Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troll Fest in Harry Potter Forum

• 17-07-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Plenty of opportunity for cats in cloaks pics here but bare with me a sec.

Just wondering if there is a proper dedicated mod for the Harry Potter forum, I'm not sure there is. If possible could one of the mods keep a close eye on this forum for this week. Some people, myself included have been waiting two years for this and at present we have some trolling going on in the forum, posting spoilers without tags etc.

It could easily descend into a flame war with some of the less mature posters intent on ruining the book for others.

Thanks

PS Release the cats
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Anyone who reads a Harry Potter forum/thread at the moment and isn't expecting to read a spoiler of some kind is pretty naive.

I would suggest that people who are taking this book release particularly seriously should avoid the internet altogether 'til they read the book.

There are assholes everywhere and at the moment a lot of them have a mission and it'll be difficult to control their activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Amz wrote:
    Anyone who reads a Harry Potter forum/thread at the moment and isn't expecting to read a spoiler of some kind is pretty naive.

I would suggest that people who are taking this book release particularly seriously should avoid the internet altogether 'til they read the book.

There are assholes everywhere and at the moment a lot of them have a mission and it'll be difficult to control their activities.

I agree Amz but I was doing perfectly fine till Elites posted the content of winters sig without spoiler tags. At teh very least this Asshole behaviour should not go unpunished. Can offenders be banned from forum for this week?

I what? I've never posted in that forum.

I don't think you can ban people for doing that. I might not read the book for another year, surely someone's going to discuss it in that time and spoil it for me. I'm not going to expect them to be banned. Same with sports forums, if someone posts the result of a game I'll be peeved if I haven't seen it, but it's just them being a twat or not thinking.

Amz wrote:
    I what?

I don't think you can ban people for doing that. I might not read the book for another year, surely someone's going to discuss it in that time and spoil it for me. I'm not going to expect them to be banned. Same with sports forums, if someone posts the result of a game I'll be peeved if I haven't seen it, but it's just them being a twat or not thinking.

Sorry Edited. I said it arseways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Advertisement

Amz wrote:
    I what? I've never posted in that forum.

This week tho, its just trolling. Normally trolling gets a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i agree with gooner here, to be honest... im not a regular on the harry potter forum, but obviously this week, im gettin a lil more into it than usual, its fun to speculate, or discuss possibilities and stuff, but no fun to have blatant uncovered spoilers around the place.

although yes, i will be avoiding much on the internet until sunday, when ill probably be back on ready for avid discussion....

thrill wrote:

Yes I know I edited my post and apologised. Elites not Amz

No worries, I figured you'd made a mistake.

I know it's a ****ty thing to do, but unfortunately given the high number of spanners on these forums a week ban isn't going to deter these people. The possiblity of spoiling it for even one person will probably be enough!

My advice is to avoid the Harry Potter forum and possibly After Hours altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Elites almost ruined the book for me, by not spoilering 'Hermione Dies'

• Advertisement

Amz wrote:
    No worries, I figured you'd made a mistake.

I know it's a ****ty thing to do, but unfortunately given the high number of spanners on these forums a week ban isn't going to deter these people. The possiblity of spoiling it for even one person will probably be enough!

My advice is to avoid the Harry Potter forum and possibly After Hours altogether.

I respect what your saying Amz but like narco posted, fans have a right to be in there discussing the book and possibilities...its part of the fun. So why should I avoid it? I know Faith is a big fan so maybe she can temp Mod the forum?

Please? I enjoy the craic and i dont want to avoid forum to accomodate idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

zabbo wrote:

:eek:
    *bursts into tears*...how could you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

zabbo wrote:
    :O
    I know thats not true though

I am not posting any spoilers on the harry potter forum, if I was going to I would have them in spoilers. I have been following this whole leak thing around the net and also shall be at the launches so do have a small interest in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Can you not just cast a spell to get rid of trolls?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I agree with the OP on this one. Just because its a Harry Potter forum does not mean we shouldnt take it seriously. This kinda stuff wouldnt be permitted in other forums like "LOST".

Spoilers should be permitted, but only using the tag. Such topics should have a warning on the outside.

psi wrote:
    Can you not just cast a spell to get rid of trolls?

I thought mods were supposed to stop trolling or at least do their best to warn those they find doing it?

