Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my 7 month old getting enough calcium?

Options
  • 17-07-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Our 7 month old baby is big for his age (11kg and 71cm). Our doctor suggested to my wife last week that we reduce his three daily formula feeds (142ml/ 5oz per feed) to two. We are concerned that this may not give him enough calcium in his diet. Should a 7 month old be getting most of his nutrients from bottles or solids? Does anyone know the calcium RDA for a 7 month old? One website I found mentioned 600mg of calcium per day for a 7 month old. This seems a lot. Another website said that a 7 month old should get 20oz (568ml) of formula per day. Should we increase his bottle feeds and reduce his solids feeds or vice versa?

Seamus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not ask your local baby/health nurse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Well I'm not a mum, so I don't really know, but my nephew was also a guzzler!!!
    Couldn't keep the bottles coming to him, always hungry.
    Because of this, he was also heavier than he should be, so his bottles were reduced & spoon feed was added.
    This helped sort him out.
    I'm sure those spoonfeeds are fortified with calcium & other vits / mins to make up for less bottles
    But, ask an expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Seamus357 wrote:
    Our 7 month old baby is big for his age (11kg and 71cm). Our doctor suggested to my wife last week that we reduce his three daily formula feeds (142ml/ 5oz per feed) to two. We are concerned that this may not give him enough calcium in his diet. Should a 7 month old be getting most of his nutrients from bottles or solids? Does anyone know the calcium RDA for a 7 month old? One website I found mentioned 600mg of calcium per day for a 7 month old. This seems a lot. Another website said that a 7 month old should get 20oz (568ml) of formula per day. Should we increase his bottle feeds and reduce his solids feeds or vice versa?

Seamus

Formula feeds are quiet heavy and contain a lot of calories, maybe this is why the doctor suggested the reduction, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't replace the previous bottle with cow's milk, not as high in calcium but still contains a fair bit all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

If it were my baby i would be inclined to keep formula as you are doing I know both mine were on at least 18oz util a year old. It sounds very little to me (3x2oz) nutritioally. Chances are his/ her eating habits will change soon I wouldnt worry about it too much even if a little overweight will probably drop off when becomes toddler with toddler eating habits!

Not sure if this helps is my opinion only.

Advertisement