you want to fit in do that, otherwise wear a pink mini skirt and stilettos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

have been working on site for the last 2 summers as an engineer myself.
    My observations: pair of jeans that are not too tight and have a lot of pockets, especially the sewed on the knees ones are very handy for keeping survey book, a pencil, couple of hilti nails and drawings. a t-shirt with proper sleeves. steel - toe safety boots are a LEGAL requirement. personally i like rigger boots as opposed to ordinary boots.a pair of wellies will do ya a world of good if you doing any kind of setting out during the earth works.

Also, it's an emploeyrs legal responsibility to provide you with all safety gear - eg safety boots, high viz, hard hat, on my site - gloves and protective glasses and wet gear.

It's a great job, enjoy the craic!!!

Advertisement