Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troll Fest in Harry Potter Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That's completely beyond the point Nesf. This wouldn't be tolerated in any other forum, and the posters already mentioned are directly going against the HP forum charter by posting spoilers without warning. I have yet to see such a thing go unpunished anywhere else on the site, why should this be an exception?

Spoilers are a grey area. Winters for instance hasn't done anything wrong imho, he's using spoiler tags and some people like reading spoilers for some reason. People not using spoiler tags is not very nice etc and Films has a reasonable policy for dealing with it and should be used as a model for this.

However, as stated above, it was going to happen and it's impossible for mods to watch the place all the time, so really you shouldn't be surprised that this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nesf wrote:
    However, as stated above, it was going to happen and it's impossible for mods to watch the place all the time, so really you shouldn't be surprised that this happened.

Yes but its onging and reported posts havent been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The moderators aren't all online all the time, it's impossible to expect a volunteer mod to be able to respond to a reported post immediately.

You have to be patient, while most of us try to deal with reports promptly it's not always possible. Life sometimes gets in the way.

It's unfortunate that your reading and enjoyment of the boards is reduced at the moment, but it's a fact of life on the internet that the asssholes will try and make your life miserable in the lead up to an event like this book launch.

Like I said above, the type of punishment you're suggesting will not deter the type of person who wants to spoil this book for you. They're not fans they don't care, they'll likely never read the forum again after this Friday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

nesf wrote:
    Spoilers are a grey area.

boom boom

boom boom

At least someone appreciates my efforts. :)

TheGooner wrote:
    Yes but its onging and reported posts havent been removed.

They've been removed from AH by Terry at least.

*shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Where did I say I was surprised? Everybody just wants to see that these trolls don't get away with it, that's all we're asking.

Not only are the offenders not using spoiler tags, but they're actually inserting hidden spoilers into general conversation and labelling them as something else so as to try and trick people into reading them. Now obviously a lot of people aren't going to fall for that bull****, but there are plenty of others who will be coming along not having read all this and therefore not realised what is going on, and could very easily click into something misleading when the whole point of the thread I started was to make people aware that genuine spoilers were floating around and to be wary of them. Thus making the title of my thread misleading in itself, because regular readers of the HP forum may click into it expecting it to be helpful, and instead it's full of random spoilers some asshole has posted.

You may argue that people stupid enough to randomly click links without checking their source first deserve to have the book spoiled, but there is no denying that robnubis made his original (before he edited them) posts sound quite convincingly helpful, so one could be forgiven for lapsing into a false sense of security. I just feel that trolls shouldn't be allowed to get away with deliberately malicious and spiteful behaviour such as this. Obviously forums can't be monitored 24/7, but now this has already happened, regular posters on the HP forum would like to see something done about it whenever a mod gets the chance. Nobody is expecting it to be done immediately.

What we're suggesting is that perhaps somebody could just keep an eye on the HP forum for the next couple of days as its own mods appear to be absent at the moment. Would this be possible?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Harry Potter
    Greedy bitch writes 8th book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't understand why people get so upset about it, it's just a harry eats ron

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

After taking a gawk, I honestly think that robnubis is going around posting spoilers (and only started to add spoiler tags after complaints of him posting then in general) delibrately to piss people off.

ecksor: Feedback not taken seriously by yourself, no? Would of expected a tad bit better from an admin tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I haven't even followed the links yet so I can't be sure if I'll take it seriously, but at least now I know what's expected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ecksor wrote:
    I haven't even followed the links yet so I can't be sure if I'll take it seriously, but at least now I know what's expected.

Well I think the chaps over in the HP Forum would appreciate any time you could dedicate to looking at this issue. Its only the one or two topics and a few posts in there. Most rectified into spoiler tags since the OP complained (it seems) but there is still an issue with the users of that forum and the user robnubis.

