Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Centre Edition

• 17-07-2007 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi there,

A couple of questions about the MCE,
    I'm getting a PC for someone that has a remote control and tv/in-out etc,

what i want to know is, that if i have a monitor at the PC, and a TV in another room, will they be able to use the menu system and watch tv etc, while someone at the actual PC can browse the eb etc,

and if so, how does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Theres more info needed here before you can get a sensible answer ,

How are you planning on getting the signal to the PC , and how is the signal fed to your TV ,
    Separate feeds will need to be run to each , also what type of TV signal do they have , is it cable like NTL chorus , or is it Satellite , if its satellite you need a separate feed from the Dish to both systems or you can only watch the same channel.

Also , what is the make of the tuner card in the PC , MCE only works with approved cards .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

No idea,

He's going to plug his TV into the tuner card i suppose and use that as the monitor, he's using a SKY box and dish,

The PC is pre-built so it's compatible with whatever his tunercard is,
    how can i connect both his TV and Monitor to the machine and get 2 seperate images?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , I dont know what type of card is in the pc , analog or Digital tuner , so I will point out the usual way of using sky ,

Sky is encrypted , so the only way to get a signal into the PC is from the RF feed on the back of the box , you connect this to the tuner card , with the remote there should be IR blasters , these are little black wires with IR transmitters on the end , one of these should fixed to the sky box's remote reciever , MCE can then change channels to record.

With a single standard sky box , there is no way to watch a different channel than you are recording , with a sky plus box there is , ( but then I guess why would you need the PC to do it ? )

If the person getting the pc has a spare standard sky box , then this can be set up near the pc , have the pc record of one box , and the other connected to the TV , that way you can record off one box and watch the other. There needs to be a second feed from the dish , one for each box.
    You cannot split satellite cables like you can analog.

Advertisement