Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC problems :(

Options
  • 17-07-2007 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My rig (6 months old) has suddenly stopped working :(

I have the following...

Mobo: Intel Extreme D975XBX2KR Bad Axe 2
    GPU: BFG GeForce 8800GTX
    Mem: CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-8000C4 1000Mhz
    PSU: Seasonic M12 Modular 600W

Anyway, all was working find last Thursday and then suddenly yesterday (had been off since) ... nothing. No beeps, no display. Just fans turning.

I tried a few times, as you do, and then the mobo sent me 3 beeps (one long, two short) which indicates GPU failure.
    I then removed the card altogether and .. nothing. No beeps. Just fans.

I removed the memory and I got the beeps to signal no mem. Put the mem back in with no GPU and ... no beeps.

Any ideas ? Is it the GPU ? I have no other PCI Express card to test out so and a bit stuck. What do people suggest ?

Help appreciated. Lost without me PC :(

Regards,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Pull out the power connectors on the motherboard. If its just static then this will clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Are you saying to unplug the psu to mobo connections and then reconnect ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well in situations like this what I would do is pull the parts from the case,

Put the motherboard on the desk and leave the CPU, RAM, GPU plugged in only now plug in the power connections to the PSU and power it on and see what happens (mouse,keyboard,monitor also plugged in).

If the system boots normally then, power it off and try again, once you know for sure it is powering on normally reinstall into the case and try again, if all goes well plug the remaining items that were disconnected like the HD or DVD etc into and it.

If it doesn't post outside the case then re-seat (take out & put back in) the CPU, RAM, GPU now clear the CMOS and try powering on.

If it still doesn't work after that then ask a friend or if you have access to another PC to borrow the PSU and plug it into your motherboard don't bother plugging in power to the GPU it doesn't need that to post just for games in Windows, if it still fails to power on after that then I'd probably say the motherboard has developed a fault so RMA that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Cheers. I will have a look tonight.

Advertisement