Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror charity shops - scam?

• 17-07-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Got a blue bag with note through the front door from an outfit called Mirror Recycling Shops who claim to have outlets in 5 towns/cities. Are they legit does anyone know?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

never heard of em, nearly every week now there has been stickers put through the letterbox at home for different charities lookin for clothes and the mother said it seems to be the same fella that collects the bags with sticker on em from outside ur house, and never heard of any of the charities on em and the reg charity and phone number is always the same, a scam i thinks, these clothes are probably ending up at the car boot sale in callan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I get 2-3 of these things a week, and they all go in the bin.

At least see if there's a registered charity number on the sticker. A landline, as opposed to a mobile, is usually a good sign too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This crowd have a landline type number (051 854606) but when I googled it I only got a previous thread on boards!

As you both say the stickers happen a few times a week but being a bag and with phone number I wondered if this one was legit.

Mike.

ring the number and ask where there located, ye avoid giving to the sticker men as we,ll now call em, cos no legit charity wud give a mobile number as a way to contact them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

listen unless they have a registered Irish Charity Number don't bother with them, they are a scam. A lot of them quote some registered charity number but sure that could be for anywhere (if it is a valid number at all). They should have an Irish Charity number.

Stick to the known charities and you will be fine. Steer clear of the crooks.

• Advertisement

low and behold i got another sticker through letterbox todayand it says on it reg no 5655565a and tel no is 0851033456 the reg charity num sounds so original don,t it and they claim on the sticker that ALL YOUR DONATED CLOTHES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES, ye right like unless ya call the callan car boot sale a developing country lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

low and behold i got another sticker through letterbox todayand it says on it reg no 5655565a and tel no is 0851033456 the reg charity num sounds so original don,t it and they claim on the sticker that ALL YOUR DONATED CLOTHES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES, ye right like unless ya call the callan car boot sale a developing country lol

Google for "5655565a" and see how many hits you get:D

Bards wrote:
    Google for "5655565a" and see how many hits you get:D
    jez it seems that its happening all over the place then eh same number and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can tell this country has no charity register.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The charity shop that is now Subway (behind Shaws) was called Mirror recycling shop, but I don't know if they are connected to this outfit.

When I lived in the city I used to get several clothes collection stickers/bags through the door a week from various "charities", and we left them out several times and they weren't collected. The only time a bag was collected I was out working in the back garden and a traveller woman came for it and drove off in a car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement