Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to buy a domain name on its own first and but hosting for it later?

Options
  • 17-07-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,

I plan on setting up a website but I won't need it up and running for a few months but I will need the domain and email services so I plan on buying a .com domain on its own first and then buying hosting for it later on.

Is it possible to use the domain i would already have with new hosting and if so, how?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to use email you will need to get hosting of some kind.

If you just want to get the domain for later use ie. no email or anything immediately there's no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Host.ie

You can buy a domain name .com as you said and take out a hosting package that would include email. Then just use the domain name and email for the time being, and when you are ready to put up a website then you have the facilty already there to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

from godaddy.com you can buy a .com for $9.95 and get email forwarding set up straight away.

if you use the code 'digg' you get a 10% discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

However, that is just email forwarding - not actual email accounts where you can send emails from your domain.

Most web hosts offer a low cost email-only hosting solution, then you can upgrade to full hosting at a later date. I'd go with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i use Servage for my hosting, i get 360gb webspace and 3600gb monthly transfer for 27euro every 3 months, you also get a free domain when you sign up and free email for your domain accounts. cant reccomend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Securing your domain as soon as possible is always the most sensible thing to do - you can add hosting at any stage, and pretty much all the domain registries will provide web and/or email forwarding included in the price of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Thanks for the replies,

one last question:

I don't like using credit cards on the internet and so normally use 3v cards, is it possible to buy the domain with a 3v card and then buy the hosting with another at a later date even if they both have different credit card numbers on them?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Absolutely, 3v works pretty much like a standard credit card either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

so shouldn't be a problem with using the two seperate ones then?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Nope, no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement