Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Not entirely true, after a few years you can be at the stage where you know you're no longer addicted and have the odd one (careful!). Let's face it, an occasional smoke is nice with a few pints. But give it a couple of years.

For the record, I quit regular smoking almost 5 years ago. I have a battered pack of silk cut at home that only gets touched maybe once a month.
    I am horrified to read this, smoking is a disastrous habit and when you give up it’s a great achievement to stay off them. Never, ever have “just one” nicotine is so addictive you will soon be back to 40 a day or whatever you used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

a few more hours and it will be a week. YES. had a dream that i smoked a cigarette last night it was right freaky, cause i dont think i even enjoyed it ha ha. was really tempted last night to have one while out but did all i could to avoid them. it worked and must say i was quite pleased with my self :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Congrats on the week.
    Keep it up and you'll be feeling much better and better off in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

a few more hours and it will be a week. YES. had a dream that i smoked a cigarette last night it was right freaky, cause i dont think i even enjoyed it ha ha. was really tempted last night to have one while out but did all i could to avoid them. it worked and must say i was quite pleased with my self :D

Well done, you're not a smoker! It always helped me to think that as soon as you have that sneaky one, you're back to being a smoker again. The thought of losing a good week s work off them always made me decide its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jellybelly33

So glad to say i'm still off them and very proud of myself. Went for dinner on saturday night and when the DP came back to the table after having a cigerette I couldn't believe the smell of him... I never did notice it before.
    I'm also back walking a couple of mile a day to help me keep my mind off them, but my biggest temptation is at home in the evening just after my dinner....so hard to sit there looking at his box of cigs and not have one. The DP has started to not smoke when im beside him on the couch so its alot easier.....
    Roll on week 2:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I found the evenings difficult too so I kept a nail file/nail polish, etc beside me when watching the TV and would do my nails to take my mind off the cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Im a fecking muppet, got locked friday night and smoked my brains out. Same saturday and had a good few sunday. Today im back to square one, tastebuds dead again!

Im just going to go cold turkey this week, feck nicorette i think its better get the worst of the nicotene out of your system in 3-4 days then taking it through microtabs etc, im defo avoiding the pubs for a few weeks im way too stupid after a few beers and know too many smokers.

Here i go again :) Fair play to all those still off them...

evenings are quite tough, i found that once i cant actually see her cig box its so much easier i tend to throw a magazine or paper over the box. still get mad cravings ive noticed that my mouth even starts watering, crazy. just try doing something till it passes just hope that goes away quite soon! I know people say there sleep gets effected but mine is taking the piss since stopping i have been awake at around 5 and 6 every morn and not being able to get back asleep has anyone else been affected this way.?

anyway week 2. Rock on!

Well Im still going strong... last night things got very edgy so i headed to the swimming pool and by the time i was all packed and ready to go the craving was gone...I still went swimming and very proud of myself(only a learner).:cool:

pclancy...good to see you are back of them again. I know a man who gave up smoking 40-aday but now is addited to the gum..he eat 12 a day and thats 4 years later!!! Cold turkey is the way to go I think:)

sideshowdave....I found the same with my sleeping last week but beacuse i'm up at 6.15am I just went to bed alittle bit earlier. I did debate on gong for a jog one morning but I live in the middle of nowhere and it was dark out so I just headed back to my bed.;)

Well I was doing so well but last night I nearly buckled... I think it all start with the 1.hr extra it took me to get home yesterday. Sitting in the traffic with no water, mints or gum i nearly went mad. I no longer have any nails left. After my dinner I headed out visiting and them off to the pool again. It worked as i didnt think about a cig until I was sitting in traffic again this morning but I had my water so it passed quick enough. How are the rest of you managing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I gave up (again) Monday week ago. Going great, havnt had a single cig, even stopped smoking joints which is were i usually failed before. I'm using the patches as well and i think there making a huge differance. Im also sleeping much better, but im still waking up with the tast of cigs in my mouth. I cant beleive i got through last weekend, thats always the hardest thing, just gotta get through this one, but im feeling really good about it.

yeah still hanging in there, woke up this morn "5.40" :( and first time a smoke was not first thing on my mind, i realised this when i walked down stairs and after two mins noticed her cig box on the counter. deppression set in fairly quick. so finding it tough at times but not at the times that i thought i would like after dinner or out with mates or that dreaded morning break its more like when im just doing nothing that the cravings start. but still its great to be off them finally. nine days under de belt.

may the force be with you all.

Im hanging in there and only just. I was strongly temped to go back smoking after gaining 2.5lb in the 2 weeks i've been off the cigs..(weight is another battle i'm been fighting since april)...i'll hang in a little bit longer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hang in there! Don't smoke! Imagine starting at day 1 again??? That is one thing I kept saying to myself in the first weeks when I gave up. I gave up cigarettes and started a diet on the same day. I'm five months off the cigarettes and 24 pounds lighter! It can be done!!

yeah dont let a few pounds get the better of ye, take one thing at a time, smoking. when your off the smokes for a while then tackle the weight and in the mean time just try exercise a little more and fight that urge to eat, cause thats what ive been doing and its not easy but works sometimes and what smk said about being back at day 1 again that idea kills me, through shear grit and determation im hanging in there and it is actually getting easier. does not always feel that way but after this last week it sure has improved.

day 12. thought i was going to lose it yesterday i just wanted to have one!but didnt, man it was hell trying to hold out. im still hanging in there with the hope that this will get easier each time i want a cigarette and i think it is or else im just telling myself it is, even still thoughts of being back at that first day kills me. so im staying putt for now.
    hope everyone else is doing well..

It's a cliche, but one day at a time.
    You're almost at the two week mark. Don't give in.

still hanging in but only just....suffering very bad with chest infection since i quit and it ain't shifting too easi:) ly

That doesn't sound good.

Go and see a doctor, just to be on the safe side.

:( Sorry to say I 'fell of the wagon' on Sunday. Very sick all weekend and after get tablets from the doc still didn't feel good so had a ciggie out of pity for myself. I have realised im not in the right frame of mind to complete quit so I've had 1 at night. I will be back but just not at the minute...Sorry

• Advertisement

Not many people succeed straight away.
    Just keep trying.

Thanks Terry. When i get my head around it properly, I'll give it another go. Best of luck to the rest of you and i'll keep an eye on you...JB

sorry to hear your not well jb, and i wish you well in the future, im still hanging in there day 16 today of no nicoteen hasnt been easy " actually i cant think of anything thats been harder".

Keep it up, sideshowdave.
    It gets easier (or so I'm told. Never made it past 7 days myself).

Advertisement