Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] cheapest LCD TV 32 - 37

• 17-07-2007 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking into buying a LCD TV in the next couple weeks was hoping to get somewhere between 32 and 37. have looked at komplett a lot are they the best?

any bricks and mortar stores better? or even better anywhere online?

would go around the 650 - 850 euro but if something comes highly recommended i would stretch thanks for the help.

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im looking for one myself, http://www.technikdirekt.de have good deals,

i wouldnt recommend LG tvs. These would be the cheaper LCDs but the picture is terrible, just like a normal tv

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

hi thanks for the links.. that technik crowd look good just have to convert the cm's to inches :D .

I dunno about b grade stuff do they have to state exactly all the reason why it is b grade or just one?

thanks for the help..

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

mjquinno wrote:
    hi thanks for the links.. that technik crowd look good just have to convert the cm's to inches :D .

I dunno about b grade stuff do they have to state exactly all the reason why it is b grade or just one?

thanks for the help..

M[/QUOTE

the model number usual indicates the size in inches, like 42 rbh dd and so on....42 being the inches of course:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

also look at contrast ratio and resolutuions. Cheap LCD tvs usually have lousy contrast ratios and the larger the tv this is more important for dark images on the tv. I bought a 40" LCD last year from Komplett. Nice tv, no complaints. Its one of the Samsungs and it costed e1919. 720p out, 5000:1 ratio, 1366X768 Resolution. Now you can get the same tv with true HD 1080p, 15000:1 ratio and 1920 x 1080 Resolution for e1600.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try laptops.co.uk I got mine there and very happy with it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

AntiRip wrote:
    also look at contrast ratio and resolutuions. Cheap LCD tvs usually have lousy contrast ratios and the larger the tv this is more important for dark images on the tv. I bought a 40" LCD last year from Komplett. Nice tv, no complaints. Its one of the Samsungs and it costed e1919. 720p out, 5000:1 ratio, 1366X768 Resolution. Now you can get the same tv with true HD 1080p, 15000:1 ratio and 1920 x 1080 Resolution for e1600.

so 1080p is a must really if i want to play HD dvds with hdmi etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

mjquinno wrote:
    so 1080p is a must really if i want to play HD dvds with hdmi etc

Well 1080p is true HD, the maximum output so I guess if you wanted to see the max effect this would be best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Can anyone tell me where I might get an 26" - 32" LCD TV for less then €400??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »

Thanks

I think you're looking for miracles there love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »

Thanks

Actually Argos have a 26" acoustic solutions TV for €399... I can't vouch for the quality though and I agree with AntiRip that cheap TVs often have poor contrast. He/she is also right that price continue to drop about 30% per year. Next year you will easily get brand 26" model for under 400...

Ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Acoustic Solutions LCD26805HD 26in HD Ready LCD TV from argos.co.uk cat no: 5292789 (argos.ie dosent recognise the cat no):
    70-5292789A68UC425792M.jpg
    elevision Picture Quality

* High Definition Ready.

* 26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size.

* Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

* Brightness 500 cd/m2.

* Contrast 800:1.

* Viewing angle 160/150 degrees.

* Progressive scan.

Connectivity

* 1 HDMI socket.

* 2 SCART sockets.

* Component video socket.

* Composite.

* Headphone socket.

* AV socket.

* Back DC socket.

Sound Quality

* Nicam stereo sound.

* 2 x 8w RMS power output.

Additional Features
    Teletext.

* Fastext.

* UHF and VHF tuner.

* Auto setup.

* Auto search tuner.

* Auto search sorting.

* Auto search labelling.

* Sleep timer.

* Child lock.

* NTSC compatible.

* Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries (included).

* 230v AC mains operation.

* Complete with tabletop stand.

* Size of TV (H)50, (W)70, (D)12.3cm.

* Size of TV with stand (H)54.5, (W)70, (D)21cm.

* Weight of TV 14.5kg.

* Weight of TV with stand 16kg.

* Suitable for wall mounting (brackets not included).

