Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped today

Options
  • 17-07-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all, i was on my way to work this morning at 5 o clock, and was smoking, once i finished it i decided i was sick of smoking, and i have not had one since. I usually smoke twenty a day! Any one any good advice, i think this evening when i go home and im bored watching tv that i might be tempted!!! What should i do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Best of luck. I'm off cigarettes three months now and I did find evenings the worst. Try and distract yourself as best you can, deep breathing, drinking cold water, go out for a walk. Whatever it takes to distract yourself for the first week or so until you get used to not smoking. I bought nail and hand cream, nail file and buffer and had them all beside me in the evenings and would file my nails, etc to distract myself! So, now I'm a non-smoker with nice nails!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ditto on the above post. I never believed that the strongest cravings passed after a minute or so, but they do. If you feel the urge, close your eyes, take long deep breaths, and focus on NOT needing a smoke. The urge will pass. I found the water helped too, and I always kept fruit beside me in work, as I found work was the worst craving time. (mandarins, for the record).

Best of luck with it, I'm off them nearly two years, and I'm delighted. I really hope you make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 goldielocks05

first of all well done... i'm of fags over 4 months now but i still get cravings an odd time but i found the nicorette mint gum was brill.. i used it 4 the first week then it was extra after that 4 about 2 weeks, now i can't stand the smell of smoke and the best thing is yr teeth get really white and you don't be paranoid when you talk to people after you smoke, yr hair smells like shampoo and yr clothes smell nice too... so good luck

Just in case yr reason wears off here's another reason... the reason i gave up
    When someone smokes (doesn't matter how long for) they can develop a cancerous gene that might cause you cancer but if you don't get it and u have children you automatically give the gene to them which causes them to get cancer our yr grandchildren and its all your fault for smoking!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

When someone smokes (doesn't matter how long for) they can develop a cancerous gene that might cause you cancer but if you don't get it and u have children you automatically give the gene to them which causes them to get cancer our yr grandchildren and its all your fault for smoking!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Have you got a reference or a link or anything for that? I'd be interested in seeing it. Somewhat skeptical about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

kim_eire wrote:
    Hi all, i was on my way to work this morning at 5 o clock, and was smoking, once i finished it i decided i was sick of smoking, and i have not had one since. I usually smoke twenty a day! Any one any good advice, i think this evening when i go home and im bored watching tv that i might be tempted!!! What should i do?

I did the exact same thing this morning, woke up had a smoke and thought to myself i dont want to do this anymore. Its only the begining but i really want to stop, i always said i wouldnt smoke after 30, i was 30 in May and im still smoking 30 a day.
    Fruit sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Best of luck.
    I tried the 'stop at 30' thing too.
    I'm now on 40 a day.
    I could probably try harder though.

Keep it up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 goldielocks05

yea sure... it's called a book!!! didn't you do biology????

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

kim_eire wrote:

Always remember, smokers envy you, you’re a non smoker, and they are addicted.
    If your tempted just say, “Why should I go back to that misery again?” but beware, you can never, ever have “just one”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

yea sure... it's called a book!!! didn't you do biology????
    Really, thats very very strange, i have read many books on genetics and have not come across that before.

Cancer AFAIK is caused when a cell or group of cells stops working correctly and keeps replicating itself. This happens in the body and in most cases is shut down by the immune system. When the immune systems doesnt do its job the disease cancer is the result.

Bearing in mind there are many different forms of cancer, the full mechanism behind why all these different type of cancers occur and what triggers them in some people and not in others is a topic of ongoing scientific investigation.

The investigation of genetics is still pretty young, and i cant see how there has been adequate time to test out theories of mutation and transmission of mutated genes in the time since the human genome was mapped.

So prehaps instead of a smart ass answer you could provide a reference for the rather dubious claims you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

Hi :)
    I've given them up recently as well, god how I loved them! Anyway.. what I find helpful is to keep a diary, I don't write in it every day, just when I have one of those rare flashes of insight about why I shouldn't smoke. I even write down little pep talks for me to read before I go out drinking, a bit on the cheesy side :o but whatever works.. best of luck to everyone off them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dr.Gonzo

Not the best place to be posting this, but I just started back up on the fags.
    I feel like a nazi, but I love them. I really do!
    Im sorry.
    Fair play to anyone getting off them. They're evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Dr.Gonzo wrote:
    Im sorry.

Why did you stop smoking in the first place then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

but beware, you can never, ever have “just one”.

Not entirely true, after a few years you can be at the stage where you know you're no longer addicted and have the odd one (careful!). Let's face it, an occasional smoke is nice with a few pints. But give it a couple of years.

For the record, I quit regular smoking almost 5 years ago. I have a battered pack of silk cut at home that only gets touched maybe once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Off them today too, decided last week 10 yrs too long sick of it
    Tried numerous times and failed Alan carr and the rest
    Trying NiQuitin CQ patches this time allthough I dont really agree with the nicotine replacemnt therapy, cold turkey is just not for me....feel pretty good today no real craving yet, but from past experiences I know evenings are toughest
    best of luck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hellbell123

Not entirely true, after a few years you can be at the stage where you know you're no longer addicted and have the odd one (careful!). Let's face it, an occasional smoke is nice with a few pints. But give it a couple of years.

For the record, I quit regular smoking almost 5 years ago. I have a battered pack of silk cut at home that only gets touched maybe once a month.

i quit 6 months ago now and its the best thing iv ever done, could never go back to that !

just a question though...if your no longer addicted and only need to have the occasional cigarette ,why bother to do it at all ?
    after all it is pretty disgusting ,your clothes,hair ,breath smell..so why have even one if your not addicted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Dr.Gonzo wrote:
    Im sorry.
    Fair play to anyone getting off them. They're evil.

You're only fooling yourself. You dont love them, you're addicted to them!!
    Buy Allen Carrs book. It worked for me. You gotta read it in 2 days though, and if you really WANT giving them up, it'll work.
    I'm off them 4 years now, best thing I could ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

For the record, I quit regular smoking almost 5 years ago. I have a battered pack of silk cut at home that only gets touched maybe once a month.[/QUOTE]

eh well then you havent really quit then have you youve just cut down !

anyway i stopped today sick and tired of it at this stage filthy habit and i havent even enjoyed one for as long as i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jellybelly33

:p I just quit the cigs yesterday. Im going cold turkey which kinda suits me. I use to have one in the morning before work and nothing then until i left in the evening. My biggest problem is DP smokes about 30-a-day and alot of that is done in the evening when he is at home.I've no problems when Im home alone but if he is sitting smoking i get very bad cravings...any suggestions? I've taken up knitting in the evening and this keeps my hands busy.:(

i was smoking about 10-a-day and as i drive alot that's when i miss them most...

im in the same boat as yourself jellybelly, just stopped yesterday and made an agreement with herself that she just dont smoke in the same room as me for a little while. just to give me some chance, in all fairness she has been going out the back which is even better,

anyway good luck and stick at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'm off them 9 days now, find it the hardest when i'm out drinking though. if i'm really feeling the urge (Ireland game last sat being one!!) i buy a cigar and dont inhale it, something to do with your hands anyway

im in the same boat as yourself jellybelly, just stopped yesterday and made an agreement with herself that she just dont smoke in the same room as me for a little while. just to give me some chance, in all fairness she has been going out the back which is even better,

anyway good luck and stick at it.

If i asked him to leave and smoke outside he'd show me the door!!! If he is in the living room smoking, then i'll potter around the kitchen till he's finished. Thankfully i dont drink so the weekend wont be any different for me..let me know how your doing later in the week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Im off them since yesterday too, gone from 20 a day to zero, have been using the nicorette microtabs, apart from tasting like crap they seem to be taking the edge off it. I swear my sense of smell has gotton better already!!

Work was v tough as id usually go out for 4-5 over the course of theday and being stuck at my desk was a bit annoying but feck it by tomorrow i'll have saved 20 quid already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

pclancy wrote:
    Work was v tough as id usually go out for 4-5 over the course of theday and being stuck at my desk was a bit annoying but feck it by tomorrow i'll have saved 20 quid already!

I found that the hardest part, so to get away from the desk, I'd just go for a little walk somewhere for a while. Even in the morning, I'd still take my few minutes break, but instead of smoking, I'd hide in the toilet playing video games on my mobile. :o

day four, and it is getting so much easier, although i had a dream about smoking last night and think i was argueing too. the joys of smoke free living, only thing that i am a bit worried about is that i have been very tired in the evenings i went to bed at half ten last night which is unusuall for me but i was up at six, ha. anyway its great to be an x smoker dosnt always feel that way but im sure it will soon as its only early days,

ps, i can actually smell properly. scrubbed the inside of the car yesterday

Im on day four also and my biggest problem is i cant enough chocolate!! My tastebuds are improving but then again i had a throat infection since Sunday so that might explain everything tasting better;)
    I'm going cold turkey and Im finding sterpils sweets, extra mints and tic-tacs a god sent when im driving....I also have carrots cut into big chunks and chew on them when im sitting in traffic!!
    hth

yeah i know what you mean bout the chocolate ive been trying to stay away from sweets dont really want to be replacing smokes for food but have been eating loads of fruit, whenever i feel the need for a smoke i usually wait about ten mins try let it pass before i get my mitts on food or water. works sometimes i might forget about it.

Well i had a little slip-up last night. Had a row with DP and ended up having a drag of a cigerette.:cool: I admit it was a sneaky one when DP wasn't looking but i felt so sick and light-headed after it that i really didn't enjoy it.IYKWIM DP agreed to cut back on smoking when we are sitting around in the evening.
    I'm going to get back into my walking/jogging tonight and then its back to knotting in front of the tv for the weekend...
    how are the rest of you getting on?

still hanging in there, i have been doing my best to stay away from any type of argument and believe me that has been the most challenging of all. anyway cravings seem to be going its great but still hard not to be attracted but i try and think of the last nine months of wanting so bad to stop and as jellybelly said how horrible and sickening they really are..
    i have also been out running every day and find that helps relieve the tension and agitation have noticed that i have lots of energy too.

keep at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Thats what I call walking the tight rope :D:D

Total ignorant I know but I just love them and have'nt had time to think about the consequences.

Advertisement