Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When can I cross a white line

Options
  • 17-07-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

When turning left on a road with a bus lane, is it OK to cross into the bus lane just before ithe solid white line breaks to allow for turning left. If I am totally guided by the left turn arrow on the road, i.e. wait until I am at it, some cars will already have streamed up the bus lane in advance of turning left, thus preventing me moving into that lane. If I wait untill all the cars have cleared I could be accused of not progressing satisfactorily as the cars behind me would be prevented from moving forward until I had moved into the other lane. Does that make sense.:confused: Have I any discretion in this. Please, please, help. Btw, my driving instructor indicated that I should move across into the lane but he wasn't sure!!! My driving test is coming up shortly and I want to make sure I follow all rules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it was me on my test (next week :( ) would enter the lane at the broken line and not before it. You'd be better off risking a blue fault for progressing than failing for being in the bus lane? Is there a road like this on your test route?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lostintime - it's a good question. If one were to look at it from a purely legal perspective then one would have to say that you must remain on the right hand lane until one passes the end of the continuous white line. However, in normal driving situations, I think most motorists and Garda Traffic Corps would prefer to keep the traffic moving.

The important thing is not to get too worked up worrying about specific issues that may never arise during your test. As tk123 says, is there a junction like this on your route? It is more important to concentrate on the issues that you will experience all along the test route. Remember, the examiner is not out to trick you - the benefit of any doubt is always given to the testee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lostintime

Thanks for your replies.

Yes there is a such a lane, probably 2, on my expected route although as it's Nortpoint I've only observed part of one route, nobody seems to know what routes are covered ('cept the testers :( ). I saw one guy during a test cross the line just a few yards ahead of his intended turn, but I don't know how he got on. My problem is. since my instructor wasn't sure what the correct procedure is, it has made me nervous. Not test related but once I saw a guy move out in advance of the left turn indicator line because his lane was backed up and just not moving. Unfortunately, he drove behind an unmarked Gardai car, the Gardai got out of the car showed his badge and insisted that the car following return to the other lane, for what appeared to me to be a short distance.

Good luck with your test next week TK

Again, thanks a million for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

lostintime - it's a good question. If one were to look at it from a purely legal perspective then one would have to say that you must remain on the right hand lane until one passes the end of the continuous white line. However, in normal driving situations, I think most motorists and Garda Traffic Corps would prefer to keep the traffic moving.

Used to see this all the time in rush hour traffic. People that would be turning left that move into the bus lane prior to the road markings. Traffic Corp had a field day handing out tickets like no tomorrow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yep, there's such a road setup near me as well. When the bus lane was first put in a year or two ago, often there would be a guard hiding behind a lamp post pulling in every single car that went into the lane too early. Needless to say people stopped doing it soon enough. Although I heard several people complain about how "unfair" it was the guard was hiding :rolleyes:

I'd say you'd be best to not pull in until you're directed to according to the road markings -- it's the other people who went into the bus lane too early who are holding up the traffic, not you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll stick with not crossing the solid white line in advance of the left turn markings. Thinking about it, if it was OK to cross the line,when turning left, that exception to the rule *never cross a white line* would appear in the latest version of the rules of the road.*(I hope). All your replies have helped me to think things through.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lostintime wrote:
    My problem is. since my instructor wasn't sure what the correct procedure is, it has made me nervous.

Please tell me you are joking. Your instructor did not know the procedure for entering a bus lane? They did not know whether or not you could cross a solid white line? Idiot. I hope he didn't charge you.

As has been pointed out, you should not enter the bus lane until it becomes dashed.

MrP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MrPudding wrote:
    As has been pointed out, you should not enter the bus lane until it becomes dashed.
    or until it becomes open to the public e.g. after 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote:
    or until it becomes open to the public e.g. after 7pm
    Forgot about that one.

MrP

Please tell me you are joking. Your instructor did not know the procedure for entering a bus lane? They did not know whether or not you could cross a solid white line? Idiot. I hope he didn't charge you

Trust me I'm not joking; when I told him about the incident which I had witnessed, ie. the Gardai insisting that a driver not move into the bus lane too early even when turning left, he said oh ok (paraphrasing)maybe you should stay where you are, I'll check it out with someone who knows about these things:( . It was only when I came home and thought about it, I realised what an idiot I had been in accepting and paying for the lesson. I can blame nobody but myself.:o

Some of the regulatory traffic signs permit driving in bus lanes at intermittent times during the day, i.e. 10.00am to 12.00am etc. as well as after 7.00pm, but I was more anxious about the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. So to be sure to be sure I'll stick with the letter of the law. Thanks again, cheers.

lostintime

• Advertisement
Advertisement