Price as per argos christmas gift guide €397.99 or 32in for 496.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I got Viewpia 37" lcd in DID Blanchardstown for €759, a paddys day special awhile back.
    It was setup next to much dearer big brand names & the picture quality was as good if not better,I belive they have a phillips lcd panel..I even haggled them down from €90 to €50 for the 3yrs extra cover,..it comes with a box of cables/adaptors like hdmi to dv, phono & vga cable for use as a pc monitor. model No LC37ie12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭south

PHILIPS 32" LCD TV HD Ready
    High definition LCD WXGA display
    resolution 1366 x 768p
    HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals
    Pixel Plus HD for better details
    depth and clarity in HDTV
    3D comb filter separates colours for a razor-sharp image
    Incredible Surround™ for enhanced audio enjoyment
    Compact and slim design that fits in every room
    1200 page Hypertext for instant fast access to teletext
    Dual HDMI input for full digital High Definition connection

€799.95

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=32PFL5322&subid=195

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am looking for this exact same thing right now - 32" - 37" LCD so will keep an eye on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭guest

south wrote: »
    PHILIPS 32" LCD TV HD Ready
    High definition LCD WXGA display
    resolution 1366 x 768p
    HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals
    Pixel Plus HD for better details
    depth and clarity in HDTV
    3D comb filter separates colours for a razor-sharp image
    Incredible Surround™ for enhanced audio enjoyment
    Compact and slim design that fits in every room
    1200 page Hypertext for instant fast access to teletext
    Dual HDMI input for full digital High Definition connection

€799.95

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=32PFL5322&subid=195

Pixel Plus HD is an excellent feature to have and definitely helps eliminate the current issues of motion blurring on some HD vids/games. Check out the below links for added info on PP-HD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_Plus

http://www.consumer.philips.com/televisions/2/pixelplus.html

Also, if you would rather a lower-cost model, there is a company on ebay called Luzerntech. I came across them one day and managed to snag a Philips for €400 euro incl. delivery. It was B-Grade (opened and returned within 28 days---my one happened to be perfect). All mine was missing was PP-HD and only has one HDMI but the former didn't bother me, and the latter is solvable by using a HDMI splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

power city have the following for 899

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=37PFL5322&subid=195

and currys have this one for 999 Sharp LC 37XD1E

http://www.pcwb.ie/catalogue/item/SHARTV23

Second one is true HD , i know that much.

Whats peoples opinions on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

hmmm, bought a 32 in phillips lcd hd ready ..yadda yadda.... about 2 mts ago. guy gets them up north, gives 1 yr guarantee... he's been coming around flogging T.V's for years, not stolen!!! buys them from the outlet type place ...i did wonder, but he has endless supply, all boxed (they have stickers on them saying why they were returned and what was fixed), all sizes all year round.
    paid 350euro, its perfect, no probs so far. also was sellin 42in same type for 650, but i haggled for weeks and think i got him on a not so flush day. im happy with what i got for the price i paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

themadchef wrote: »
    hmmm, bought a 32 in phillips lcd hd ready ..yadda yadda.... about 2 mts ago. guy gets them up north, gives 1 yr guarantee... he's been coming around flogging T.V's for years, not stolen!!! buys them from the outlet type place ...i did wonder, but he has endless supply, all boxed (they have stickers on them saying why they were returned and what was fixed), all sizes all year round.
    paid 350euro, its perfect, no probs so far. also was sellin 42in same type for 650, but i haggled for weeks and think i got him on a not so flush day. im happy with what i got for the price i paid

That's great, thanks for sharing!:p

I'm in the same boat as a few others... I've got €800 max to spend but want to get the best possible set for that money, one that looks great and will last for years...

Can anyone give a reason for me not to buy this one? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Pixmania have the 32" Hannspree in stock, looks like the JT model.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/635113/art/hannsg/xv32-lcd-television.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Are these really good TV's though?!

I'm very apprehensive of them considering they're so cheap and they're a pretty unknown brand.

Hopefully I will have a definite answer soon. To my mind, they should fill a gap for a few years until 1080p tv's come down to a sane level. Plus, they've got to be better than a 10 year old crt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

Onikage wrote: »
    Hopefully I will have a definite answer soon. To my mind, they should fill a gap for a few years until 1080p tv's come down to a sane level. Plus, they've got to be better than a 10 year old crt.

crts are still clearer and sharper for normal tv
    you need a hd box and monthly subscription from sky for a clear picture on them lcds/plasmas
    - cost you a fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Looking for a cheap 32" + CRT myself, anyone seen any good ones ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not much in good CRT's anymore, unless you buy a second hand one. I bought a flatscreen 32" Panansonic Quintrix last year for under €300 with stand and surround sound system. They were a fine set.

