Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Dell PC

Options
  • 17-07-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I am thiinking of buying a dell PC.

Basic ram is 2GB, but I want 4GB (so PC will last that bit longer)

It uses 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

They want €120 to install 4GB over 2GB.

Would it be cheaper and not too much hassle to just get the 2GB installed and upgrade it later, or will I just let them install it.

I am a relative novice at computers, but my limited knowledge would stretch to know how to change RAM!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

It really depends on what you are planning on using the computer for. 2Gb of ram is absoloutely plenty for general use; if you arent planning on doing any heavy video/digital media editing, its not nessecary at all. Chances are, by the time 2Gb is no longer coping, the rest of your rig will be struggling too. Spend the 120 on a better cpu, graphics card or on whatever tickles your fancy, its probably not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

As far as I know, Dell only supply 32 bit operating systems with their home pcs, and a 32 bit os can't even recognise 4Gb of ram. Two will be plenty for the majority of home users anyway :)

Advertisement