Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WCG 2007, Ireland & PGR3 - Everyone please Read!!!

• 17-07-2007 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I can't help but think that there's a lack of enthusiasm for this competition among Xbox 360 players. There seems to be some sort of momentum gathering in relation to the PC competitions (Counter Strike and FIFA) but none for PGR3. Of the people signed up for the PGR3 event, most are those who competed last year. Console gamers are constantly being called casual gamers........and judging from the response to this competition, I well believe it. You don't have to bring anything with you unless you want to use a steering wheel or your own controller. All Xbox 360s and LCD TVs will be provided by the Xbox Live Gaming Centre.

There is a serious reward for whoever comes out on top..........represent your country at WCG 2007 in Seattle!!!! If you attend the main qualifier it's 1 day out of your life which can result in something that you'll remember for the rest of it. (I'm sure there will be other swag on offer too :) )

If you are currently playing the game then I suggest trying out the following qualifiers: next week at the Midlans LAN, with Galway happening a week later and then Gamecon about 3/4 weeks after that. If you haven't played it in a while or never before........bare this in mind.......Roisin Ingle, a reporter from the Irish Times, competed in this last year. She played it for about a month beforehand and did very well in the qualifiers, giving the more experienced racers a run for the money. So there's plenty of time to practice.

For those who have signed up or thought about it, what do you think your chances are? Can you not go because of the age limit? Some feedback at all would be great as if there's no interest I doubt the competition will go ahead.

Even if you plan on going but just to watch or compete in the other non qualifier competitions..........you still need to sign up!!!

WCG Ireland
    WCG Ireland myspace
    Lanparty.ie
    CS Related WCG Sticky

Are you going to the WCG Qualifiers? 10 votes

I'm going for PGR3
    0% 0 votes
    I'm going but not for PGR3
    30% 3 votes
    I'm going but only to spectate
    40% 4 votes
    No I can't go, Unavailable that weekend
    0% 0 votes
    No I can't go, Too young
    0% 0 votes
    No I'm not going, too lazy and I'm a n00b!!!!!!
    30% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If they had GoW, RB6 or almost anything else, I'm sure it would have gotten a much better response.
    There are not many people playing PG3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mcgovern wrote:
    If they had GoW, RB6 or almost anything else, I'm sure it would have gotten a much better response.

I understand where you're coming. The thing is, PGR as a gaming series has feartured in 3 WCG events (3 after this year and imo it will continue to do so even with the release of Forza Motorsport 2), the pan-WCG events, WSVG and is now being used by CGS for it's first season of gaming been shown on DirectTV(where players are earning a basic salary of $30,000 per year with potential earnings of over $100,000).

With Forza Motorsport 2 there are too many variables in relation to setups so I think they'll stick with PGR3 as it's more of a level playing ground in terms of relying on a persons skill in game.........it's pretty much the same with all WCG games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TBH there will never be an interest if organisers keep throwing away spaces at the games which are weak in wCg or the games we are going to get slaughtered in.

No one is going to progress past group stages fact. I get so pissed off knowing that I and some of my friends could represent the country well in warcraft 3, but instead tickets go to games like fifa and pgr3, which on the wcg level, are pretty much laughed at......

When i see someone get by group stages and do well ill shut up, until then im going to keep being sour and moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Consoles are for casual gamers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheesedude wrote:
    Consoles are for casual gamers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If GoW was there I'm sure there would be a better response. People s=just don't play the games we are representing much.

If GoW was there I'm sure there would be a better response.

Again you've a completely new game thrown into the mix where people are unproven and it also poses a financial issue with sending 4 players over.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

As an aside, the lanparty site says there is a GoW tournament, albeit not a WCG qualifier... so perhaps there's prizes for these too? Prizes last year were fairly alright, I think. My memory is a bit foggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well im going for FIFA, but im not sure many others are.

Tazzle wrote:
    Prizes last year were fairly alright, I think. My memory is a bit foggy.

Prizes were damn good last year. Creative, Havok and Xbox Centre all threw stuff into the kitty.

I would imagine it'll be the same again this year and plus Microsoft are on board.

Let us not forget that last year's event was free for competitors so to come away with prizes from a free LAN was awesome imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Why couldn’t it have been set up so that only stock cars are used in forza? Forza > PGR3. Forza is more realistic, more fun and has a lot more users. It’s a bit ridiculous to say you're not using it because of the tuning and saying its unbalanced, when you can just use the stock cars and make it a very challenging balanced game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Im by no means a casual gamer. As mentioned above me, if there was any of the following games I would definitly go. Graw 1/2, COD 2/3, Rainbow 6 Vegas, GOW and Shadowrun. Im not big into racing games

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

JM is ranked number 1 in the world in about 5 games :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Or did I read wrong??

unregd147 wrote:
    Why couldn’t it have been set up so that only stock cars are used in forza? Forza > PGR3. Forza is more realistic, more fun and has a lot more users. It’s a bit ridiculous to say you're not using it because of the tuning and saying its unbalanced, when you can just use the stock cars and make it a very challenging balanced game.

What I said about them using PGR over Forza was my opinion. The Irish WCG team don't set the games that are to be featured at WCG, they only follow the rules laid out by the WCG committee, which is based in South Korea (I think it's South Korea anyway :confused:). You can read about WCG here

unregd147 wrote:
    Or did I read wrong??

That ranking is based on achievements on a particular game. If you've got all the achievements then you'll be joint first with everyone else who has got the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

unregd147 wrote:
    JM is ranked number 1 in the world in about 5 games :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Or did I read wrong??

If you have all 1000 gamerscore points for a game you're ranked first. You might be splitting that first rank with a lot of people though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

My claim to fame was being in the top 50 in COD3 until I stopped playing it.

JM MARCONI wrote:
    My claim to fame was being in the top 50 in COD3 until I stopped playing it.

Super...........back to WCG now ;)

A few more people have signed up........it would be great if more of you could put your name down. Even if you just want to attend to spectate you need to sign up..........think of the children;) in a non sexy way though, WCG do not condone that sort of behaviour!!!! :mad:

Signups are still open but will close soon!!! DO IT!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I'm in are'nt i?
    :confused:

Which reminds me gota start practice :D

I'm in are'nt i?
    :confused:

Which reminds me gota start practice :D

Yeah you're in :)

Closing date for signups is 24th August 2007. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

good luck over the weekend man (or if it is before then)

even if you get payed to play I am still going to call you a bum

Thanks dude.

I've just registered and am currently at the venue now. Quite possibly th best gaming centre on earth. www.omegasektor.com AWESOME!!!!

You can check my progress on www.thecgs.com :cool:

Advertisement