Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner for 6

• 17-07-2007 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Im cooking dinner for six on saturday night.
    The main will be lasagne, home made garlic bread and a herby salad, dessert will be home made tiramsiu.

I need some ideas for easy starters, i was thinking either roasted peppers with goats cheese or bruchetta but i think they are both too similar to the main course i.e. tomatoes and cheese.

Also some recipes for a good fresh herb salad would be greatly appreciated!
    i was thining a mix of rockett, watercress, flat leaf parsley, basil and possibly fennel.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How about a selection of cured meats & rosemary or sesame bread sticks from a good deli for your antipasti?

Just arrange it nicely on a plate & let your guests pick away. You won't want to fill them up too much before the main course.

Both of the above need no time in the kitchen, thus freeing you up to spend more time with your guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Why not make chicken skewers for starters..
    If it's dinner for 6 then you could do 2 skewers each or something.
    Its really simple.

Not sure of exact amounts but you can guess as you go along.
    What you need is :

Marinade:
    Approx 4/5 chicken fillets sliced into thickish strips after bashing a bit with a mallet.(You should get about 3 strips from 1 fillet)
    A small few chilli flakes / or a mild chilli chopped finely
    Fresh corriander
    Sesame Oil
    Soy sauce
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    Salt and Pepper

Peanut sauce:Approx
    6 tbsp peanut butter
    3 tbsp sesame oil
    1 1/12 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp milk (or enough to make it the consistency you would like)
    1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
    ½ lime, juice
    Pop all of these in a blender until smooth.

Skewer the chicken and let it marinade for as long as possibe in the marinade, overnight if it's possible.

Put the chicken on a frying pan with the marinade poured over until chicken is cooked, then serve with a side dish of the peanut sauce. Yum!

Advertisement