Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliable, Reasonable Mechanic

Options
  • 17-07-2007 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

I've had a search through the forum but can't find any previous threads on where to find reliable and reasonable mechanics in Dublin.

I've recently moved to Dublin and am looking for a non-dealership mechanic to take a look at a problem with an original model Vectra.

I think it may be something to do with bearings in my rear left wheel as I had the car parked up for three days over the weekend and when moving it after that for the first time it 'stuck' a bit as I tried to reverse. Now when moving at slow speed I can hear a kind of dragging or something grating/rubbing from the general area of the rear left wheel. If not bad bearings in the wheel, is it possible it could be that my handbrake isn't disengaging completely? I've noticed that the handbrake handle has gotten a bit looser lately and it travels further up when I'm putting the handbrake on.

Anyways, I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend a good mechanic who could have a look for me. In particular somewhere in Donnybrook/Clonskeagh or Rathgar would be great as those are the areas handy for where I live and work.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It does sound like a brake shoe/handbrake problem. A self adjuster may have seized or perhaps the shoe friction material has come away from the backing plate (seen it happen) I don't know of any mechanics in your area but work on rear brakes should be straightforward for any mechanic so i'd say you don't need to be too fussy about who does the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

All of those Vectra "A" models suffer from the rear self adjusting drum brakes failing to adjust. What you seem to have is a build up of dusts etc in the drum and the whole mechanism gets sticky.

Any garage will remove clean and adjust the rear brakes in a bout an hour !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

pm sent.

Advertisement