Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma??

Options
  • 17-07-2007 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

EDIT: Dilemma fixed after all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Sorry its prob that I am pretty tired and all that jazz, but are you on the Access programme or not?

I thought the deadline for entering onto it was a few months back.

Anyway I am an Access student, or New ERA as its called in UCD. But I think its great. One of the big benifits is that they have 40 places in campus accomadation. And whoever wants it from New ERA is put into a hat basically and randomly choosen. So it won't be based on your location from the college.

But never say no to New ERA. Even if you dont get campus accomadation, which you dont find out until after the results anyway. But with New ERA you get a grant of about €1600 on top of your local authority grant and you also get a whole heap of support throughout the year if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'm not on the Access Program.

I'm finding it tough today 2 find accommodation for Cork UCC as well and the diggs cost 140 for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's roughly the price of digs. €20 per day including food, bills and rent is pretty cheap at the price in a city.

You could always move to somewhere outside the immediate vicinity of the University and commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Without knowing what this ACESS thingy is, could you get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Dontico wrote:
    Without knowing what this ACESS thingy is
    UCD New ERA aims to increase access and participation in higher education among those who for a variety of socio-economic reasons remain under-represented at third level.
    :)

• Advertisement

I found Accommodation for UCC @ €2400 a year, which is €63 a week, I will need the Access Program to get onto Pharmacy which is the extra grant of €1600 plus my Normal Grant of €6700 ==> €8,300, around €200 a week. I'll have €140 left over a week which is enough for food, bills etc.

So it looks good after all, I'll get around 500 points for my LC, is there a great chance they'll opt me for Pharmacy through the Access consdering they take people in @ 80-90% of course points, which I would satisfy??

I still think however, I will get on Pharmacology as getting on the scheme is hard enough.

If you qualify for Access they will accept you on it. You don't decide. And if Pharmacy is your number one and it is part of Access and you dont receive the points just falling short, they will put you on it.

What's the chances of getting on it do you know? For example, was there anything about you that you think that's why they placed you on the scheme?

Well I went to a disadvanted school, my father died so low income family and no trend of going to third level education in my family. Thats what they look for basically.

Advertisement