Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.

Options
  • 17-07-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, i have 2mb internet wireless access at the moment.
    I have a dell pentium 4 comp at the moment with xp.
    I also have a gateway pentium 2 that i want to set up internet access as well.
    What do i need to get for this to happen?
    I am connected using Realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet nic on my dell.
    Do i need some Hardware installed in my Gateway or can u get something External.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mobil1 wrote:
    Hi, i have 2mb internet wireless access at the moment.
    I have a dell pentium 4 comp at the moment with xp.
    I also have a gateway pentium 2 that i want to set up internet access as well.
    What do i need to get for this to happen?
    I am connected using Realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet nic on my dell.
    Do i need some Hardware installed in my Gateway or can u get something External.

You will need an ethernet card for the gateway which presumably uses windows 98? So make sure whatever ethernet card you buy comes with an appropriate 98 driver - you can get a card for less that 15 euros.

You dont say if you have a router as part of your internet set up? If you just have a modem for the wireless connection then you will also need a router to allow for the two connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mobil1

What i have is the following.
    Wire coming directly into house from arial, going into a small box...ALVARIAN
    IDU, Electric is plugged into this, with connection into back of computor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

you need a router.
    line from roof comes into one port.
    then you connect your computers to the other ports.
    I have a ata one that lets me connect my phone as well.
    This one
    Komplett

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

John mac wrote:
    you need a router.
    line from roof comes into one port.
    then you connect your computers to the other ports.
    I have a ata one that lets me connect my phone as well.
    This one
    Komplett

You dont need a router like that for your particular requirements - that one is geared towards someone that wants to use the internet for phone etc - thats your next project after this one:)

A router allows one internet connection (such as you have via your Alvarian) to be shared by several pcs or laptops. You would connect your router to the alvarian and then connect your pcs to the router which takes care of all the technincal stuff involved in sharing the connection. You could buy a wireless one which in the future would allow you to add a wireless laptop for example) and in the shorter term disable the wireless function and connect your pcs by ethernet cable.

Something like this would do you fine: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

Advertisement