Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insuring a CBR600(restricted)?

• 16-07-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a new bike (since mine is nicely coming towards the end of its days), which will last a couple of years.

I'd love to get a CBR600, but the only problem is insurance.
    I'm 19, and on a provisional, with 1yr NCB.

Obviously, I'll have to restrict the bike, since the jump from an xv125 to a cbr600 would probably leave me dead :)

What I need to know is how low I'll have to go before anyone would even consider insuring me. As far as I know (from speaking with a representative), Quinn will insure you on a non-factory restricted bike, as long as you have a cert from the mechanic who fitted the restrictor. Any truth in this?

From what I've been told, I need only restrict the cbr600 to a 250 before its in an insurable zone. Can anyone confirm this?

Much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Licenses explained here, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/provisional_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland

The limitation is power or power to weight ratio. Bike can't have more then 25kW rating or be more then 0.16kW/kg. The cc value of your engine will not be effected when restricting the bike.

So if you have a heavy bike you can be more then 25kW so long as you don't exceed 0.16kW/kg. Or if you are super light sports type you just can't break the 25kW barrier.

And yes you can get a CBR 600 restricted to comply with this and should get a cert from the engineer who fits it once it's on. Ring around the insurance companies for quotes before you do any of this though. 19 with a CBR 600 won't be cheap.

edit: I'm open to correction on what is after all my understanding of the rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Dorsanty wrote:
    19 with a CBR 600 won't be cheap.

I wouldnt have even considered a cbr600 until I spoke with Quinn about renewing my insurance.

Aon did me for €2600 on the first year I was driving on a vx125 (valued at €1200). Called Quinn and with provisional A, AonBikecare(which Im suprised they recognised), and 1yr NCB, I got quoted at €634 TPO. Which is why Im now confident in going for a bike I actually want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I was in your boat a while back, ok Im a bit older that you and have just under 2 yrs ncb and a full licence but quinn wont touch you on that bike without 2yrs ncb( I personally will never deal with qn again as they have screwed me around with paying out and honouring quotes). Go and do an Aon assesment, work up to a grade 2, it really isnt that hard and you wont be that bad, Im paying about 1200 for mine
    You never know, CN offered me a quote (be it stupid) on only 1 yrs ncb, so you can try them

Already running into problems.. 2 days ago, Quinn assured me they could insure me on a cbr600 in my circumstances as long as it was restricted..today, I've been told I need to be 25 with a full license before they'll let me touch it. So is this just a case of calling back again and again until I get someone who gives me the previous story?

Suppose I can give AON a shout later on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

At 19, I'd say you would be best going for a Factory Restricted bike rather than a shop restricted one.

Get the quote though, but I will guess now that it will be quite expensive if you get a quote at all.

If I were you I would consider a Factory Restricted Suzuki SV 650, in Black...

;)

• Advertisement

Just called AON, who said there's not a hope in hell of insuring any bike with a restrictor in place, unless its factory restricted.

Then called Quinn, which led into a 15 minute long conversation, eventually ending in them refusing to give me a quote - according to the agent I spoke to, 25, full license, 2yrs NCB before they'll give me any sort of quote on a cbr600. They then also told me that they dont accept non-factory restricted bikes on top of this

So it looks like Im completly screwed :(
    Dont suppose anyone has any suggestions? ( bar driving without insurance :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Only real option is factory restricted. You might have to give up on the dream of supersports bike until you're over 25.

Insurance companies know what they are doing. Chances are if you on full license and reach the age of 25 on bikes you ain't going to go nuts the second you sit on a sports bike.

I know someone with a provisional looking to get insured on a CBR 1000 RR. It's quite a funny story to listen to each week when I get updates on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Tellox wrote:
    Already running into problems.. 2 days ago, Quinn assured me they could insure me on a cbr600 in my circumstances as long as it was restricted..today, I've been told I need to be 25 with a full license before they'll let me touch it. So is this just a case of calling back again and again until I get someone who gives me the previous story?

Suppose I can give AON a shout later on..

this is scarley like what i went thru, if you got a reference number, they will honour it, get on to the IIF (irish insurance federation, google it, you'll get the details) took them 2 days to get back to me but they told me that quinn would have to quote me
    in Quinns own words, the person I was talking to 1st was "lieling to me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Hi, didn't want to start a new topic.

