Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little Advice Please...

Options
  • 17-07-2007 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hiya,

Went looking at cars for the first time at the weekend. I'm learning to drive at the moment, and really need to get off my arse and get I can actually drive (driving my mam's Ford Galaxy when learning to drive is not so fun!)

So I had my heart set on a Peugeot 206, but had heard some bad things about them and gave up on that notion...until I went to my local garage and came across a 03 Peugeot, 32,000 miles, in perfect condition for €7000. I know the garage owner so he's definately genuine about the whole thing. My question is, are Peugeot's really that bad? I just love the look of them, but at the same time I want to be sensible about the whole thing and not end up with a really ****e car under it all!! All the mechanics I've been speaking to have said that they're ok...up to about 90, 000 miles. Also that they hold their value very well, so if I want to sell it in a few years I'll be set.

It's that, or a Volkswagen Polo, 00 50,000 miles, 1.4, highly spec-ed and €5,000

Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

I think that although Peugeot's aren't renowned for great electrics and build quality, the amount of issues you'd hear about would be in proportion to the amount of 206's sold. If you were going to go for the 206, I'd make sure it has a full service history and insist on (at least) a 6 month parts and labour warranty from the garage.

In terms of re-sale value, they do tend to hold their money quite well, but the 207 is out now so that may affect values somewhat.

I would go for a VW over a Peugeot any day, but don't get a 1.4 Polo. It's a much better car to drive than a 1.2 (faster, better motorway ability) but you will find it harder to sell a 1.4 Polo over one with a 1.0/1.2 litre engine.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement