Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Car w/ a UK Private Plate

Options
  • 17-07-2007 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello all,

Couldn't find anything on this through the searches - probably just not using them right. :rolleyes:

I'm looking to buy a car in the UK at the moment that currently has a private plate. The owner has agreed to take this off the price he's asking and sell it seperately as it's obviously no good to me. My question is: if he takes the plate off, will I have to drive the car back without any plate? Or is there a temporary plate that you can get?

Probably very obvious - just thought of it there and can't think of the answer??? :confused:

Thanks a lot...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Can he not take the plate back after you have driven it to IRL?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've been through this one myself. The owner will have to put the private plate on retention, whereupon the car will revert to its previous registration mark. This will take a couple of weeks. You will then be able to bring the car back and reregister it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What he said, a friend of mine did the exact same thing. The car had 3 registrations in it's life in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

did this in March too, had an agreement with owner to bring it back here first. Transfer to age-related plate took 5 weeks, so bear that in mind....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    did this in March too, had an agreement with owner to bring it back here first. Transfer to age-related plate took 5 weeks, so bear that in mind....
    Just one point, and I think it's only relevant to older cars. I brought in a 1988 BMW 325i with a private plate worth £5,000. I had agreed with the owner not to reregister the car until he had put the plate on retention. The following week, having contacted the DVLA, they told the owner that they would have to have sight of the car before the plate could be reassigned. I ended up bringing the car back to DVLA Swansea on a day trip for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

5 weeks?!? :eek:

Frickin hell. I'd nearly buy the private one off him rather than wait! :rolleyes:

Might work out for the best anyway. Due back from holidays in 5 weeks. Thought I'd be able to get a few drives in before I left though. Ah well.

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If you buy the car with the private plate can you then resell the plate yourself even with the car reregistered here?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

It's an option I suppose. Although there may be some condition that you need to hold a UK address in order to be able to hold and/or sell a UK plate? To be honest, I'd be happy to let him sell the plate himself and take the cost off his asking price.

Just awaiting agreement that he'll allow an RAC/Dekra check. All going well with that, we'll be on the way...

eireal wrote:
    If you buy the car with the private plate can you then resell the plate yourself even with the car reregistered here?
    No, once the car is reregistered here it is deregistered by the DVLA and the plate is lost. The only way to do it, as GoalsGoneWild says, is to register the car yourself to a UK address, put the plate on retention, and then reregister the car here.

Advertisement