Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Connecting battery

Options
  • 17-07-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I want to take my bettery out, im just wondering do i need to disconnect or reconnect the wires in a particular order. Or is there any other thing i need to do when doing this. I failed the NCT on the battery mounting being loose, im not sure if it need to be preflaced or if i can fix it so id like to take the battery out and have a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Best off to disconnect the negative (-) lead first and reconnect it last. Ensure the ignition is off and you have the keys in your pocket. Also make sure you have the radio code...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

get a 10mm spanner! I had a 9mm and an 11mm... it's always the one you don't have...

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

the terminals dont seem to have any markings on them, one has a red cover on it, one has some black tape on itDoesnt seem to be any indicator on the battery at all.

edit:doing a google image search it appears that the red connector which is on hte left looking in would be negative, seems battery are all mounted backwards so the writing is upsiddown on it looking in from the front of the car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Red cover is normally the positive side!! Black is negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I see :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

rowanh wrote:
    the terminals dont seem to have any markings on them, one has a red cover on it, one has some black tape on itDoesnt seem to be any indicator on the battery at all.

edit:doing a google image search it appears that the red connector which is on hte left looking in would be negative, seems battery are all mounted backwards so the writing is upsiddown on it looking in from the front of the car.

There is no convention for batteries in this regard. Left hand post could be + or - , it varies from one manufacturer to the next. As jonny24ie said, red is usually positive, black, brown or bare would be negative. If you're in any doubt follow the cables - the one that connects to metal (engine/gearbox/chassis) is the negative.

Advertisement