Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troll Fest in Harry Potter Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sully wrote:
    Spammed me with the spoilers, and eventually called me an idiot and went onto say how he rapped my mother.

Was it a Gangsta' rap? :p Good old Bubbles, tried to ruin Transformers on me as well.........but I ignored him. I know you're reading this Bubbles........go aweh!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

copacetic wrote:
    more like you got what was coming to you today.

touche?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

robnubis wrote:
    I was made an martyr today.
    Tbh, Funky should have confiscated your magic wand before she banished you!

Magic Wand...Banished...Wow.

No, World of Warcraft is something else again, quite different from either Harry Potter or, indeed, Stargate. ;)

• Advertisement

No, World of Warcraft is something else again, quite different from either Harry Potter or, indeed, Stargate. ;)

...I see

And i'm the one who gets banned? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

*cough* he *cough* :)

I'm sorry it took so long to get around to dealing with this situation, but unfortunately I work nights these days. I've PMed Admins with requests of giving Faith Modship of the HP forum, so patience etc. :)

Actually...ecksor.. some help if you could?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is all part of Tom Riddle's plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

This is all part of Tom Riddle's plan.

lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

You aint seen me................ right?

URL=http://imageshack.us]img3625mt7bk0.jpg[/URL]

6f4peu8gi2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Very good Your Holiness! :D

GrammarCat.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bond-007 wrote:
    Very good Your Holiness! :D

GrammarCat.jpg

Hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

hehe!! You have the opposite problem to me then! Everyone on here thinks I am a guy :(

Well... there you go! Maybe I should have called myself pinkribbons&bows or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Perhaps a dedicated Trolling Harry Potter forum is needed? Anything outside gets a short ban, possibly a move to HP TROLL if it was especially funny , but in the HP TROLL anything goes?

This problem isn't going to go away. As much as I don't give a damn about HP, I don't want to be reading tons of "Wah wah, he spoilered the book for me" posts; I'd like the problem solved and solved well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm told the best way to deal with trolls is to get them into sunlight, turns them straight to stone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Or stick a wand up their nose and hit them with their own club. Tried and tested technique. :)

Attol wrote:
    I'm not going to read the rest of the thread because I'm scared of spoilers (yes, I'm a wuss :P ) but I think anyone posting spoilers should be banned. Had a few people already try ruin it for me and it's just sad.

You could put people on ignore, and cancel signatures appearing. Should limit it a bit, apart from people spouting stuff mid-thread.

Tbh, I've heard lots of theories before the book comes out so I'm doubting there'll be much surprise, but it's 'how' it'll come to happen which intrigues me.

:eek:

/grovels on floor in abject apology!

Not even sure WHY I thought ... idea in my head from ages back ...! llgetmecoatla3.gif

Anyway, back OT ... <_<

Not even a major HP fan myself, just don't see why someone should deliberately spoil the fun for those who are ...

Perhaps someone spoiled Christmas for him at an early age, and he's still acting out of that trauma? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

TheGooner wrote:
    I know Faith is a big fan so maybe she can temp Mod the forum?

I am taking modship of the forum soon, but I won't be reading it until I've finished the book (Sunday, probably). It's sad that people are posting spoilers and indeed sad that the book has been leaked. I've sigs off so I haven't seen anything, not to mention not visiting the forum now. I must commend funky penguin for dealing with the issue. If it had been me, I'd have just appealed to a CMod or SMod who doesn't read the books.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote:
    I am taking modship of the forum soon, but I won't be reading it until I've finished the book (Sunday, probably). It's sad that people are posting spoilers and indeed sad that the book has been leaked. I've sigs off so I haven't seen anything, not to mention not visiting the forum now. I must commend funky penguin for dealing with the issue. If it had been me, I'd have just appealed to a CMod or SMod who doesn't read the books.

its kinda like calling the firemen after the fire has burned he house down. I predict a quick demise for HP forums after the last book. No loss either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All the traffic will be back in paranormal where the real wizards are, I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

psi wrote:
    I predict a quick demise for HP forums after the last book. No loss either.
    And here's me thinking you'd be into wizardry.

psi wrote:
    its kinda like calling the firemen after the fire has burned he house down. I predict a quick demise for HP forums after the last book. No loss either.

