Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just checking parts, need a monitor

Options
  • 17-07-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black € 71.00
    Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS, €122.00
    ABIT IB9, P965, Socket-775, GbLAN, € 106.00 (motherboards confuse me aswell)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket €215.00 (was like €202 4 days ago :( )
    Corsair TWIN2X 5400 DDR2, 2048MB PC5400 €91.00 (ram confusing aswell :p)
    Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 320MB, €298.00 <3
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA2 €98.95 *shrugs*
    LG DVD Drive, GDR-8164RBB, 16x52, Black OEM €20.50 (dont need dvdburner)

total is €1022.45

its the komplett gamer rig but changed slighty. i might change who to order from ifs its alot cheaper

my main thing is i have 215ish euro to spend on a monitor used for gaming 19" prob best option but i dont know good monitors cos i been using a crt for like 7 years now :p

will prob upgrade in future and maybe overclock it but only small amount (would buy fans and heatsinks l8r for processor)

so any oppinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If your main thing is gaming and you have the space crt is probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

yeah but i dunno if most places even sell crts anymore do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (stealing someones quote here i know:p )...DONT GET A CRT. GET AN LCD, ya can get plenty of 19" monitors for 215ish!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (stealing someones quote here i know:p )...DONT GET A CRT. GET AN LCD

crt vs. lcd, it's been discussed to death. It really depends on how seriously he takes his gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

well for the moment then i can jsut get a crt monitor from my dad's office but then is there a difference between a standard office monitor and a new lcd monitor. i wouldn't know the sepcs of the crt monitor

edit: hmm i think i know that crts are meant to be better for gaming cos the got better responsiveness to changing colours, well changing from one shade of grey to a different shade instead of the usual test of going from white to black to measure response times. (am i right there? i read article on it ages ago and jsut remembering that usually crts are btr)
    is it true lcds screens have trouble switching resoultions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well CRT's are still pretty good for gaming and really only now LCD's are starting to match them in areas where they were lacking for quite some time.

The colour accuracy, ghosting/response time issues have all been largely engineered away and black levels are approaching the same capabilities of CRT's now with some of the latest generation LCD panels but it is true that really LCD's for a long time were inferior to CRT's.

I have read very positive reviews on the LG L206WTQ, it has a very low 2ms response time, full colour accuracy, widescreen 1680 x 1050 and is very good for games so if your looking for an LCD then that is a good recommendation. The only downside is that the stand is not adjustable and the colours are not set properly out of the box but a French LCD review site handily supplies a calibrated profile which corrects that minor flaw. To install the profile download the Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP, {it's already built into Vista} and simply load in the profile and set it as default.

As for resolution changing yes that has always been a prickly point for LCD's as LCD panels are made with a specific resolution in mind (the maximum resolution of the panel) and all other resolutions rely on a scaler built into the panel now over the years this has gotten a lot better so at worst these days the image gets softened a bit when running at non-native resolution so it's not a major deal like it used to be especially for games.

Advertisement