Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer running slow-Any tips?

• 17-07-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

My computer is going slow lately. I have defraged it and that din't help. It can be jittery and when I try to open something it may take a while. It used to run okay? Any tips on what I could do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Use Task manager to see what processes are running, could be something dodgy.

Is it an old PC at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Run an anti-virus scan along with some anti-spyware software and CCleaner, see if that gets you anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Check your running processes. Have a look at what's starting up with Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I have the computer since 2004. I have run Anti-virus. It foung one or two viruses but it said it got rid of them. One was called Downloader I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

try www.pcpitstop.com.

It runs general tests on your PC, and alerts you to what may be causing it to run below full potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

I'd say first off use spybot, ad-aware and ccleaner which are all available from www.download.com. Spybot and ad-aware work well together in elliminating most spyware. Schedule a scan of your pc in spybot for every couple of days if you do a fair bit of online stuff.

Ccleaner gets rid of all the junk clogging up your pc, just make sure to have whatever browser you use closed for it to have it's full affect. What anti-virus are you using? Is it fully up to date? I like avg, just the free version for me! I find it works great and it takes care of itself.

If your pc is still running slow, try hijackthis which is also available from download.com. This runs through all your startups and reg and other things. You run a scan of your pc and then you can post the result in www.hijackthis.de where it will get analyzed and any possible nastys will get pointed out. just be careful before deleting anything though and make sure you know it's a baddie!

Another wierd culprit that I've come across though is the svchost process while doing automatic updates. I came across this a few months ago because this supposedly 'good' process was eating the cpu of a pc and the only way i could fix it was to just turn off automatic updates completely. The pc got wiped shortly after so i never did find out how to fix it properly but i've heard it can be a problem.

Maybe you just have quite a few good processes running on your pc and memory might be the issue.?? Or if it's just slow after startup, a cool little tool called startup delayer is really handy - you can stagger all your start up processes so your pc isn't doing a million things at once. Here's the link for that http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I recommend running HijackThis also, but DO NOT use the site www.hijackthis.de
    Post it here instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

try www.pcpitstop.com.

It runs general tests on your PC, and alerts you to what may be causing it to run below full potential.

Another vote for this. I use it all the time to make sure my computers are in top shape. Best off using Internet Explorer to view the site and do the tests as it can hang with Firefox at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Click the start button in the bottom left of your scree, then click "run" then type "msconfig" and it will open up a new smaller window. From here you should see around 6 tabs, the last one on the right called startup, click that then realistically you should have (after turning some off) just your firewall and anti-virus guard left. Then hit ok and restart compuer now, voila, hope that helps :P

Okay so I ran the PCPitStop but I didn't know you had to pay for it. Then I ran the CCleaner. It seems better but I am not sure. It usually is slow when I first turn on the computer and open applications. Any other tips? Thanks for all of the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Check ATA/ATAPI Controller advanced settings to make sure that they are correct. Sometimes if they are incorrect can slow down the unit

Dman001 wrote:
    Okay so I ran the PCPitStop but I didn't know you had to pay for it. Then I ran the CCleaner. It seems better but I am not sure. It usually is slow when I first turn on the computer and open applications. Any other tips? Thanks for all of the help.

Ehhhh... You don't have to pay for it. You register for free on the site. Click run full tests, let it install an activeX controller and let it scan. After it's done it will let you know what needs to be done if anything.

By the sounds of it you went for the software called PCPitstop Optimize which nobody actually mentioned as you have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

2004 let me guess windows xp?
    You more then likely have your windows updates set to auto?

If so you might have a problem being caused by svchost.. do a google on svchost and slow.
    Check your processes running before doing anything to svchost!

Secondly clean your system, adaware, spybot, clear out your temp internet files and run a disk defrag if you haven't done one since you got your pc.

