Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ahoy Database Wizards!

• 17-07-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've been thrown in at the deep end here and I'd like some advice.

I've got set up a (pretty) extensive contact database. I know how to set up tables, enter data etc.

But I want to do something specific but I don't know if Access can do it or how to do it.

Basically, I want the front form of the database to contact title (select from a drop down list), name, surname etc. All fine.

But for 'sector' I want to set up a drop down list which then set's up/populates the following fields.

So, for example, I select 'gov dept' from sector. I want the next field (institution/organisation) to populate a list taken from a table I've composed with gov depts. When the person selects a department, i want the next field (address 1) to populate with the list of offices for that dept (contained in another table).

Is that possible? I've tried MS owns office site but it isn't clear.

All help most appreciated.
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just use the OnChange option of the Select box to run another query that populates the second select box passing in the value that has been selected in the 1st select box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Not too sure about the interface in access, but I assume like most MS applications you can use VB in them.

The code below is from a front end that "talks" to a MS database, hopefully it'll be useful. Basically what you need to do is update the combo box 2 depending on what you choose in combo box 1.

maybe use the "lostfocus" method so when you move off the first combo, it triggers the code to fill the 2nd. They might be a cleaner way to start the code running though. EDIT: actually onChange sounds good as suggested above.
    Dim sTemp As String
    Dim rs01 as Recordset
    Dim db01 as Database
    Dim strSql01 as String

Set db01 = OpenDatabase("C:\mydatabase.mdb")

sTemp = Combo1.Text

'construct string for query
    strSql01 = "SELECT * FROM Adresses_Table WHERE Dept_field = '" & stemp & "'"

' get Record set from database db01 using the query you've constructed
    Set rs01 = db01.OpenRecordset(strSql01)

'fill combo 2 with the results of the query
    With rs01
        Do While Not .EOF
             combo2.AddItem rs01!field_name_in_datebase
            .MoveNext
        Loop
        .Close
    End With

hope that helps.

Access has forms and allows form driven design as well as coding. For this its case of using the forms .

Coding it will take a bit longer for a standard piece of functionality.

Also if you use the OnChange event this will fire when the value in the dropdown changes. Using the lostfocus means that once you tab out it will attempt to load the new values in dropdown 2 regardless if the value in dropdown 1 has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

First of all - thanks a million for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I know no visual basic so I'm sunk if I need that kind of knowledge.
    Ginger wrote:
    Just use the OnChange option of the Select box to run another query that populates the second select box passing in the value that has been selected in the 1st select box

Ginger, I'm sorry dude, but I'm gonna have to ask you to explain that more.

name / sector / institution

I've got my field in the form eg. sector. I can set a combo box to look up the various sectors from a table called 'sector' and get the selection to populate the box once clicked.

To get a specific option from that list, eg. 3rd level, to populate the next field 'institution' with a list from a table called 'third level' is what I need to figure out how to do. So if I select 3rd level it'll look up the 3rd level table. If I select 'gov' it'll look up the government table.

I'm going to do a bloody advanced Access course. But that isn't going to help me here.

Thanks guys!

This should explain it all

Worked example

http://www.blueclaw-db.com/download/dependent_combo_box.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement