Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic un-ban

Options
  • 17-07-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I did a search for this but found nothing, but I'm surprised it hasn't been asked before. If someone recieves a ban for a specified length of time, why is there no automatic un-ban? Why have to pm a mod to get it lifted?

Cron anyone?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

For site bans there's a facility to do this. For forum bans, there's actually no provision in vbulletin at all for moderators to ban from their own forums, they need to use a really dirty hack that I put together. A cron job could conceivably do it, but either we need to hack up the database to include this information or we need to give the mods access to cron jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Simple answer then. Site ban only. Problem solved, knuckles well and truly rapped. The fcukers won't get out of line the next time so quickly.

Maybe limit mod powers to shortish bans though, unless a longer or perm ban has been approved by the real bosses.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

esel wrote:
    Maybe limit mod powers to shortish bans though, unless a longer or perm ban has been approved by the real bosses.
    No fecking way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

esel wrote:
    You want the mods to have access to cron jobs then?

/edit, ah you want mods to be able to siteban, my mistake. Bad idea imo - ban someone from the whole site when they just deserve it on a forum is like swatting flies with a comedy Acme hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

So how does one get un-banned? I was banned from a forum about two months ago and have pm'd two separate moderators and haven't heard a whistle..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If you've heard absolutely nothing, then start a thread on it in the Help Desk forum.

As for the suggestion of giving hundreds of people the ability to site ban. I don't think that's a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

esel wrote:
    The fcukers won't get out of line the next time so quickly.

Don't you have better things to get upset about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, like me getting him banned from adverts for acting the tool.

I am against this. Sometimes I do not set a length of a ban and the users behaviour sets it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gordon wrote:
    You want the mods to have access to cron jobs then?

What's a cron job and why's it so bad for mods to have access to them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.html
    sysadmin commands.
    I just use it to forward my mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd have thought it would have been easy enough to run a SQL query via chron each night to unflag anyone who has been banned for a certain length of time. Surely when there is a mechanism to thread ban it wouldn't be too much hassle to enter and store a ban length.

Mind you given that boards can't do an online DB backup, I'd imagine the mods are using punch cards to set bans.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ecksor wrote:
    For site bans there's a facility to do this. For forum bans, there's actually no provision in vbulletin at all for moderators to ban from their own forums, they need to use a really dirty hack that I put together. A cron job could conceivably do it, but either we need to hack up the database to include this information or we need to give the mods access to cron jobs.
    Someone asked me about this earlier today.
    I hadn't seen this thread.
    That's a handy bit of information to know if it comes up again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doesnt vBulletin have big resource sites like Invision Power Board does? Surley there is a mod out there to do this..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'd have thought it would have been easy enough to run a SQL query via chron each night

It is.
    to unflag anyone who has been banned for a certain length of time. Surely when there is a mechanism to thread ban it wouldn't be too much hassle to enter and store a ban length.

I don't know why you're basically repeating my vague description in your own vague words unless you just like saying 'cron' a lot.

This suggestion, along with other possible mod ban features, has been made before. I dislike making these kinds of hacks mostly due to change management problems and in this case it is unclear if the mods want it anyway.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Personally, I don't. If someone has done something to warrant a ban, I don't think it's unfair to put the onus on them to remind me when it's up.

I really like saying cron.

Advertisement