All the big names have stopped making CRT tellies, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

brightkane wrote: »
    power city have the following for 899

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=37PFL5322&subid=195

and currys have this one for 999 Sharp LC 37XD1E

http://www.pcwb.ie/catalogue/item/SHARTV23

Second one is true HD , i know that much.

Whats peoples opinions on them?

Are you absolutely sure the Sharp LC 37XD1E is going for €999 at Currys? That seems like too good a price for that model, and way way way to good for Currys!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Are you absolutely sure the Sharp LC 37XD1E is going for €999 at Currys? That seems like too good a price for that model, and way way way to good for Currys!?

Yes, it's true but the offer was supposed to end yesterday. However with the number of boxes around the floor I suspect they will keep selling until they are gone...

Certainly it's a good deal considering that this TV was over €2000 a year ago, but it just shows how TV tech progresses. This TV is now old tech, and they are trying to clear the sales channels of it. I guess it's good, but generally the TVs from this year, even the lower end models may be better.

Ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

yeah as the bloke above said its true.

what would be the best deal then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

Im just waiting for some place to drop the price of the Samsung LE37R87BDX, it's a bit pricey at €1199 in Currys, Dixons etc. A little too pricey for a 720p set.Anyone see this set cheaper anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

basquille wrote: »
    Are these really good TV's though?!

I'm very apprehensive of them considering they're so cheap and they're a pretty unknown brand.

Thats still more expensive than the Tesco €399 one i got during the year. And that one is grand.
    I have used their LCD monitors before. They are fine so the TV is probably ok too.

Well, my 37" JT hannspree arrived today and has so far beat my expections (although because brand is unfamiliar were not high). SD sky looks great on it. The only exception is if the feed bitrate is low, but then that always looks like crap even on crt. Gen 1 Xbox looks great. Occasional bleed, some dubious brightness adjustment but 90% of the time it is a vast improvement over the aged philips crt it replaced. Yet to try a true HD source. Haven't tweaked the settings yet.

So; it's a big improvement on what I had, it didn't cost silly money (>600) and I can upgrade in a couple of years for what will probably work out as the difference in cost between this and a super spiffy 1080 samsung or sony today.

I won't recommend it (several hours of watching plus buyers bias) but I would recommend seeing one in person if you have the opportunity. Would love to compare it to the Tesco one side by side ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

Onikage wrote: »
    Well, my 37" JT hannspree arrived today and has so far beat my expections (although because brand is unfamiliar were not high). SD sky looks great on it. The only exception is if the feed bitrate is low, but then that always looks like crap even on crt. Gen 1 Xbox looks great. Occasional bleed, some dubious brightness adjustment but 90% of the time it is a vast improvement over the aged philips crt it replaced. Yet to try a true HD source. Haven't tweaked the settings yet.

Thanks for the info, am keen on getting one of these myself. Where did you get the JT model from and how much was it altogether?

You can read up on settings here if it's of any use: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5504013&postcount=1720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

themadchef wrote: »

Contact details? Via pm if necessary!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just bought the 32" Philips 32PFL7762 - model just introduced recently - has the Pixel Plus 2, built in dvb-t tuner and 3 HDMI connections.

Setup last night - standard definition via NTL is excellent - better than many others I have looked at.

Price in Philips store in Dame street is Eur999 - Powercity price is Eur899 minus the "online discount" of eur54 - so price paid Eur845. Price compares well with UK prices.

I'm happy that this is a good deal, maybe others will disagree!

link to specs:
    http://www.tribaluk.com/philips-32pfl7762-lcd-television-01667272.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

AntiRip wrote: »
    also look at contrast ratio and resolutuions. Cheap LCD tvs usually have lousy contrast ratios
    Amen to that... I had a bitter 'lol' at the thread title... having seen some of the absolute crap at the low end of the price range I have to wonder why anyone would want the cheapest LCD TV.
    I bought one for around 700, it took me a few days to become disgusted with the lack of definition in dark scenes and come to the conclusion that it wasn't an issue I could tweak out with brightness/contrast.
    My advice is to either save your 800 until you've got 1500+ to spend on something acceptable, or buy a large lcd monitor for your PC and hook up a VCR to it or something.
    I think the cheap LCDs you get now must be all the old shít they're trying to get rid of... I'm steering clear until all these crap TVs are gone and the non-shít ones come down in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

AntiRip wrote: »

Excuse the ignorance but what is '720p out' What would you say is the 'best' set of specs; it is a bit of a minefield out there!! How important is the screen diag vis a vis the distance your viewing it from??

Thanks, Barry

Advertisement