Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US university system.

Options
  • 17-07-2007 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for information about the US university system.

Here's what I know already

1. Most people usually do a four year degree, that's if they don't go to a community college, where they'd do a 2 year course.
    2. You choose your 'major' in 3rd year and you can have a minor too. Or you can have 3 minors and no major.
    3. 1st years are called 'freshmen' and everyone studies the same courses in 1st year & 2nd year.
    4. It's expensive, most US students are in debt by the time they graduate.

How does it compare with Irish degrees?
    What about study abroad programmes (for Americans) (is it called Socretes?)?
    I presume they work on a credit system?

Thanks - any general-ish information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

The workload is generally a lot more consistent, with a lot more continuous assessment. Final exams are usually 20%of total grade.

A passing grade is 60%, however.
    An average undergrad year is 30 credits, at least it was for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

Tchocky wrote:
    The workload is generally a lot more consistent, with a lot more continuous assessment. Final exams are usually 20%of total grade.

A passing grade is 60%, however.
    An average undergrad year is 30 credits, at least it was for me.

Only 20%? That's tough.

Are the degrees awarded like 2.1, 1.1 etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

I preferred it that way, if I ****ed up a final it wasn't the end of the world.

I'm not sure about degrees.

Class grades run A - 100-90%, B - 90-80, C - 80-70, D 70-60

Advertisement