Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me spend €800ish on mainboard, cpu, ram & gfx

Options
  • 17-07-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

This pc is seriously beginning to creak, I reckon it's high time that I gave it a quick beef injection...
    I got a nice enough case recently (Antec Sonata), have a decent 19" lcd and oodles of storage (1.11TB), a sound card that I'm happy enough with and a dvdrw drive that just refuses to die (good old NEC3500A:))

So that only leaves the mainboard, CPU, ram and graphics card that need to be replaced.
    I've been out of touch with the upgrading world for a couple of years, then only thing that I have my heart set on at the moment is an Intel Core 2 duo 6600 cpu and 2GB of ram for Vista/general goodness...

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=483108&su=65095679-FFAA-4077-8A07-0B94009188DB
    Everything on that list apart from the cpu was a random pick... I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the other bits that I need.
    Maximum that I'm willing to spend is €850 including postage, and I would consider using somewhere other than Komplett if needs be

thanks in advance, can't wait to get her up and running:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi tman,
    the guys in the know will advise you better then me but...
    is the mobo not a bit overkill?
    do you need a quad mobo?
    i think you could maybe get a cheaper one.
    what about ur power supply?
    will it be able to handle the new rig?
    the ram,gfx and cpu are all good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, guess it is fairly OTT (like I said, they were just random picks)
    Any decent mobo will do really, I can't see myself making use of SLI, so I'd say a fair bit can be chopped off the price there.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332090 - that's the next best price I can see for an 8800GT that's actually in stock

My PSU is a 450w one, so it should be fine by my reckoning. (and afaik it should have the neccesary connections)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

here form http://www.hardwareversand.de you can get these for around 770inc shipping.

Article Availability Price per unit Quantity Price
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Box 4096Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Conroe 202,00 €

ABIT IP35, Sockel 775 Intel P35, ATX 121,68 €

Club3D 8800GTS, 640MB, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS, PCI-Express 322,49 €

2048MB-Kit Mushkin HP2-6400, CL4 98,46 €

Sum: 744,63 € 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Just get a P35 mobo, a 8800GTS, E6600 and 2GB of CL4 ram.

;)

Cool, that's my mind made up then.:p
    I definitely favour Abit mobos anyway, so the IP35 looks like the one for me.

Is there all that much use in getting a 640MB graphics card? from experience the model with twice the memory but only a fraction of the cost more usually uses slower memory which doesn't even get fully utilised...

• Advertisement

Timans wrote:
    Just get a P35 mobo, a 8800GTS, E6600 and 2GB of CL4 ram.

;)

thats what i reccomended.

I've just placed the order now in the hopes that I get it in time for the weekend... thanks a million for your input guys.

what did you buy ?

I made a bit of a whoopsie with the order and had to cancel it... Won't be able to order it again until the auth is lifted from my credit card:(
    I'm going for more or less the same items as you mentioned, but will most likely stick with a 320MB version of the 8800GTS

I was going to stick with Komplett, but after having a closer look at hardwareversand.de I might go with them instead.
    Can't say that I've ever heard of them before now though, and the design of the site doesn't exactly give off a professional image...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Loads of guys on here use that german website and trust awhir he gives you great deals... isn't that right awhir lol :)

I need an XFX 8800GTX btw... lol That 320mb GTS will do you for a 19"

Yea I should really use ebay more.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Wait until the 23rd and get the E6750 for 178.70e. More MHz, less euros.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6V4Nlsi6_nZ3Ta/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=10620&agid=398

Holy crap that's a sweet price!:eek:
    I'll definitely be ordering one of those instead, would've been kicking myself right now if I'd let my komplett order ship!

/edit
    what's the difference between tray and box on that site?
    I would be awfully pissed off if all of my stuff arrived and it was sans cpu cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

The tray version comes without cooler, and the box is the retail version with a cooler. Remember intel are introducing new processors onto the market on the 22nd July along with some nice price cuts. E.g a boxed E6850 with a 3GHz clock for 250e on hardwareversand. The Q6600 quad core is supposed to sell at about $266 around the 22nd.

My final order was just shy of €700, hopefully the rest of my shopping experience with hardwareversand is as positive as their pricing!

I take it I can just pay the credit transfer from a bank, but would it be possible from my local post office instead? (would just be a little bit handier...)

Thanks a million for your advice so far folks, it was greatly appreciated

Advertisement