Okay so I have cleaned my system a bit by deleting cookies and temp internet files. I have already defraged my computer but that didn't help. In the Windows Task Manager I have 40 Processes. Is that normal? Thanks for all of the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

as previous posters have said dowload Hijackthis and post the log here, then we can see if you PC is infected with spyware

Okay so this is the result of Hijackthis.
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 13:25:30, on 18/07/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7051\WLService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7051\WLanCfgG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

That's only a tiny bit of the HijackThis log, it is a lot bigger. It should look like this
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/INfected-Winantivirus-more-t162998.html

Also don't put it in quotes, makes it a pain to read

That's only a tiny bit of the HijackThis log, it is a lot bigger. It should look like this
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/INfected-Winantivirus-more-t162998.html

Also don't put it in quotes, makes it a pain to read
    Okay I wasn't sure if you needed all of it. This is all of it.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 13:25:30, on 18/07/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7051\WLService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7051\WLanCfgG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS Tray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\sistray.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {4D7F48C0-CB49-4EA6-97D4-04F4EACC2F3B} (InstallShield Setup Player 2K2) - http://sib1.od2.com/common/Member/ClientInstall/7.20.0003/OCI/setup.exe
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D1E7CBDA-E60E-4970-A01C-37301EF7BF98} (Measurement Services Client v.3.11) - http://gameadvisor.futuremark.com/global/msc311.cab
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G USB Driver (Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G USB Network Adapter Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7051\WLService.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
    O23 - Service: SpywareCleanerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spyware Cleaner\SCService.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

I see you have Spyware Cleaner installed on your PC, this is considered a rogue anti-spyware product that gives false positives. You can read more about it here

I recommend getting rid of it, if you want to do the following :

Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Remove Spyware Cleaner

Then delete this folder in bold if present

C:\Program Files\Spyware Cleaner

Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
    Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
    Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
    Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

So post the HijackThis Uninstall List in your next reply

Uninstall List:

Adobe Reader 6.0.1
    Apple Software Update
    ArcSoft Software Suite
    ArcSoft VideoImpression 2
    ATI - Software Uninstall Utility
    ATI Control Panel
    ATI Display Driver
    ATI HydraVision
    Auto Gordian Knot 2.15 beta
    Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G USB Network Adapter
    Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003
    CC_ccStart
    ccCommon
    CCleaner (remove only)
    C-Media WDM Audio Driver
    DivX Codec
    DivX Content Uploader
    DivX Converter
    DivX Player
    DivX Web Player
    DVD Decrypter (Remove Only)
    figo screensaver
    Futuremark Measurement Services Client
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format 11 SDK (KB929399)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB914440)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB915865)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB926239)
    HP Deskjet 3740
    HP Extended Capabilities 5.3
    HP Image Zone Express
    HP Imaging Device Functions 5.3
    HP Memories Disc
    HP Photo and Imaging 2.1 - Scanjet 2400 Series
    HP Photosmart 330,380,420,470,7800,8000,8200 Series
    HP Software Update
    HP Solution Center & Imaging Support Tools 5.3
    InterActual Player
    iPod for Windows 2005-06-26
    iTunes
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    L&H TTS3000 British English
    LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
    LiveUpdate 1.90 (Symantec Corporation)
    Macromedia Shockwave Player
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
    Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Plus - WE 2004
    Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
    Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
    Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.5
    Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 VCM
    Morpheus 4.9 (remove only)
    MSN
    MSRedist
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB927977)
    Music Manager
    Music Visualizer Library 1.4.00
    Nero Suite
    Nikefootball_Ronaldinho Screen Saver
    nistelrooy screensaver
    Nokia Connectivity Adapter Cable DKU-5
    Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver
    NokiaFREE Unlock Codes Calculator
    Norton AntiVirus 2004
    Norton AntiVirus 2004 (Symantec Corporation)
    Norton AntiVirus Parent MSI
    Norton AntiVirus SYMLT MSI
    OpenMG Limited Patch 4.3-05-10-05-01
    OpenMG Secure Module 4.3.00
    PC Connectivity Solution
    PC Pitstop Optimize 1.5
    PowerDVD
    QuickTime
    ronaldinho screensaver
    ronaldo screensaver
    Salling Clicker
    Screensavers Installer
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB928365)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB928090)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB929969)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB931768)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB933566)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB911565)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB883939)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896688)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899588)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899589)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901190)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB903235)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905915)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912812)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB916281)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923694)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB929123)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)
    Shockwave
    SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741
    SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver
    Sitecom Station Adapter Utility
    Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3
    SUPER © Version 2007.bld.22 (Mar 14, 2007)
    Symantec Script Blocking Installer
    SymNet
    UEFA EURO 2004 (TM) Kinas Screen Saver
    Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
    Update for Windows XP (KB896727)
    Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
    Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
    Update for Windows XP (KB904942)
    Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
    Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
    Update for Windows XP (KB931836)
    Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
    VobSub v2.23 (Remove Only)
    Windows Driver Package - Nokia (WUDFRd) WPD (11/03/2006 6.82.26.2)
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Internet Explorer 7
    Windows Media ASF View 9 Series
    Windows Media Encoder 9 Series
    Windows Media Encoder 9 Series
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows Media Player 11
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB834707
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB867282
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873333
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890047
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890175
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890923
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB893066
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB893086
    WinZip
    WMPTagSupportExtender
    XviD MPEG4 Video Codec (remove only)
    YAMB