Would a 19 year old with a provisional get insured on this bike as stated a factory restricted bike?

Suzuki SV 650

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/787739

What kinda speed would you get on a restricted bike for the likes of young people on bikes? Just curious as I won't be speeding it around the place....

Much appreciated lads.

What kinda speed would you get on a restricted bike for the likes of young people on bikes? Just curious as I won't be speeding it around the place....

Much appreciated lads.

I got mine to 160kmph and it had a bit more

after 120 it takes a while because the restriction hits the SV after 7000 rpm.

0-120 is still very quick - sub 5 seconds easily.

A restricted V-Twin is much more "powerful" than a restricted 4. All hail the torque....

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ok, I am going to say this and I dont mean to be rude but....

LOL

really lads, at 19, you wont get insured on a CBR600, restricted or not. You would be better off looking a Vtwin 600 range. More chance of getting insured on them. But still douthfull. If you want a sports bike. Get a CBR250rr and if you want to jazz it up a little, you can then get a tyga fairing kit. But you really wont get insured on it.

As for the lad wanting the 1000, WTF like come on, your on a restricted license for a reason. Jumping on a 1000cc bike even if it is restricted is not a good idea at all. You need to build up to things.

sutty wrote:
    You would be better off looking a Vtwin 600 range. More chance of getting insured on them.

yeah, and they are faster.

erm, I mean, slow down kids. Quick is not cool.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CaloReg

I'm looking to buy a new bike haven't driven for about 15 years i'm 41 now, thinking of a Honda CBR500R only have a learner licence .Can i drive it and would insurance be costly and help would be great.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

CaloReg wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new bike haven't driven for about 15 years i'm 41 now, thinking of a Honda CBR500R only have a learner licence .Can i drive it and would insurance be costly and help would be great.
    Are people this lazy?

Look at the sticky.

It's only a 35kw bike. Insurance should be cheap at your age.

It doesn't have enough power or cc to use for the full A driving test.

Not worth buying a brand new bike to learn on. Better off with something older,with more power and displacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

A 19 yr old will only qualify for an A2 Learner permit. so anythng over 70kw restricted back to 35kw is not allowed.
    Even if you passed your bike test, you would have to wait 2 years to be upgraded to an A unrestricted Licence.
    so forget about any cbr600 because its over 70kw before restriction.
    I suggest a suzuki sv650 which is 54.7kw and get it restricted to 35 kw.

There are people thinking that it must be restricted back to 250 cc,,, FALSE
    its the kw output what matters,,not the cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

A 19 yr old will only qualify for an A2 Learner permit. so anythng over 70kw restricted back to 35kw is not allowed.
    Even if you passed your bike test, you would have to wait 2 years to be upgraded to an A unrestricted Licence.
    so forget about any cbr600 because its over 70kw before restriction.
    I suggest a suzuki sv650 which is 54.7kw and get it restricted to 35 kw.

There are people thinking that it must be restricted back to 250 cc,,, FALSE
    its the kw output what matters,,not the cc.

Should be able to get the cbr600 at this stage, the OP being ~27 :p

Wossack wrote: »
    Should be able to get the cbr600 at this stage, the OP being ~27 :p

Indeed, and to continue the zombieness, I wonder how Tellox got on with my old SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nozen

Hi guys.
    I was wondering what would the insurance be for a cbr600rr 2007+ ?

I have B license for 10 years and A license for about half a year (EU country).
    It would be the first insurance I would get in this country, both moto or auto.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

As people are saying above, get a restricted v650. I had one and didn't really notice the restriction unless driving at speed but for day to day is was grand.

I've never driven one but I imagine a restricted CBR would be rubbish to drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

this thread was started 9 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

As people are saying above, get a restricted v650. I had one and didn't really notice the restriction unless driving at speed but for day to day is was grand.

I've never driven one but I imagine a restricted CBR would be rubbish to drive!

I had a CBR 600F restricted as my first return to bikes in 2012 was great bike to drive.
    restriction was on top speed and was plenty quick for a learner.

Advertisement