Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickbooks 2002 activation headaches

Options
  • 17-07-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi, my uncle recently got a new PC and asked me to move over all software etc for him (I work in IT). no problems i think and get to it. I re-install quickbooks on the new PC, however quickbooks 2002 needs activation, and of course since it has already been running on his old PC his serial number has already been activated. so I call Intuit (the crowd who make quickbooks) and explain my case to them - after a few phone calls where they tell me ridiculous things to try (I am well familiar with the activation process thanks to microsoft), they turn around and tell me that since they dont support it any more, my only option is to buy a new version!!!

Now, does anyone else find this ridiculous??? OK choose not to provide tech support if you wish, it has after all been 5 years, but i think it is a very obvious rip-off effort on their part to force you to buy a new version when they refuse to allow you to migrate software from one machine to another.

If ever i saw a case in favour of piracy it is this. Has anyone else come across this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it is a legacy product, they dont need to provide anything for it, MS stop supporting or selling Windows 98, why should they? Intuit are a business not a charity, at €370 they arent making a massive killing from you.

I know one company that told its customers that had brought a product after 18 months that it was a dead product and they had to upgrade to their new software, they initally paid in excess of €10k and were asked for another €20k that is a rip off....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

well i agree with you completely in principle, there comes a time when a company has to pull the plug on supporting a product - but my thinking was that ver 2002 is the same year XP was released, and Microsoft wont withdraw support on that for a good while yet, even though doing so would no doubt ensure plenty of Vista sales. So i guess the question is how long is too long to keep supporting a product. then again, what really annoyed me was the fact that i had no technical problem with the product really except problems generated by their anti-piracy measures.

however the story has a happy ending - i called back later (after my rant here) in order to get them to send me their answer in writing, and i ended up talking to a helpful girl who told me that there was in fact some other number which my uncle would've got on day 1 (and he had told me nothing about!). Once i knew this, i dug it up and managed to activate and get the program working.

so in conclusion, i guess half the problem was caused by an unhelpful individual i was talking to initially in Intuit, and half the problem was caused at my end in fairness...

Advertisement