Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobble Lock Look Concrete

Options
  • 17-07-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed a house recently that had what looked like cobble lock but turned out to be a moulding shaped into the concrete and then sealed with selant.
    Anyone know of a company that does this and is it cheaper than cobble lock ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Rob,
    Recently got this work done and it is a great job. got it done cause the dog was ruining the house with mud.

The company was TEXTCRETE out in Ballyboughal. 0872260899

Ask for a good johnny cash price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Thanks GIT,

Thats great thanks.
    Any idea how it compares price wise to actual cobble lock ?
    Rob

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Do a google.ie search for 'imprinted concrete' and you should get a few hits. I have it and it looks ok, although not as good as proper cobblelock.

Advantages would be cost over cobblelock and the fact that weeds won't grow between the grooves. Disadvantages would be the look over cobblelock and that they do require resealing every few years.

RobAMerc wrote:
    Thanks GIT,

Thats great thanks.
    Any idea how it compares price wise to actual cobble lock ?
    Rob

I had about 45 sq m and a lot of earth to be removed. They came and priced @ about € 3,500.00 and I got him down to € 2,500.00 cash. great job. I have to disagree with the last post. cobblocking can sink and needs to be power washed on a regular basis to kill moss and weeds. the printing looks realistic and the dog can do what he wants on it and not wreck the house. a few different colours and prints to choose from. For plain concrete off a guy in the area he wanted circa €5,000.00 which was a load of crap.

I cant recommend this guy enough and he showed loads of places to view it in situ.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have to disagree with the last post. cobblocking can sink and needs to be power washed on a regular basis to kill moss and weeds. the printing looks realistic and the dog can do what he wants on it and not wreck the house.
    Eh, i had mentioned the weeds etc. as one of the 'advantages' over cobblelock. And in relation to how it looks, certainly it does look great once done, but give it a few years to see how the elements effect it. Oh, when the time comes to get a little maintenance done on it, don't use a powerwasher as it will take the top layer off and leave you in a worse state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

cobblocking can sink

Just to be fair. So can any type of paving if it is not done correctly including Patterned Imprinted Concrete.

Do a bit of research RobAMerc, on how it should be done properly as there are a lot of cowboy operators out there.

Try www.pavingexpert.com/pic01.htm for some good advice on what to expect from PIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

^ this is a super website!

10-10-20 wrote:
    ^ this is a super website!

I agree super site. I have the ashler one it looks superb. They guy who was doing it tells me that a USA crowd have patent on the mats that are used worldwide. Thats why there are only so many effects.
    Didnt mean to cut across your post delly but I had it in my old house for eight years and got it re sealed every two and it still looks great. So roll on next summer and I will be getting it done religiously from there on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

delly wrote:
    Do a google.ie search for 'imprinted concrete' and you should get a few hits. I have it and it looks ok, although not as good as proper cobblelock.

Advantages would be cost over cobblelock and the fact that weeds won't grow between the grooves. Disadvantages would be the look over cobblelock and that they do require resealing every few years.

Apart from thta very awful glossy synthetic look, 'imprinted driveways' wear poorly. I've seen many with cracks and incredible uneveness. Regular sealing is essential.

Why are they mostly that terrible charcoal grey colour?

I'll never understand why people with nice houses would put such a fake finish in front.

Advertisement