Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this common?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

pid() wrote:
    Hi guys/gals,
    I recently graduated with a BSc Honours degree in Software Development with Applied Mathematics with a 2.1 grade, so recently I have been applying for software related roles. The most recent one I am applying for is a graduate position, and it's just some c# gig that doesn't require any commercial experience but does require a degree.

What I find extremely strange is this: I was asked what I got in Maths for my leaving cert. I told them I got an A in ordinary level maths, and they refused my application for the job based on this, even though I studied applied maths in college - and they knew this. I got a B+ in applied maths, and an A in the regular maths module that I took. They wanted higher level maths for the leaving cert.

I was certain that my leaving cert did not matter anymore, now that I have a degree. Should I expect this sort of thing in the future? :(

I ask this in the Programming forum, and not postgrads for instance because I hope a lot of people who view this forum are either in college or have degrees so hopefully it will prove beneficial. I'll understand if the moderator wishes to move this elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Dave.

This is the problem with HR or recruitment people that don't have technical degrees or experience, they still measure mathematical intelligence by a level they last experienced, i.e. their leaving cert. Leaving cert maths is a balls anyway, university maths is more applied and specific to the field your in. In your case your leaving cert results are irrelevant for the position you were applying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CelloPoint

Kattyboy25 wrote:
    This is the problem with HR or recruitment people that don't have technical degrees or experience, they still measure mathematical intelligence by a level they last experienced, i.e. their leaving cert. Leaving cert maths is a balls anyway, university maths is more applied and specific to the field your in. In your case your leaving cert results are irrelevant for the position you were applying for.

In fairness to HR, why should they take that risk? It costs a heck of a lot more money that 30k salary to recruit, train and facilitate a new employee. Someone with a solid and consistent background with good interpersonal skills is what they're looking for. There are plently of graduates (both Irish and foreign) who will work for less than €30k per annum on the graduate techie gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

malice_ wrote:
    That's daft! Were you paid for the two weeks? Did you ever raise the issue with management or anything? I bet the results were tossed into a filing cabinet and never thought of again :)

I'm sure they were.

I couldn't really raise the issue - I was free to walk away and take another job if I wanted to.

Heard a rumour after that they'd been stung a few years before by someone claiming to have a load of qualifications which were a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

MOH wrote:
    I couldn't really raise the issue - I was free to walk away and take another job if I wanted to.
    That's true but I wouldn't like to have two weeks without wages through no fault of my own.
    MOH wrote:
    Heard a rumour after that they'd been stung a few years before by someone claiming to have a load of qualifications which were a sham.
    That explains their thoroughness to a certain extent but still, sham qualifications are a bit different to Leaving Cert results aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Absolutely ridiculous tbh. I didn't even include my LC grades on my CV with my last application (my 2nd job out of college). Leaving cert = basically irrelevant IMO. Nobody gets a 2.1 comp sci degree in any university that I'm aware of without slog / brains. Both of which are worth hiring for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

malice_ wrote:
    That's true but I wouldn't like to have two weeks without wages through no fault of my own.

That explains their thoroughness to a certain extent but still, sham qualifications are a bit different to Leaving Cert results aren't they?

Yeah, but I think they'd lied about their L Cert or something.

Don't see either why it's relevant in the first place, but hey, who understands HR departments?

Advertisement