Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I switch on my network card?

Options
  • 17-07-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm trying to connect my modem to the net. My modem has one USB port and one ethernet port.

It connects, no problem at all, if I use the USB cable.

Though if I try to connect using the ethernet cable I cannot connect at all.

Someone was telling me that the network card in my PC may be set to "off", and I should re-enable it. Apparently there may be a "repair connection" somewhere for activating the network card.

Would anyone know how I would discover if the network card is switched off?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Right Click on "My Network Places" and pick properties.
    Look for the Icon called "Local Area Connection".
    Is it greyed out and does it say disabled or is there two blue little computer screens in the icon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Is a Pci nic? or a onboard nic?

If its a onboard nic check your device manager as it might not be installed.
    Right click my computer/ manage / device manager / network interface - if you see something with a red cross ( unknow device ) going through it thats more then likely your nic.
    Install the driver for the network card.

Or else it might have been disabled from the bios on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Right click my computer/ manage / device manager / network interface - if you see something with a red cross ( unknow device ) going through it thats more then likely your nic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

a lot of laptops have powersaving features on them which will turn off the network card unless you are charging the laptop or have a full battery....if its a laptop check this by plugging it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

axer wrote:
    Right Click on "My Network Places" and pick properties.
    Look for the Icon called "Local Area Connection".
    Is it greyed out and does it say disabled or is there two blue little computer screens in the icon?
    When I'm using the USB cable (which works) there are two little blue computers.

When I use ethernet (which doesn't work) there is nothing at all there, not even greyed out computers or anything saying disabled.

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote:
    a lot of laptops have powersaving features on them which will turn off the network card unless you are charging the laptop or have a full battery....if its a laptop check this by plugging it in
    Should have mentioned it's a desktop.

Mac daddy wrote:
    Sorry, I don't know. It's a Dell pc if that's any help.
    Mac daddy wrote:
    I went there but there's nothing there called Network Interface, though there is Network Adaptors with a subcategory of MT882.

In Other Devices there is a subcategory of "Ethernet Controller". When I click on this in the General Tab it states...
    "The driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I clicked on Reinstall Driver, but it was not able to locate the drivers.

I wonder if this is what might be wrong?
    Mac daddy wrote:

I'll have a look for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

zoe wrote:
    In Other Devices there is a subcategory of "Ethernet Controller". When I click on this in the General Tab it states...
    "The driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I clicked on Reinstall Driver, but it was not able to locate the drivers.

I wonder if this is what might be wrong?
    Yes that is what is wrong.

Ring dell is probably the best option as they will talk you through installing the drivers.

Thanks axer,

I've just recently wiped my hard drive and done a fresh install of Windows XP. So now I think about it I should also have installed the software on the Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD...:D

Maybe the relevant drivers for the ethernet connection are contained on it. D'oh!

Advertisement