Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway: I Approve

Options
  • 17-07-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Just thought I'd let all who advised me when I first moved down last month that I have officially put my stamp of approval on living in Galway. I love it! The sea, the restaurants, the pubs, the people...its great. I'm still slightly friendless but thats mostly down to lack of effort, but I can see how great its going to be once I do get to know people. Some of my Dublin friends came down over the weekend and I think they left jealous of me! Love it. Today I was in Connemara for work and as we were driving along the coast in the sunshine I actually uttered the blasphemous words: "Why would anyone live in Dublin?" Now...I felt guilty afterwards and of course washed my mouth out with soap to rid myself of the disloyalty, but still...I said it. Galway is great. So there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Galway is Great.
    Dublin is a Smelly Tip.

Discussion over...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Glad you like it Louise... I've been here 5 years, still every so often get a hankering for the East Coast (when there's a good gig on in our nations Capital), but less and less these days...

Somebody should form an ex-leinster club so that we can all sit around slapping each others backs and telling ourselves how clever we are to have moved west!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Join up to couchsurfers, we meet every so often (not as often as we should) you'll meet a good few people (from all over the world) that have just moved to Galway so their in the same boat as yourself.
    louisecm wrote:
    I actually uttered the blasphemous words: "Why would anyone live in Dublin?" Now...I felt guilty
    But your only speaking the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

hm, I've been here 5 years in total, and I still get a hankering for sunshine...Will the cravings ever go away? Will my mother stop calling me "anaemic" and accept I'm living on the west coast of Ireland, where the sun hardly ever shines, and if it does, it's through rain clouds?

(but apart from that, it ain't bad over here...;-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Most of my parents friends lived in Dublin. Over the past 5 years almost all have moved here & if anything look younger than they ever did. I think it's a great place to live, everyone move here! Rather than to hell or to Connaught I'd say To heaven or Connaught? I'll take Connaught thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

louisecm wrote:
    Just thought I'd let all who advised me when I first moved down last month that I have officially put my stamp of approval on living in Galway. I love it! The sea, the restaurants, the pubs, the people...its great. I'm still slightly friendless but thats mostly down to lack of effort, but I can see how great its going to be once I do get to know people. Some of my Dublin friends came down over the weekend and I think they left jealous of me! Love it. Today I was in Connemara for work and as we were driving along the coast in the sunshine I actually uttered the blasphemous words: "Why would anyone live in Dublin?" Now...I felt guilty afterwards and of course washed my mouth out with soap to rid myself of the disloyalty, but still...I said it. Galway is great. So there.

Damn straight! Was in your situation in October and still loving it now. You probably drove past my office today in fact. Dublin is a festering wasteland compared to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

louisecm wrote:
    Galway is great. So there.
    Welcome to the land of the tribes!! You know it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Somebody should form an ex-leinster club so that we can all sit around slapping each others backs and telling ourselves how clever we are to have moved west!

I read that as "slapping each others bollocks"

god damn :(

Slap away, ye're the smart ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

louisecm wrote:

Hey Louise, I knew it would grow on ya! Doesn't take long does it?!
    I grew up in Dublin and there's no way I'd move back. Great to head up for the odd weekend and catch up with mates, etc, but they always prefer coming here for some reason...
    So did you find a good local or are you still "sampling"?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've had English, Scottish and Swedish friends over, they all wanted to stay/.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm waiting for the 1st of my friends to come over from the uk to realise why i decided to move here.

MattKid wrote:
    I'm waiting for the 1st of my friends to come over from the uk to realise why i decided to move here.
    My UK friends were shocked that we could stagger from pub to pub without any trouble.They were very impressed with the amount of good pubs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway is the city equivalent of Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anytime I got out in other towns (Limerick/Dublin/Cork) I always frind myself saying 'It's no Galway' and it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Glad we're all in agreement. I haven't found a local yet Galway Guy and if I'm honest, I haven't been nearly scientific enough in the process of discovery. Must put my head down and work harder on it. :)

louisecm wrote:
    Glad we're all in agreement. I haven't found a local yet Galway Guy and if I'm honest, I haven't been nearly scientific enough in the process of discovery. Must put my head down and work harder on it. :)

Tut tut!! First thing that should be done is a scientific analysis of local hostelries and selection of a local. Comes waaaayy before setting up new offices or finding a place to live :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There's a few of us locals left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Tut tut!! First thing that should be done is a scientific analysis of local hostelries and selection of a local. Comes waaaayy before setting up new offices or finding a place to live :rolleyes:

No need for all the auld scientific analysis. Finding a local in Galway is as easy as 1,2,3:

1) Pubs containing gomers with fauxhawks and the standard issue checky white shirt should be avoided at all costs i.e. The Quays, Front Door, Living Room, Buskers.

2) Pubs containing girls who emit a radioactive glow from all the fake tan, insist on standing in an immovable huddle RIGHT in the flightpath between table, bar and jax and look at you like you've seven heads when you try to politely excuse yourself while vainly attempting to make your way through them with three pints of Guinness in your hands and two vodkas and red bull in your jacket pocket i.e. see above list

3) Any pub where the bulk of the occupants consider CPs, Karma or Halo as viable post-closing time destinations for the continuation of revelry.

All you really need is Neachtain's for a good pint. Roisin (or Massimo in a pinch) for a late one. Kebab for the walk home or Emperor City to get a few bottles for the party, wherever it may be. Spot on!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

@mahel : nicely put!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Mahell wrote:
    No need for all the auld scientific analysis. Finding a local in Galway is as easy as 1,2,3:

1) Pubs containing gomers with fauxhawks and the standard issue checky white shirt should be avoided at all costs i.e. The Quays, Front Door, Living Room, Buskers.

2) Pubs containing girls who emit a radioactive glow from all the fake tan, insist on standing in an immovable huddle RIGHT in the flightpath between table, bar and jax and look at you like you've seven heads when you try to politely excuse yourself while vainly attempting to make your way through them with three pints of Guinness in your hands and two vodkas and red bull in your jacket pocket i.e. see above list

3) Any pub where the bulk of the occupants consider CPs, Karma or Halo as viable post-closing time destinations for the continuation of revelry.

All you really need is Neachtain's for a good pint. Roisin (or Massimo in a pinch) for a late one. Kebab for the walk home or Emperor City to get a few bottles for the party, wherever it may be. Spot on!!! :D
    You. Are. Over. 40. Years. Old.

or else you're clueless.

DRakE wrote:
    You. Are. Over. 40. Years. Old.

or else you're clueless.

LOL, my thoughts exactly!

You need a local for those quiet pints and a chat. The likes of Freeneys, Murphys, etc
    You go to those other places for "other activities" and a bit of craic. If you're young and single you will probably spend a good few nights there...

Opinions on nightclubs are varying so are they? I find some of this kinda funny but some is spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Am I the only one thats sick of the city?, I've been to almost all the pubs and clubs been here almost my entire life...almost all the pubs and clubs seem the same to me at this point. GPO and Boo's are rowdy as hell, Karma and CP's are a little bit up their own holes and usually crowded, Halo is just behind up its own holes and a bit older than the rest. Haven't been in PI yet because it doesn't seem to get a big crowd. As far as pubs go, Freeneys do a great pint, theres good Guiness in The Crane and its good during the Trad Tuesday nights. Kings Head isn't all that good but its always gets a crowd and sells pitchers of Fosters for 10 euros. Never liked The Cellar...Front Door is very Yuppie'ish...couldn't really name many places I'd like have a preference for anymore....and it seems like other than drinking theres not much to do around here, And I know alot will point to The Arts Festival and Races etc. but after a while they lose their charm, well for me at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Wompa1 wrote:
    Am I the only one thats sick of the city?, I've been to almost all the pubs and clubs been here almost my entire life...

Theres your problem, you need to get away and travel a bit.

padi89 wrote:
    Theres your problem, you need to get away and travel a bit.
    Exactly, once you're away for a bit, you'll miss Galway really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Wow, I didn't realise I had to immediately rule out so many places. :)

I really like Freeneys, I was there the other night. I don't plan on being too picky though, I like to go whereever the wind takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yeah, you guys might be right, but I probably won't get away from it for a couple years at least, just started a new job here so I'll have to grin and bear it for a while anyhow. Sure might ask a bit of advice here myself, for someone whose gettin tired of Galway is there any nice spots around or outside the city that would be good for the odd weekend?, was thinking about Clifden, Westport, Sligo etc. just for the odd Saturday night...any of yee got experience with those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Get to Westport - great spot for a couple of days away .

I live in Sydney now , and do miss the oul' town the odd time , but then I remember the rain and cold and thank my lucky stars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ya Galway is a savage spot, and you defo appreciate it all the more when you're away from it, worked in Dublin for 2 years and I used to love coming down about once a month, id be smiling from ear to ear as the train pulled into Eyre Sq.. In Oz now, and the only things I miss is decent Guinness and Taytos. You'd prob think id say Bucky too, but alas I am not, cause im getting it out here for $240 a crate (bout 130 yo yos) Not too shabby! But getting back to the point, Galway is a top spot, its got the Sea, a river, a Uni, good folk and and a good laid back buzz to it, unlike the big smoke..

Advertisement