Also, some one has registered a new account and posted spoilers without any warnings or tags. A direct breach of the guidelines and im sure you will find that the account is linked to another one on Boards - and I do believe two Boards.ie accounts are not permitted, unless certain circumstances are agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sully wrote:
    Also, some one has registered a new account and posted spoilers without any warnings or tags. A direct breach of the guidelines and im sure you will find that the account is linked to another one on Boards - and I do believe two Boards.ie accounts are not permitted, unless certain circumstances are agreed.
    This person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

15 of the 20 most recent reported posts are HP related. Jesus... f**king assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

TmB wrote:
    15 of the 20 most recent reported posts are HP related. Jesus... f**king assholes.

Someone has created a thread saying that the Potter book will only cost 4.99 in easons but anyone clicking on the thread will be faced with details of the book without spoilers.

So expect more reports.

SofaKing wrote:

Yup.

TmB wrote:

I really hope your not reffering to those who made the reports as "****ing assholes". Just because HP doesnt interest others, does NOT mean that those who feel pissed of at a troll who spoils it for genuine fans of the book (remember, the admins DID give permission for that forum to be created. There would have been the support for it) should be treated like rag dolls.

They have an interest in the topic, someone is spoling it for them, the matter should be dealt with. The idea of "Report" is to bring to the attention of a moderator that the post somehow breaks the guidelines in that users opinion.

Im not bothered about it, however, I agree with the OP. It really isnt fair on genuine fans of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was one of the reporters, Sully. :)
    I meant the assholes spoiling the book (Duh!)

I'm looking forward to the book this weekend, and I don't want it spoiled by some 2-post asshole donkey f**kers.

TmB wrote:

I'm looking forward to the book this weekend, and I don't want it spoiled by some 2-post asshole donkey f**kers.

Fair enough.

I had an enjoyable conversation with someone "bubbles" (bubbles@iol.ie) on MSN. Spammed me with the spoilers, and eventually called me an idiot and went onto say how he rapped my mother.

Very amusing conversation with a low life. Its clear that his intelligence is pretty slim. God help the uneducated wasters of this world. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Leave Bubbles alone, he's just a victim....

Sully wrote:
    God help the uneducated wasters of this world. ;)

Indeed. They've been scammed horribly by this shadowly Rowling figure. Some of them have even been brainwashed to the extent of thinking that she can write! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nesf wrote:
    Indeed. They've been scammed horribly by this shadowly Rowling figure. Some of them have even been brainwashed to the extent of thinking that she can write! :eek:

Rowling makes Dan Brown's stuff seem like literature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

TheGooner wrote:
    It could easily descend into a flame war with some of the less mature posters intent on ruining the book for others.

Well it is a kids book :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TmB wrote:
    I meant the assholes spoiling the book (Duh!)

I agree wholeheartedly. Ive read the books since I was around 12 and while I am not a hardcore fan all these people mentioning the death of a certain character annoys me - and I dont even go near the HP forums, I was told it by someone on MSN and by someone in this thread too FFS. I am definitely going to read the book and enjoy it - as I have the others - but such information does truly damage the book - they are just great stories, and when the story is ruined, its hardly like JK leaves us with any fine literature to console us with.

And just because it is Harry Potter - which I know some people despise for valid reasons - doesn't mean it should be treated like any less of a deal than someone ruining, say, The Prestige, which apparantly someone did here very soon after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

psi wrote:
    Ha!

Very good psi, nicely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

psi wrote:
    Ha!

Innocent victim to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Bubbles the... errr 'house elf' - is that what you call em?? the things that look just like smeagol? ;) not that its a rip off or anything, gee I'd never imply that!

(closet Potter fan hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Free teh Parry Hotter goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm not going to read the rest of the thread because I'm scared of spoilers (yes, I'm a wuss :P ) but I think anyone posting spoilers should be banned. Had a few people already try ruin it for me and it's just sad. I've been reading these since primary school so I do look forward to them yet some people feel the need to wreck it. It's not nearly as bad as ruining one episode of Lost or Prison Break as there'll be another ep in a week's time. We've been waiting for this book for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

I was made an martyr today.

Nevar forget me.

But i have to say Ecksor has an awesome sense of humour lulz.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

robnubis wrote:
    I was made an martyr today.

Nevar forget me.

:(

more like you got what was coming to you today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement