Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo 2 not compatible with LCD monitor?

• 17-07-2007 12:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Was posting yesterday about acquiring a 360 and VGA cable - got both!

Managed to finally set everything up last night, including playing GOW and a couple of other games on the 19" monitor.

When I tried to run Halo2 I got a message saying the game isn't compatible with a PAL monitor or something like that. It's a PAL version, and the monitor is cool with the new stuff - so are old Xbox games not compatible with monitors at all?

I hooked up the TV instead but didn't have time to complete the downloads. Is there an update to follow that will solve the problem - or am I confined to my tiny TV for Halo till Sept 26th?!

Cheers for any thoughts. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Not sure how helpful this is, but I had dthe same problem with Hitman: Blood Money. It wouldn`t play on the 19" screen through VGA in my room so I had to set up the 360 on our downstairs tv through component to play it which sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Halo does work with the Vga cable. But for some strange reason you have to download the maps with one of the other cables. Just download the maps and switch back to vga.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

woooo232, I'm hoping I don't have to do that!
    JM MARCONI wrote:
    Halo does work with the Vga cable. But for some strange reason you have to download the maps with one of the other cables. Just download the maps and switch back to vga.
    This sounds more like it. Will download the rest of the map packs tonight and then hook up the VGA again and see what happens.
    Fingers crossed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I get the same message when trying to play Forza 1... fairly annoying, as any other PAL game that I play works perfectly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Its becasue you need top download the updates to the 360 first and for some obscure reason they added a check to see what monitor you had plugged in to the code that kicks off the downloads. :confused:

You'll be fine though once you have the updates downloaded with a regular TV plugged in, at least until they release the next BC update when you'll need to do it all again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not sure if this is related to a problem I had but I'll throw it out anyway. Can't remember the game, but it wouldn't play and after a bit of searching I found this solution. Plug in the component cable in to the xbox, flick the switch on the cable to TV(?), not HDTV. Then go into the 360's settings tab and select the dislpay settings. Change it to 60Hz and try again with the VGA cable. This worked for my problem but like I said it may have nothing to do with yours!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just a quick note to say - nice one!

Downloaded all the Halo2 map packs last night and no more probs using my monitor.

Cheers for any and all advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i have halo 2, unpatched, works fine on my hdtv, but...why is there no sodding grenade button?? Do i have to patch it to be able to throw a grenade??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

0ubliette wrote:
    i have halo 2, unpatched, works fine on my hdtv, but...why is there no sodding grenade button?? Do i have to patch it to be able to throw a grenade??
    It's one of the bumper buttons, just can't remember which one right now.:o

OK I seem to have a similar problem again. In a fit of boredom last week I bought one of the original xbox versions of a harry potter game to be played on the 360. But it says that it won`t work on my vga monitor. So I hooked up the console to the monitor through scart (its a tv/ monitor combo) like some people suggested and it worked fine and it downloaded the xbox live update and I started the game fine. But when I try and play it through vga on the monitor it says that

"the VGA HD-AV cable does not support the PAL-50 setting required for this game"

Anybody any ideas how to get around this?

• Advertisement

woooo232 wrote:
    OK I seem to have a similar problem again. In a fit of boredom last week I bought one of the original xbox versions of a harry potter game to be played on the 360. But it says that it won`t work on my vga monitor. So I hooked up the console to the monitor through scart (its a tv/ monitor combo) like some people suggested and it worked fine and it downloaded the xbox live update and I started the game fine. But when I try and play it through vga on the monitor it says that

"the VGA HD-AV cable does not support the PAL-50 setting required for this game"

Anybody any ideas how to get around this?

Follow my instructions above and it will solve that problem.

jester77 wrote:
    Follow my instructions above and it will solve that problem.

Sorry forgot to say in original post that I tried this too and it didn't work. I hooked up the 360 through scart (would component make a difference?) and changed the settings to 60hz and tried it again but it still says the vga hd-av cable does not support 50 hz:confused:

Thanks for the input though!

woooo232 wrote:
    Sorry forgot to say in original post that I tried this too and it didn't work. I hooked up the 360 through scart (would component make a difference?) and changed the settings to 60hz and tried it again but it still says the vga hd-av cable does not support 50 hz:confused:

Thanks for the input though!

Strange. The xbox by default is set to 50Hz so it needs to be changed to 60Hz to play certain games. I would imagine that if you set it using scart that it is saved now as 60Hz on the xbox, so it shouldn't be any different to using a component cable. Maybe just double check under the settings tab using the scart cable as it's strange that it's still complaining about the 50Hz.

Yeah I checked again on scart and the settings on the 360 are still set to 60hz

I did a bit of research and it seems that that vga cable does not support 50hz at all and only original xbox games that are compatible with 6ohz run on the vga cable:

"PAL games that do not support PAL-60 cannot be played using the VGA HD Cable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

so it looks like I`m screwed. What is really annoying though is that I had a choice to buy Prisoner of Axkban or Chamber of Secrets and I chose axkaban because it was newer and I figured it would be more likely to be compatible. But even though chamber of secrets was older and half the price it seems that it is compatible with 60hz... look where thinking gets ya!:o

Yeah I checked again on scart and the settings on the 360 are still set to 60hz

I did a bit of research and it seems that that vga cable does not support 50hz at all and only original xbox games that are compatible with 6ohz run on the vga cable:

"PAL games that do not support PAL-60 cannot be played using the VGA HD Cable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

so it looks like I`m screwed. What is really annoying though is that I had a choice to buy Prisoner of Axkban or Chamber of Secrets and I chose axkaban because it was newer and I figured it would be more likely to be compatible. But even though chamber of secrets was older and half the price it seems that it is compatible with 60hz... look where thinking gets ya!:o

Advertisement