• Advertisement

Well it isn't a spyware problem, thats for sure. Few things you should do

You are using a very old version of Spybot - Search and Destroy, you can update it here

Your using an old version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, this can leave your pc open to vulnerabilities, you can update it here :
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

You now need to update your Java and remove your older versions.
    Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components.

* Click Start > Control Panel.
    * Click Add/Remove Programs.
    * Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the name.
    * Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.

Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE), and install it to your computer from
    here

Is that really important though?

No it's not, they won't help unless Spyware Cleaner was responsible for your slow PC, which is doubtful. They were just some little maintenance you should do. We have ruled out it being spyware which is good, shouldn't be too hard to find out what the problem is now.

Hopefully somebody else can help you now

How long have you had that Screensavers Installer and football screensavers installed on your computer? I don't know exactly where you got it obviously but have found that a lot of those programs can possibly be detrimental to the running of a PC. Such as slowing it down and so on.

The screensaver has been on ages. I personally don't think it is the problem but it may be. Could the problem be that I have to much stuff on the computer? I have a load of apps and videos and songs.

If it's been on ages then maybe it isn't the problem. I just have a hatred for them and know that there are some nasty apps out there based on people's love of screensavers.

It could well be that there is so much on your computer. Hown many programs have you got running on startup? Or how many icons are in the tray beside the clock when they are not hidden. Expand the arrow and let me know.

onechewy wrote:
    Maybe you just have quite a few good processes running on your pc and memory might be the issue.?? Or if it's just slow after startup, a cool little tool called startup delayer is really handy - you can stagger all your start up processes so your pc isn't doing a million things at once. Here's the link for that http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

Maybe try giving that a go..?

I have 9 icons in the tray.

I have 9 icons in the tray.

• Advertisement

go into task manager and see whats hogging all your cpu / memory.

- Right click on your taskbar and select task manager from the little menu that pops up
    -Select the processes tab and sort all the processes by cpu usage (do this by clicking the cpu tab)
    -have a look and see whats taking up the top few percentages. If you don't know what the processes are, just google them and you'll find you what they are quick enough. There might be some program running in the background that you're just not aware of.
    -sort the processes by mem usage as well, this will show you how your memory is being dished out to all the different processes. A process may not be hogging your cpu, but it can hog your memory so check it out.

Kill your automatic updates as well to see if it makes a difference.

Svchost is taking up the most memory and System Idle Process has the most CPU.

onechewy wrote:
    Another wierd culprit that I've come across though is the svchost process while doing automatic updates. I came across this a few months ago because this supposedly 'good' process was eating the cpu of a pc and the only way i could fix it was to just turn off automatic updates completely. The pc got wiped shortly after so i never did find out how to fix it properly but i've heard it can be a problem.

There ya go..! Turn off your automatic updates in control panel and that should kill svchost hogging your cpu. Then go find a solution or a fix..! I've no idea what a fix would be for it..

Have a look at this, this should send you on the right track:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=207618&start=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd just format it if I was you. Back up all your important file and use the original disk you got with the PC. It'll be like it was brand new again.

So I turned off the Automatic Updates and that didn't help. If I right click it in the Task Manager and press End Process would that work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

I was checking that out as well, so i had a look at mine with Task Manager & saw this in the pics provided ->

Any ideas?

Advertisement