Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucophage treatment - free?

• 17-07-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are certain drugs for long term illnesses that you get for free, such as insulin for diabetics. Does anyone know if Glucophage for PCOS is covered by the same scheme?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its definitively covered under the 85 Euro a month scheme at present. I think the intention is to have it included in the long term illness scheme eventually (there are problems getting quite a few newer drugs on the long term illness and 85 Euro a month schemes though- the HSE blame pharmacists and government policy, who knows......)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Anney

Glucophage is not covered on the long term illness scheme if used for PCOS. The long term illness scheme provides free medications to people with particular illnesses. Therefor it's the illness not the medication that it ticked in on the form. PCOS is not covered. Common illnesses covered are Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, epilepsy, MS & lots others which are less common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Just wondering... how does this work.. I mean a prescription is a prescritpion.. the pharacist does not have to know what you are being prescribed the drug for so how do they know in a case like metformin whether the script is for diabtes, which is covered or PCOS which is not???

440Hz wrote:
    Just wondering... how does this work.. I mean a prescription is a prescritpion.. the pharacist does not have to know what you are being prescribed the drug for so how do they know in a case like metformin whether the script is for diabtes, which is covered or PCOS which is not???
    For it to be free the prescription would be written in your long term illness booklet (which would be shown to the pharmacist (though many of them don't bother asking)).

S.

Oh ok, thanks for that, was just curious.

Surely PCOS is a long term illness though? What factors determine what would be entered into a 'long term illness' booklet. Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, I didnt even know there was such a thing.

• Advertisement

440Hz wrote:
    Oh ok, thanks for that, was just curious.

Surely PCOS is a long term illness though? What factors determine what would be entered into a 'long term illness' booklet. Sorry if that seems like a stupid question, I didnt even know there was such a thing.

Though I hate to say it- the accurate answer to this is politics and lobbying. Some things are covered for some illnesses and not for others- there is no rule of thumb. Insulin does tend to be covered regardless- but people who may be on longterm Imuran (following transplants/Crohn's or other measures), Budenofalk or any of a long list of other prescriptions are expected to pony up their E85 a month for the rest of their lives.

The longterm illness scheme is seen by the Department of Health and the HSE as a millstone that they must minimise to the best of their abilities. The hoops that you might be made jump through before being issued a booklet range from a simple consultants report- to a baffling array of prescribed tests. Likewise the E85 a month scheme has been cutback and a lot of medications formerly available on it have been removed. For example enteric coated steroids- designed to be released in your intestinal tract rather than your stomach, have been removed in favour of generic prednisolone- which many people are unable to take- and end up being prescribed other far more expensive steroids instead. Its a case of spending E200 in order to save E10........

At the end of the day- what is and what is not covered under the longterm illness scheme is determined by lobbying to the Minister and the HSE.........

Thanks for that smccarrick, appreciate the detailed answer. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Glucophage is so cheap on a private prescription, I can't ever see it getting put on the free prescriptions list. It's not even the "official" treatment for PCOS anyway, that would be a contraceptive pill like dianette.

My glucophage costs me about 5 euro a month (for 60 500mg tablets) if I go to Boots and about 7 euro in an independent chemist. It's not going to break the bank for anyone.

Yeah good point eth0_, was just more curious about how the whole thing worked really. Its certainly not the priciest of drugs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

smccarrick wrote:
    Though I hate to say it- the accurate answer to this is politics and lobbying. Some things are covered for some illnesses and not for others- there is no rule of thumb. Insulin does tend to be covered regardless- but people who may be on longterm Imuran (following transplants/Crohn's or other measures), Budenofalk or any of a long list of other prescriptions are expected to pony up their E85 a month for the rest of their lives.

The longterm illness scheme is seen by the Department of Health and the HSE as a millstone that they must minimise to the best of their abilities. The hoops that you might be made jump through before being issued a booklet range from a simple consultants report- to a baffling array of prescribed tests. Likewise the E85 a month scheme has been cutback and a lot of medications formerly available on it have been removed. For example enteric coated steroids- designed to be released in your intestinal tract rather than your stomach, have been removed in favour of generic prednisolone- which many people are unable to take- and end up being prescribed other far more expensive steroids instead. Its a case of spending E200 in order to save E10........

At the end of the day- what is and what is not covered under the longterm illness scheme is determined by lobbying to the Minister and the HSE.........

I find it uncomfortable tbh when I consider mental illnesses. On one hand I don't like having to pay 85euro a month, every month, for the past 5 years and probably the next 3 or 4 years (if I'm lucky). On the flipside, I appreciate the huge burden that making them free to everybody would cause (if you take a step back and consider the expense of the drugs combined with the huge number of people they are prescribed to..). At least with diabetes it's easy to diagnose (in comparison) and it's very likely (definite?) to be long term as soon as the diagnosis is made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement