Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing irish

Options
  • 17-07-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Is it true that you fail the leaving cert if you fail irish? If so, would that prevent you from getting into I.T.s? Or does that only apply to maths? I'm not under risk of failing but several people I know are shítting bricks at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Steve01 wrote:
    Is it true that you fail the leaving cert if you fail irish? If so, would that prevent you from getting into I.T.s? Or does that only apply to maths? I'm not under risk of failing but several people I know are shítting bricks at the moment.

This information is readily available , tell these people to simply RTFM!!!.
    In short, No you do not fail your Leaving cert if you fail Irish.
    Quote my above statement to them and it will hopefully get across.
    Heh, I didn't even bother sitting Irish and am awaiting my 4 year course.
    People are either stupid or ignorant if they dont know this by now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well Irish isn't a requirement in IT's, and you can get away with fewer subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

DCU doesent require Irish for any of its courses just to add.
    I believe only the NUI Universities impose an Irish requirement.
    All level 8 courses in both IT colleges and Universities require 6 subjects minimum as a minimum, so you need the same number of subjects.
    The whole Irish requirement should be removed tbh, why do I need Irish to study Computer Science?, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Naikon is right, ya don't need it for DCU, IT's and I think Trinity.

But you do for UCD, Maynooth and a few others, UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

It is true that you once had to pass Irish in order to pass the Leaving, but since the rules were changed over two decades ago, that isn't a problem anymore.

It is true that the NUI constituent universities require a pass in Irish for matriculation, together with another lanuage, other than English. If you were exempt from Irish, then another modern European language will be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

They also require an Oral exam in Irish for any position there which most don't know.

Advertisement