Sully wrote:
    I agree with the OP on this one. Just because its a Harry Potter forum does not mean we shouldnt take it seriously. This kinda stuff wouldnt be permitted in other forums like "LOST".

Spoilers should be permitted, but only using the tag. Such topics should have a warning on the outside.

And god forbid should I enter the Prison Break forum and start trolling.

I'm quite disappointed. There are a handful of posters in the HP forum this very minute causing trouble and the whole thing is just descending into chaos.

As far as I can see the reported posts have still not been removed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It looks like Funky Penguin hasn't been on in a while. A smod will be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

thrill wrote:
    I thought mods were supposed to stop trolling or at least do their best to warn those they find doing it?
    I'm not a mod of the harry potter forum, I'm justa normal user there.

My powers only work in the forums I mod....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Mods cant always be around 24/7, they have to sleep too know know :)

Im sure one of the cat mods shall be poking their head into Feedback or see the reported posts soon enough to fix it all up anyway. Dont worry.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    I'm not a mod of the harry potter forum, I'm justa normal user there.

My powers only work in the forums I mod....

Thats a pity.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan myself (Cant stand him actually) but I think it's unfair whats being done to fan's on that forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

The point here was that the thread in question was started specifically to warn HP fan that genuine spoilers had been leaked (not just general discussion on theories, etc.), and people are coming into the thread and deliberately posting possibly genuine spoilers without tags just to try and ruin it for everyone else, or is the case of user robnubis, trying to trick people into reading spoilers that he has labelled as something else. Why should this be tolerated here when it wouldn't be tolerated on any other forum?

HP fans should not have to avoid boards for the next week just because these immature idiots are being allowed to get away with what they're doing, we want to be able to come online and discuss meeting up for the book launch, etc.

Amz, I get what you're saying about avoiding obvious spoilers, that's what the topics dedicated to discussing spoilers are for. Obviously these should be avoided. My problem is people trying to sneak them in to seemingly innocent topics such as this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53605176#post53605176 and this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055089014 where fans are going to talk about their plans for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

well its all in spoiler tags or in links, but spoiler is mentioned in all my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

robnubis wrote:
    well its all in spoiler tags or in links, but spoiler is mentioned in all my posts.

Yeah, ever since you have edited all of your misleading posts.

Agree with OP, 'tards should be banned just like they would be from Lost etc...

robnubis wrote:
    Haha, yeah. You may have casually mentioned the word "spoiler" all right, concealed in the middle of a completely innocuous sentence. No point trying to cover your tracks now.

To quote your original post in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055122315, before you so cunningly edited it:
    Yeah this was broke on the news just there, they posted a list of places to not visit and also a press release from Bloomsbury saying that some of this is in fact all fake

News Article Here (link to spoiler removed)

Luckily it does prove that some of the spoilers are fakes(if you have been told some you'll be happy to hear they've said most arent real!)

2 moar days!!

robnubis wrote:
    Yeah, darn you were quick. Too quick. I think you win.

I'll probably be b& from HP, and i leave knowing full well bounty_hunter pwnt me.

In the end, it sucks that Snape
    dies

(4 letter word, two vowels)

Hes blatantly trolling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Trolling isn't banned on all forums, charters differ.

I don't read HP. If I did read all previous (5/6/7?) books I would avoid the forum until I got hold of the book and had a read.

It's bad form for people to go into HP that aren't normally posters there and behave like this. A few posters spammed/trolled a forum a while back inducing temporary site-bans to teach them a lesson.

So report away, you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hanging around in Harry Potter forums before a book launch is like hanging a sign saying "Tell me the ending!" around your neck tbh.

That's completely beyond the point Nesf. This wouldn't be tolerated in any other forum, and the posters already mentioned are directly going against the HP forum charter by posting spoilers without warning. I have yet to see such a thing go unpunished anywhere else on the site, why should this be an exception?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's completely beyond the point Nesf. This wouldn't be tolerated in any other forum, and the posters already mentioned are directly going against the HP forum charter by posting spoilers without warning. I have yet to see such a thing go unpunished anywhere else on the site, why should this be an exception?

If the charter's been broken then I'm sure the offenders will be dealt with. Give the relevant mod(s) a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement