Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Sword

Options
  • 17-07-2007 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Broken Sword i will always look back on with extremely fond memories, it was extremely well written, funny, and challenging!! george stobart was a great character and one i wanted to follow which always made me buy the sequels t see if he would get with nico!!

i look at it now and find that it reminds me an awful lot of an interactive version of The Da Vinci Code, a mixure of humour, history, puzzles and secret societys!!

another reason i love the game is that it opened the world of point and click adventures to me, such as the wonderful discworld and monkey island!!

i wonder has anyone played the very latest Broken Sword game that was out on the pc?? i bought it, and found the control so awful i never made it past the first puzzle with the electric cables... such a let down...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

LanceStorm wrote:
    Broken Sword i will always look back on with extremely fond memories, it was extremely well written, funny, and challenging!! george stobart was a great character and one i wanted to follow which always made me buy the sequels t see if he would get with nico!!
    I loved the first game too - I got it the same time I bought the first Tomb Raider and barely played TR until I had guided Nico and Stobbart to safety by cleverly combining everything in my inventory with everything on screen that I could interact with. ;)
    i wonder has anyone played the very latest Broken Sword game that was out on the pc?? i bought it, and found the control so awful i never made it past the first puzzle with the electric cables... such a let down...
    Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death? No, haven't played it. I couldn't bear to have my heart broken again... not after "The Sleeping Dragon". :(:D

P.s. .... Irish goat? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Soon as i read this thread , i started the process of actually downloading this for my psp. Thanks for the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The first two are some of my earliest memories of PC gaming. I got them both after I played the PS BS2 demo and thought the controls would be better suited to my newly acquired PC.

Both games had great stories and atmospheres and great puzzles too. Made me get into point and click adventures also, and I worked my way back to Revolutions other games, Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky... So if it wasn't for BS1 and 2, I wouldn't be called RobertFoster right now! :D

Broken Sword 3 and 4 were somewhat of let downs compared to the first 2. That said, I did enjoy them. In some ways I found BS4 an improvement on the third one, but there were some niggles. For example - Nicos voice (which has been different in all 4 games) was done by an English girl putting on a French accent! It's funny to listen to - it's like she practiced saying George and just winged the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Im playing 4 at the moment. Its not bad. If youve got nothing else to play itll be worth a look. Its on par with 3 really though. They lost the magic storywise anyway. But the gameplay is pretty good.

The original was such a classic. It was one of the first games i bought for the PC. No point and click has come close to it since then. I bought it again for the GBA and i never buy the same game for different systems!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The 4th one is much better than the third one. I loved those games too, but I preferred the LucasArts adventures. LucasArts were great before they restricted themselves to pumping out crappy star wars licence after crappy star wars licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

i bloody hated that goat from BS1 in ireland... i wasted days of my life trying to get passed him and then going everywhere else in the game thing id missed something... eventually had to cheat my way past it... i felt dirty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

1 and 2 were excellent, 3 was a bit of a letdown although it looked pretty good, I'm in two minds about getting 4, any thoughts ? If it's only as good as 3 I won't bother, the puzzles were far too easy. LanceStorm that goat nearly drove me to distraction, got the fugger in the end though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I liked 4 a lot. It's better than 3, although I still liked 3 too. No more annoying block pushing puzzles, although there's still some annoying stealth sections which really don't belong in this kind of game. It's worth it for the story and dialogue though I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

LanceStorm wrote:
    i bloody hated that goat from BS1 in ireland... i wasted days of my life trying to get passed him and then going everywhere else in the game thing id missed something... eventually had to cheat my way past it... i felt dirty...

Holy crap; I remember that damn goat! I loved Broken Sword 1 but never actually finished it. I bought BS2 and finished it with ease however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

That is definitely the most infamous goat in gaming history. It was so out of kilter with the rest of the gameplay, it was bizarre. So simple, and yet so hard. Drove me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only played 2. Got quite close to the end, but don't think I ever finished it.
    It is a great game, but point and click games always kind of annoy me with their minimum of one bizarre and illogical puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

One and two were alright but I never liked them as much as others did. I'd take many Lucasarts similar games over it any day. The third one I really didnt like but I liked the reformat to 3d.

Never mind the goat lads. It was all about the lucky piece of coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I got as far as that bloody goat, and gave up there.

Probably should start it again some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

after feeling terribly sentimental about it all i went out n bought 1 & 2 in a budget pack for a tenner, wuu huu!! bust through loads of 1 already, its mad how you remember all the puzzles n questions!!

lol @ the lucky coal!!

was a big fan of the 3 legged telescope yoke from the 2nd game he still managed to fit into his endless pockets!! legend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I actually remember my friend and I shouting abuse at that goat as we played the game! ...I think I only got as far as that too

Nobody tell him how to do it!!! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Fnz wrote:
    Nobody tell him how to do it!!! :p:D

And it was so simple in the end :D I thought the little oirish skanger kid just before that was hilarious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

There was a horrible, unforgivable bug with the GBA version of BS1 where if you did something out of order on the Ireland level you couldn't progress in the game and had to restart :(

Yeah and there was another one in Syria like that as well. I was aware of those problems when i bought it and id played the game before so i just looked up how to avoid them. Its a fantastic adaption to the little GBA though. Only thing is the story loses some of its charm without the voice acting.

I love when George arrives into the Irish bar and greets the barman "Top o the mornin to ya" and he gets jibes and dirty looks from the three lads:D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Jaysus, this brings back memories... Haven't even played the fourth game yet.

DS ports of the first two would be deadly.

I thought the little oirish skanger kid just before that was hilarious :p
    George: "Check out my card!"
    Oirish kid: "I've seen it already!"

*click*

*click*

ad infinitum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Cake Fiend wrote:
    DS ports of the first two would be deadly.
    Sign the petition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you've got a PSP you can play BS 1 and 2 on it already if you can downgrade the firmware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

the first 2 were the first games I ever completed,I loved using the shocker on the skanger kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The first broken Sword was my first ever point and click game on pc (I had Maniac Mansion on the nes), which eventually led me to all the other classics - MI series, the dig, S&M, grim fandango, day of the tenticle, zak mcracken, full throttle etc etc. I'm a total point and click anventure game freak :D

The second broken sword game was good too, I only finished it once though, nowhere near as good a 1. I recently got my hands on the third one a few months back and I have to admit I did enjoy it. Once you get used to the controls it's ok. Way too easy though, and it seems every second puzzle is a "Push crates in correct order" puzzle which was annoying. I'll eventually get the forth one, just so I'll have passed them all.

Advertisement