Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Problems, I Think

Options
  • 17-07-2007 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello.

I recently built a new computer with the following components.

Abit AB9 quad gt
    Intel core 2 duo socket 775 2.67ghz
    HIS radeon x1600 pro 512 mb
    Two 1gb memory chips OCZ platinum
    MS tech 550w power supply
    Maxtor 500gb 16mb 7200rpm
    LG dual layer lightscribe dvd-ram writer
    floppy

My motherboard has 24 pin and 8 pin power inputs.
    My power supply has 20 pin and 4 pin but also another 4 pin.
    So i thought that i could plug the 20 pin and one 4 pin into the 24 pin and one 4 pin into the 8 pin but the machine only powers on and gives me a abit logo.
    On www.komplett.ie there is a power connector that turns 4 pin things into 8 pin and 20 pins into 24, i am wondering if that would work if not can someone tell me what will.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Right the 24 pin and 8 pin connections are the newer ATX power standard.

Prior to those we had 20 pin and 4 pin power connections & the newer ATX standard retains backward compatibility with the older standard so the first thing to try is unplug the extra 4 pin connector and try powering it on.

The second 4 pin connector on your PSU is either the 24/20 pin addon or the 8/4 pin addon now it may be you have plugged the wrong power connector in unless they keyed it so it only worked in the correct slot.

Are there any markings on it like P4, P4+, E, EPS12v, ATX12v ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 quagmondo

8T8 wrote:
    Right the 24 pin and 8 pin connections are the newer ATX power standard.

Prior to those we had 20 pin and 4 pin power connections & the newer ATX standard retains backward compatibility with the older standard so the first thing to try is unplug the extra 4 pin connector and try powering it on.

The second 4 pin connector on your PSU is either the 24/20 pin addon or the 8/4 pin addon now it may be you have plugged the wrong power connector in unless they keyed it so it only worked in the correct slot.

Are there any markings on it like P4, P4+, E, EPS12v, ATX12v ?

Thank you for your reply.
    It says its an ATX 20 pin power connector.
    The second 4 pin power connector only fits in the 8 pin slot.
    The main 4 pin can go in either slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Okay then it seems to me that the "main 4 pin" is the extension for the 20pin ATX12v connector that turns it into the 24 pin EPS12v connector.

If you plugged that into the 8 pin connector (P4, P4+) & powered on the system then there is a chance you have damaged the motherboard so the only thing you can do is RMA it.

Advertisement