Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subsonic Ammo

Options
  • 17-07-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you can get .22 magnum in a subsonic of if not can .22LR be fired from a rifle chambered for .22 magnum?
    I would like to take advantage of using a silencer on rabbits but not much point threading the barrel and getting a silencer if I can only use high velocity ammo.

Any suggestions, besides getting a .22 LR rifle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

kildarejoe wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can get .22 magnum in a subsonic

Try this website.......

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14533

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

A SAK moderator on a .22 magnum I would guess would take
    most of the bang out if it, apart from still having the supersonic crack.
    I've no experiance with the .22 magnum but the .17HMR I got
    is basically a .22mag shell necked down. I have fired it
    with a SAK on the rifle and at has a dramatic effect with regards
    to reducing the sound.

One of the other lads here may be able to say if its enough to
    do the job that needs to be done with regards to not spooking the rabbits etc.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

kildarejoe wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can get .22 magnum in a subsonic of if not can .22LR be fired from a rifle chambered for .22 magnum?
    I would like to take advantage of using a silencer on rabbits but not much point threading the barrel and getting a silencer if I can only use high velocity ammo.

Any suggestions, besides getting a .22 LR rifle.

Kind of pointless a 22mag in subsonic.But to answer can a 22lr be used in a 22mag ..Yes,If you have adapters for it and dont mind single shot reloads.The 22mag Google rifle cartridge cal adapters.There is a crowd in Alaska that makes them and exports them to Ireland no bother .Some folks in the US have made one shot adapters by using fired 22mag brass and cutting off the base and using the tube over the 22lr round.The 22 lr round will proably rupture,but it will fire safley enough,as a 22mag is well able to handle the pressure of a 22lr round.I would advise shooting glasses,as the gas can leak back in some guns,and that is pretty sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

im just wondering, i bought a box of eley .22lr sub sonic bullets last week and went out to set the scope with the silencer at the weekend. the first thing i noticed was that when i fired the first shot at 50 yards the the scope was out about 12 inches lower than my target. i couldnt beleive that you lose so much velocity when using the silencer. does anyone know how much you actually do lose when you are using the silencer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

stevoman wrote:
    im i couldnt beleive that you lose so much velocity when using the silencer. does anyone know how much you actually do lose when you are using the silencer?

Dunno about loosing velocity or not but when I tried one on my rifle
    it changed my point impact to a few inches (6inches maybe) to the right.
    Adding a mod to yours may just be doing the same thing only its effecting
    it vertically instead.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You dont lose velocity with a silencer.Its job is to contain,cool and bleed off the explosive gases of the shot,which as they are already out in the open past the muzzle have now done their job of velocity making.In a simplified explanation.Your problem is more than likely POI with the silencer fitted.

Advertisement