Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Opinions

• 17-07-2007 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Dell are running an offer at the moment for a dimension C521 (it's the one on the bargain alerts board). Anyway I was just wondering about the graphics card that comes with it. It's a

256 MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 PCI Express

A review on cnet reckons its not suitable for gaming but is that really true? I'd be getting 2Gigs of RAM and an AMD dual core 4400+ CPU with the PC and using it for internet, office and games (FPS and RTS mainly). Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cnet is right that card is not suitable for gaming., if I were you I would go for an x1950pro for around €150-200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

C521 will not take anything other then half height cards, the absolute best of which is poor for modern gaming and has zero future proofing.

Just forget trying to use the C521 as a gaming machine, I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to repeat that on the actual bargin alerts thread....

The processor is fine but the card is the problem, and the case form.

If you're looking for a budget games machine you'll have to look elsewhere. Unless you like playing games at low resolutions and settings. Even with the 8400GS (best half height card) is ok for some current games but outdated and still considered low end hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol we have a C521 set up as an SQL 2005 server in work :D but yeah, they are crap for gaming. Consider it for a HTPC but that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Cheers lads. Might try Komplett then...

Advertisement