Ah yes, psi, always with the constructive comments.

I suppose, by your logic, then everyone in the entire world will read the book within the first two days of its release, spend a week discussing it, and then forget that it, and the entire series, ever existed. The final two films won't exist either. Or people won't wait a while before reading the book, and then want to discuss it.

Really, it's like that trilogy of books... What was it called again? Oh yeah, the Lord of the Rings. Sure, as soon as the third book was released and read, the whole world forgot about it.

Faith wrote:
    Ah yes, psi, always with the constructive comments.

I suppose, by your logic, then everyone in the entire world will read the book within the first two days of its release, spend a week discussing it, and then forget that it, and the entire series, ever existed. The final two films won't exist either. Or people won't wait a while before reading the book, and then want to discuss it.

Really, it's like that trilogy of books... What was it called again? Oh yeah, the Lord of the Rings. Sure, as soon as the third book was released and read, the whole world forgot about it.

I think that would be closer to your logic Faith.

Well its not exactly heavy reading, but 2 days is probably a bit much, I'd say give it 2-3 months after the book release, everyone who has been conned into thinking that HP is a type of literature will have gotten it. Maybe another month or two of painful discussion over what happens after or whether the author will cash in on a nations illiteracy and write another book and then thats it bar a few sporadic posts around the movies.

I've read Harry Potter books specifically because I've worked with young kids. It was the worst part of the job on any given day.

All the traffic will be back in paranormal where the real wizards are, I guess.
    And here's me thinking you'd be into wizardry.

Ermmm cheap shots aside, I think everyone seriously misunderstands my role in the paranomal forum.

I'm just there as an enforcer. If anything, I'm Scully.

psi wrote:
    Well its not exactly heavy reading, but 2 days is probably a bit much, I'd say give it 2-3 months after the book release, everyone who has been conned into thinking that HP is a type of literature will have gotten it.

Nobody reads HP thinking that it's "literature". Nobody attempts to compare it to any of the great classics. It is, at its core, a fantastical children's book. The books achieve quite a feat by entertaining both children and adults. It contains enough mystery to keep people talking about it, and anticipating the next release. It never attempts to be anything other than what it is.

Just because you don't enjoy it does not mean it lacks any merit.

Faith wrote:
    Nobody reads HP thinking that it's "literature". Nobody attempts to compare it to any of the great classics. It is, at its core, a fantastical children's book. The books achieve quite a feat by entertaining both children and adults. It contains enough mystery to keep people talking about it, and anticipating the next release. It never attempts to be anything other than what it is.

Why not read something with all those elements that isn't some crappy franchise and will actually challenge you.

Adults reading the Harry Potter books is an example of the dumbing down of current society imho.
    Just because you don't enjoy it does not mean it lacks any merit.
    Maybe not, but I've read alot of childrens books to kids, and I've enjoyed some of them.

Potter is by the number, cliched writing at it's worst. I'm pretty sure I could guess how it all ends with a basic knowledge of the books and no spoilers.

If you want good, clever literature with the elements you describe, go read Umberto Eco or if you want it lighter, even Douglas Adams.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

psi wrote:
    ...go read Unberto Ecco...
    I've only read Foucault's Pendulum, and thought it lost something in translation. Made me wonder if it read better in Italian. Thumping yarn, mind.
    psi wrote:
    ...or if you want it lighter, even Douglas Adams.
    QFT.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    I've only read Foucault's Pendulum, and thought it lost something in translation.

Made me wonder if it read better in Italian. Thumping yarn, mind.

Yeah, alot of his books give that impression.

Specifically if you want something with mystery and potter like fantasy try either Baudolino (which is a great book even if it does get incredibly surreal at times) and The Name of the Rose.

Both (especially Baudolino) should have everything adult Potter fans like and are actually worthwhile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement