Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Relegation Predictions

• 17-07-2007 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭

Who does everyone think is going down?
    I'd probably have to go for West Ham, Wigan and Derby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Derby, Wigan, Fulham. Boro will flirt as will Birmingham and Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Derby, Wigan, Brum.

Bolton to be down there.

Sanchez will steer Fulham from trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bolton might or might not be down there, not sure. I've no idea how good Lee is as a manger to be honest, but Big Sam was very good, so we'll see.

People I expect to be in the mix:

Fulham
    Birmingham
    Derby
    Middlesborough
    Sunderland
    Wigan

Of that group, I think
    Derby
    Birmingham
    Wigan

will go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Derby, Charlton and one of Wigan or Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Derby, Charlton and one of Wigan or Birmingham.

Arent Charlton already gone?

Wigan, Man City and Birmingham (or Derby)

• Advertisement

Man City? With Sven in charge? They will be top table I think, maybe even UEFA.

West Ham will easily stay up, if only because of Ashton.

Oops! Still getting my head around end-of-season madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Precisely why with Sven in charge. Plus theyve lost Barton and Distin who were both influential last season and they still havent addressed their inability to do what matters...score goals. Unless Mpenza comes on in leaps and bounds or Sven spends very big in the next month then I'm gonna go all out and make such a bold prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Reading ftw. Second season syndrome. PLus they've brought no-one new in afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Derby and Wigan deffo.
    Plus one of
    Brum
    Fulham
    Bolton.

Don't think west ham or Citeh will go down. They've a few too many decent players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

15. Bolton
    16. Middlesbrough
    17. Reading
    18. Birmingham City (:D)
    19. Wigan Athletic
    20. Derby County

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

15. Sunderland
    16. Middlesbrough
    17. Fulham
    18. Birmingham City
    19. Wigan Athletic
    20. Derby County

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

wigan/boro
    birmingham
    derby

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wigan, Derby and Fulham or Sunderland. The signings the four of those teams have made scream relegation.

Birmingham on the other hand, look well prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sunderland
    Wigan
    Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brum to do well I think (this seasons Reading) the other two will struggle plus Bolton Fulham Wigan and Boro unless they start spending.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

cson wrote:
    Reading ftw. Second season syndrome. PLus they've brought no-one new in afaik.
    Should that not be ftl? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I feel sorry for Derby but unless a millionaire from Eastern Europe lands at Pride Park within the next month then they better start preparing for their 2008/2009 promotion campaign... even Billy Davies said before they were promoted that he didn't think the club or the squad was anyway ready to compete in the Premiership

Aside from Derby it's too hard to predict.... there is just too much money floating about the Premiership during this transfer window and as we all know 2 or 3 good signings before August could make a world of difference to the most mediocore of sides- for example if Man City didn't get their cash influx last week I'd be certain they would be heading down this season.

I think it will be Derby and 2 from these:

Middlesbrough
    Birmingham
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Manchester City
    Fulham
    Blackburn
    Reading

I can't pick any major difference in strength between those 8 teams, should be competitive stuff down at the bottom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Birmingham, Derby, Wigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sunderland's run of form last season was phenomenal, I see them as coming about 13th/14th, not nearer the bottom. Think Reading will be somewhere similar.

18. Birmingham (suckers to go down, again :D)
    19. Wigan
    20. Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Fulham will go down. No question. How Sanchez got that job I'll never know. His record as a club manager is muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

18. Birmingham
    19. Fulham
    20. Derby

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sunderland
    Reading
    Wigan
    Fulham
    Birmingham
    Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't care hwo else goes down, but i want to see West Ham crash and burn. PLEASE!

Anyone think Derby might stay up then :) I think they have two great talents in Barnes and Jones, who I think will stay up in the premiership, even if not with Derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Derby
    Fulham
    Sunderland
    Wigan
    Birmingham
    Bolton

I am surpirsed at how many weak teams there are in the prem. I would expect Wigan and Derby to definitely go down and a dog fight for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

18.fulham
    19.wigan
    20.derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Derby have a lot of young talent and Billy Davies is a good manager, but IMO it's a season or two too early for them.

A couple of weeks ago Fulham were one of my certs to go down, but I think they've made good signings so now I'm not so sure.

I think Derby and Wigan will go down, and one team from the following who I think will be in the mix:

Birmingham
    Fulham
    Boro
    Reading - Second Season Syndrome, losing their most influential player, lack of signings
    Sunderland - unpredictable...don't think they'll get relegated, but I don't think they'll reach the dizzying heights many are predicting
    Bolton - Another hard one to call, but I think they'll slip a good bit and at least flirt with relegation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mezcita wrote:
    Fulham will go down. No question. How Sanchez got that job I'll never know. His record as a club manager is muck.

He got Wycombe through to the FA cup semi final, but I agree, I think they will struggle this year.

Derby definately
    Brum, maybe
    Wigan Maybe
    Fulham Maybe
    Bolton Maybe
    Boro Maybe
    Reading, don't think so but not as good as last year
    Sunderland, start off good, then struggle then have a run at the end of the season that keeps them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I really think alot of people are underestimating Wigan and Fulham. Both have improved their squads over the summer and seem to have more money left in the piggy bank, they are no certainties to stay up but they are definitely looking in a better position than 12 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think sunderland look certain for the drop. There team is riddled with Championship players who would probably find the Premiership a gap too far and there's going to be a massive loss in morale as soon as they come up against decent opposition. The keane factor will wear off soon.

As for city, they'll stay up for sure. Sven is a great manager and Bianchi kept reggina up single handedly with an8 or 10 point deduction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Bubs101 wrote:
    I think sunderland look certain for the drop. There team is riddled with Championship players who would probably find the Premiership a gap too far and there's going to be a massive loss in morale as soon as they come up against decent opposition. The keane factor will wear off soon.

As for city, they'll stay up for sure. Sven is a great manager and Bianchi kept reggina up single handedly with an8 or 10 point deduction

Yeah, I would agree with that Bubs. Sunderland are a big price to go down at 5.0. Keane worked wonders last year but the likes of Michael Chopra (1 premier league goal ever) and Richardson (meh) are going to have a tough time keeping them up.

Sven, for all the abuse he gets off the English press, has a very good record in club management. City have some good youngsters too.

Whatever about the quality, Keane seems to have instilled the right mindset in the squad that could prove decisive when it comes to scrapping for points. They're also flush with cash, so if things are bleak in January, expect them to spend their way out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'll go with
    18. Wigan
    19. Birmingham
    20. Derby

...and Fulham just to avoid the drop in 17th place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Whatever about the quality, Keane seems to have instilled the right mindset in the squad that could prove decisive when it comes to scrapping for points. They're also flush with cash, so if things are bleak in January, expect them to spend their way out of trouble.

I think the fact they found it so easy in the championship once he took over is a negative. Keane hasn't had his plans go wrong fo him yet and thus he'll have to learn at the deep end. I haven't seen the fixture list but if they have a trip to the Bridge or Anfield early I could see them having a torrid time.

And as for flush with cash, I'd disagree. It's all relative and in the premiership at the moment Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa , Pompey,Man City, West Ham and Fulham ( if Al Fayed takes an interest) all have more and bar Derby, the other's all have strong sides. Sunderland have landed very few if any prime targets which is always a bad sign and they lack a star which even derby have in Barnes

Sat, 11th H Tottenham (PREM.)
    12:45
    Tue, 14th A Birmingham (PREM.)
    19:45 -
    Sat, 18th A Wigan (PREM.)
    15:00 -
    Sat, 25th H Liverpool (PREM.)
    12:45
    September
    Sat, 1st A Man Utd (PREM.)
    17:15 -
    Sat, 15th H Reading (PREM.)
    15:00 -

Very tough start, which I think will suit them. If they come out of that start, with 7-9 points, which I can see them doing, I think they'll be a solid mid-table team.

I really think alot of people are underestimating Wigan and Fulham. Both have improved their squads over the summer and seem to have more money left in the piggy bank, they are no certainties to stay up but they are definitely looking in a better position than 12 months ago.

yeh i think fulham have improved the squad a bit but not sure if its enough. I couldnt think of anyone that wigan bought thats why i put them in. Who have they bought to improve the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

redzerdrog wrote:
    yeh i think fulham have improved the squad a bit but not sure if its enough. I couldnt think of anyone that wigan bought thats why i put them in. Who have they bought to improve the squad?
    I don't think their signings are great by any means, which is why I have them to go down. Koumas had a great season with WBA but I don't know if he'll set the Premiership alight. Never really rated Sibierski, even though he got a couple of important goals for Newcastle last season. And Titus Bramble?? That's self-explanatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Kamara will add some much needed pace for Fulham upfront I think. I reckon they'll just about beat the drop

• Advertisement

Titus Bramble!!!! i change my seletions now they will finish bottom now;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I reckon Derby, Wigan and Sunderland will go down. Fulham and Birmingham will go close too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wigan
    derby
    sunderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If Boro end up selling Yakubu to Man City, then they could be in real trouble. It's hard to see where their goals will come from.

Yakubu will make a huge difference to City as well, it will add an extra 15 goals to the tally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Have Wigan got a hope of staying up? Kilbane and Bramble have started in defence in their 2 pre-season friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I reckon Wigan,Derby and either Middlesboro or Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Sunderland are so bad. Terrible players and the myth of ''Sundireland'' is over.

Craig Gordon will be good if they get him. He will be up there with the top 3 goalkeepers in the league. 1. Cech
    2.Gordon
    3.Given

Birmingham will be good, Daniel De Ridder what a signing.

Man City will get between 7th and 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Wigan, Derby and Fulham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Derby, Wigan, Fulham to go down

WH, Boro, and brum will be around. Reading and Sunderland will be lower half but likely not get dragged into the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sunderland
    Middlesboro
    Wigan
    Fulham
    Birmingham
    Derby

I've gotten 2 out of the bottom 3 correct every year for the last 5 years. Hoping to break that this year with these 3 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement